• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It's not a shell game. It's entirely irrelevant (unless someone asks) as you are dealing with the person in front of you.

But the art world is also VERY different than nearly anything else I can think of. Ultra exclusive, ultra knowledgeable, ultra thin market.

It's very different when you're selling a one off SA cover grail (of which there is one) than when you are selling a NM #98 CGC 9.8 (of which there is 100,000).

Art is a world to itself.

Or, like as has happened to me, someone contacts me via email saying they have a piece to sell. I ask if it's theirs, as they are a part time sorta dealer on the side, kinda, and they say yes. Then they start throwing out prices. I tell them I will think it over.

Then I get an email from the person who actually owns the piece (on the same day), asking for help moving it, what he wants for the piece is half of what I was just quoted by the other guy. lol

Boom. Little stuff like that...easy things to just be honest about. Makes no sense why the guy lied and said it was his.. Guaranteed I'd never be able to deal with him again.

If a person goes out of their way to tell you that they own something (whether or not you ask them first) they should probably be telling the truth. Creating something fictional when factual works just fine makes no sense to me.

I cannot be bothered with that nonsense. I believe in what comes around goes around. If I know of something that someone is looking for I will PM them and point it out to them. People have done the same for me. They don't ask for a finder's fee or as an intermediary to negotiate the deal, they simply introduce me to the person.

What goes around comes around.

Something that seems unique to these boards is the amount of sellers that claim they DON'T own the books they are selling. For instance, you PM an offer and the response is, "Sorry, there's no room to negotiate. I'm selling this for my buddy/brother/local comic shop owner/pastor." I've gotten variations of this response probably a dozen times over the last couple years. I suppose that's an easy tactic to avoid negotiating but it's also just as easy to state, "Thanks for the offer but my price is firm."

Something that seems unique to these boards

Something else that is unique to these boards is how much emotional baggage each deal can bring, because lots of people know each other and for a long time. It makes lots of things get out of hand when they normally shouldn't.

If a person goes out of their way to tell you that they own something (whether or not you ask them first) they should probably be telling the truth. Creating something fictional when factual works just fine makes no sense to me.

Of course, telling the truth is always the best policy but getting back to the last few pages this entire thing was a convoluted mess.

Swick was bypassing John's ignore function to buy a book for JD who was on ignore.

The basis of all the pitchforks, the book being actually sold, was tossed out as a fabrication.

Pitchforks were drawn by many (I think you were on the side of the pitchforks most of the time).

And then fences were mended once Greg came and set the record straight.

It just shouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place.

Of course, telling the truth is always the best policy but getting back to the last few pages this entire thing was a convoluted mess.

1)Swick was bypassing John's ignore function to buy a book for JD who was on ignore.

2)The basis of all the pitchforks, the book being actually sold, was tossed out as a fabrication.

3)Pitchforks were drawn by many (I think you were on the side of the pitchforks most of the time).

4)And then fences were mended once Greg came and set the record straight.

It just shouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place.

I numbered the points for ease of reference. lol

1)John bypassed his own ignore function to contact the very same forumite when a premium was dangled in his sales thread. That's what we call in the business a "soft ignore". So that's a moot point.

2) The status of the book being sold or not being sold was put into doubt by what John told Chris. Had he been upfront from the jump and not made up a story about the book not being sold and offering to sell it as his own I wonder how far this would have gone. My guess is nowhere.

3) Pitchforks were drawn....the catalyst was what John told Chris, that he still owned the book and would sell it above his original asking price, which turned out to be...well..let's just call it "south of accurate"

4) Fences began to get mended when Greg made his statement, that's true. Most people, yourself included, completely bypassing the fact that Greg's statement (explaining the deal) and John's message to Chris don't match. Materially, Greg clarified who owns the book. That's great. What it doesn't explain is why anyone felt the need to create a fiction regarding ownership.

The people who thought they were aggrieved at the time may have jumped the gun, but that's only because they were taking what John said at face value and could not reconcile the contradiction between what they were each being told.

It's hard to beat someone up for lodging a complaint that turns out to be false when the reason they lodged the complaint in the first place was because they were given a misleading statement that turned out to be inaccurate.

So we agree. It should have never gotten to this point in the first place. The first place is when people started being less than forthright in their characterizations and thereby misleading others.

Thank you Chris. :foryou:

At the same time I want to say :sorry: because I know this won't end here.

At random points throughout the day, I will be text messaging you to let you know you are a bad person.

At random points throughout the day, I will be text messaging you to let you know you are a bad person.

i3t7xj.gif

And just so you know, and everyone knows. This wasn't for you personally.

I don't take sides based on an issue because of who I know or don't know. What's fair is fair and what's honest is honest. I've had fights with people here, but that would never stop me from standing up and saying what I think is right.

When I see something like this that is easily avoidable simply by being transparent and forthright, I am going to speak up.

I don't think I've ever bought a book from you or sold a book to you. I can't remember, but it wouldn't be a reason to speak up regardless.

I don't have any agenda in this other than what's fair and what's honest. That's how I do business. That's how I was a comic dealer, that's how I live my professional life.

I don't "round off corners" in business deals or make up details. It may cost me money in the short term and I may not make the most on any given deal but I know who I am and I know what's right.

I can see how you and Chris might have been led to the conclusion you made. I may have handled it differently, personally, but that doesn't mean I can't see the reasons why. I little more transparency, a little less artifice, and this never happens. I can see how you misconstrued John's actions and words, and how you got to the conclusion you made, even though it wound up being incorrect according to Greg.

Oh and you should be ashamed of yourself for that offer on the Harbinger #1...ya fargin lowballer. :censored:

Can someone recap what we learned here today or yesterday so that future generations won't make the same mistake?

Buy your own books.

Be quick with the :takeit:

Know a good deal when you see it.

Take a good deal when you know it.

Pay immediately while you still can.

Ask the same question of the same person three times and make sure the answers you get match.

If there's a teeny tiny gap in the storyline, close it, or watch people leap through it.

Don't care about comics or money so much that you get angry or do something you probably shouldn't in the heat of passion (or commerce).

Can someone recap what we learned here today or yesterday so that future generations won't make the same mistake?

Buy your own books.

Be quick with the :takeit:

Know a good deal when you see it.

Take a good deal when you know it.

Pay immediately while you still can.

Ask the same question of the same person three times and make sure the answers you get match.

If there's a teeny tiny gap in the storyline, close it, or watch people leap through it.

Don't care about comics or money so much that you get angry or do something you probably shouldn't in the heat of passion (or commerce).

It's funny that you delineate exactly what Harveyswick and Junkdrawer did wrong yet you admonish Spectre.

He had just called them absolute junk and had four of them! :D(shrug):shy:

That doesn't change the fact lol

Also, it's not like you were defending someone tooth and nail who absolutely didn't deserve it... :whistle:

:baiting:

He had just called them absolute junk and had four of them! :D(shrug):shy:

That doesn't change the fact lol

Also, it's not like you were defending someone tooth and nail who absolutely didn't deserve it... :whistle:

:baiting:

:angel::shy:

Besides, I thought I only take popular positions and jump on board with mobs? (shrug)