• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

To all,

John reached out to me and asked me to address this thread. I purchased the BA #12 (News Stand edition), along with many other books from John's thread. I have purchased many times from John over the years but as I do not frequent the boards quite as often as I used to, John gave me a call with a listing of his newest arrivals. Shortly after we agreed on the deal, John called me back to say he might have a buyer who would pay a significant premium and would I be interested in splitting any profit above and beyond what I'd just paid. I said sure, I will take a listen but if I don't hear back I will assume you did not cement a deal. As I never heard back, I mailed a check and the books are on the way to me.

Best to all,

Greg

good

Well, then there's that.

My sincere apologies to Spectre.

I wish I would have been told that there was another potential buyer. l also wish that I hadn't been involved in this to begin with. So much for trying to help out a friend. It seemed shifty at the time when I was told the book was sold despite it being communicated at the same time to the person I was buying the book for that it was still available.

This is clearly an egg on my face moment. :boo: Feel free to pile on. :sorry:

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

I was "buying" the book for Junkdrawer. I've wanted a Harbinger #1 9.8 for awhile. He had JUST stated to me "Bat 12 is the only book in the thread I don't consider absolute junk."

He reduced the price of the BA12 by $300. I just figured I'd ASK if he would throw in a Harbinger #1 for $375 fee free as he considered them absolute junk. If he said no, no harm, no foul and I'd just :takeit: the BA12 for Chris.

That's when the BA12 was "sold". I didn't have a chance to accept it. Draw the conclusions that you will. I think the guy is all over the place and is so full of mess, he should have Roto-Rooter on speed dial.

Okay....so has anybody thought that perhaps somebody buys the BA #12 from John via a phone and text conversation amongst other books. John finds out that JD is really looking for a BA #12, and then asks what JD might wanna pay, so John can text said buyer and ask if they'd like to make a quick dollar, without any effort?

So by John actually trying to do a solid for JunkDrawer, he's vilified as a DBag. Hardly seems fair, but sometimes that's how the forum rolls.

Jim

Then it would have probably been better for John to have said that to Chris outright instead of implying that his buyer backed out of the deal and that John still owned the book....

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

You can see how being less than forthcoming and distorting events might lead people to make their own conclusions.

The "sold, not sold, sold, available again" thing is going to make people unsure as to which version of events (then or now) is accurate.

Can we get back to the Wilson Phillips discussion ?

I saw Carnie Wilson on Chopped earlier this year. She seemed legitimately crazy to me. ON a related note, Lou Diamond Phillips seemed like a cool dude to hang out with.

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

I was "buying" the book for Junkdrawer. I've wanted a Harbinger #1 9.8 for awhile. He had JUST stated to me "Bat 12 is the only book in the thread I don't consider absolute junk."

He reduced the price of the BA12 by $300. I just figured I'd ASK if he would throw in a Harbinger #1 for $375 fee free as he considered them absolute junk. If he said no, no harm, no foul and I'd just :takeit: the BA12 for Chris.

That's when the BA12 was "sold". I didn't have a chance to accept it. Draw the conclusions that you will. I think the guy is all over the place and is so full of mess, he should have Roto-Rooter on speed dial.

Okay....so has anybody thought that perhaps somebody buys the BA #12 from John via a phone and text conversation amongst other books. John finds out that JD is really looking for a BA #12, and then asks what JD might wanna pay, so John can text said buyer and ask if they'd like to make a quick dollar, without any effort?

So by John actually trying to do a solid for JunkDrawer, he's vilified as a DBag. Hardly seems fair, but sometimes that's how the forum rolls.

Jim

Then it would have probably been better for John to have said that to Chris outright instead of implying that his buyer backed out of the deal and that John still owned the book....

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

You can see how being less than forthcoming and distorting events might lead people to make their own conclusions.

The "sold, not sold, sold, available again" thing is going to make people unsure as to which version of events (then or now) is accurate.

And I get that Chris, but sometimes a private deal is just that. Hence some people taking books via PM, they just like to remain anonymous and all John was trying to do was respect that. Now that Greg has "outted" himself, we can all talk about it freely. I just think John (SOT/Spectre or whatever he is today) should have been given the benefit of the doubt, as we all know he is in this for the long haul, and would have done anything to make it right. John is one of the good guys here, when it comes to buying and selling books.

Jim

I think Junkdrawer and Swick have to finish a serving of crow first.

:(:blush:

I agree. Pile it on.

You recognized that you were wrong, admitted it publicly, and apologized to the offended party. Do you know how pleasant the world would be if everybody was adult enough to do that?

I agree. Pile it on.

You recognized that you were wrong, admitted it publicly, and apologized to the offended party. Do you know how pleasant the world would be if everybody was adult enough to do that?

WTTB :hi:

I agree. Pile it on.

Really? Beyond putting the apology part in large text, this is pretty much a non apology:

Well, then there's that.

I wish I would have been told that there was another potential buyer. l also wish that I hadn't been involved in this to begin with. So much for trying to help out a friend. It seemed shifty at the time when I was told the book was sold despite it being communicated at the same time to the person I was buying the book for that it was still available.

I agree. Pile it on.

Really? Beyond putting the apology part in large text, this is pretty much a non apology:

Well, then there's that.

I had no idea it was a non apology. I guess I misread the parts where he apologized. Twice.

I don't get it. Book offered at $1900 which interested buyer says he thinks was a fair price. Interested buyer offers $1500. Book sold to somebody else. Why lowball like that if you felt it was a fair price to begin with?

The other part about trying to resell it does seem shady though...

1. Book didn't sell to anyone else. Seller pulled book because he underpriced it and got a ton of PMs saying such.

Ive-Made-A-Huge-Mistake-Meme-ORIGIN.gif

assumed the worst, I was wrong. Sorry SPECTRE_nWo