• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Sorry, I skimmed Greg's post and didn't recognize the bolded part as differing. Gotcha.

Yeah, John should maybe have just relayed Greg's message as a middle man rather than make it sound like the book was his to offer. Fair point.

That's all I'm saying. Just lay it out plain and no one can ever call you out for being anything but. [/quote

+462

Glad it was resolved but this was not 100% jumping the gun.]

Sorry, I skimmed Greg's post and didn't recognize the bolded part as differing. Gotcha.

Yeah, John should maybe have just relayed Greg's message as a middle man rather than make it sound like the book was his to offer. Fair point.

That's all I'm saying. Just lay it out plain and no one can ever call you out for being anything but. [/quote

+462

Your quotes are as bad as your nudie pics. Completely incomprehensible and useless.

+462

Your quotes are as bad as your nudie pics. Completely incomprehensible and useless.

lol

Both can be fixed.

PM sent!!!

One thing I will say, :blahblah:

zzz

+1

While you were gone, there was a substantial amount of drama that did not result in you getting a strike or a suspension.

(trying this joke again)

One thing I will say, :blahblah:

zzz

+1

While you were gone, there was a substantial amount of drama that did not result in you getting a strike or a suspension.

(trying this joke again)

Oh I'm not gone....just playing from the sidelines. Although the usual suspects did show up to toss John under the bus, only to eat themselves a nice plate of crow.

That always brings a :D to my face.

One thing I will say, is that consignors don't normally volunteer when something is on consignment unless they really have to. There is some prestige and some control in representing the item as your own.

For example, I buy books from dealers that have consignments often and as a buyer you have no idea what is owned by the house and what is on consignment unless you actually ask, or push comes to shove and you want a better deal than the house can offer and then they tell you that they have to ask the consignor.

And so I can understand in the heat of the moment how interjecting a third party into the mix (like Greg) might make the deal look more complicated and less appealing to a potential buyer.

But I agree that when push comes to shove, meaning it's time to let the buyer know that the book is no longer owned by yourself, then being transparent is the best way to do it. That way no wires can get crossed and nobody gets hurt or offended.

Artwork is where I've seen the consignment model most used.

It very common, but it must work differently than comics. It's not hidden in artwork. In fact, hiding that a piece is on consignment is likely to get you a scarlet letter.

Almost every dealer and rep I know would never pass off a piece as their own if it's not.

There are a couple of guys, going back 10-15 years, that attempted to pass off artwork they didn't own as their own for the purposes of sale. It wouldn't have been a big deal if they been upfront about it, but they tried to hide it. Ownership shell games will get you drummed out of a hobby, where people are throwing large dollars around, pretty quick.

They aren't in the artwork world anymore. lol

It's not a shell game. It's entirely irrelevant (unless someone asks) as you are dealing with the person in front of you.

But the art world is also VERY different than nearly anything else I can think of. Ultra exclusive, ultra knowledgeable, ultra thin market.

It's very different when you're selling a one off SA cover grail (of which there is one) than when you are selling a NM #98 CGC 9.8 (of which there is 100,000).

Art is a world to itself.