• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Here is a fun topic for today.

How does a seller benefit by a selling a CGC book here on the CGC boards with what I call the less eBay/PP fee net price?

I am not singling anyone out as I used to think along those lines.

I understand the logic for a buyer using that as a buying tactic, but I am floored when a potential buyer doesn't understand me selling you a book here with that logic is only win for you the buyer and I gain nothing from that.

Bascially the buyer saves all the money and the seller would be left with basically the same net result. Where is the win win for both parties involved? (shrug)

He is what I have done as a buyer off the boards. I had a guy that did in fact want to sell a book via eBay for his safety to be protected so I said fine. We agree on the amount and spit the fees 50/50 so we both made out. IMO that is what is correct thing to do.

What do you guys think or do when a buyer uses that buying tactic?

Again not meant to start an argument just a discussion.

John

Bingo ^^

I've never had a sales thread here.

I always assumed sellers weren't giving away 100% of the fees they were saving. Buyers are also giving up some of the protection that ebay offers.

Plus it's an actual sale as opposed to a sale that or may not happen if the book is listed on eBay. That's gotta count for something, no?

From the perspective of a buyer, why would I buy it from a seller here at full price rather than eBay? If you buy something on eBay, you get eBay bucks back and you get eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Sellers pay nothing here as far as listing fees or auction fees. Unless you're selling a rare book I can't find, I'd expect the price here to reflect at least some of that savings of a fee free selling forum.

How does a seller benefit by a selling a CGC book here on the CGC boards with what I call the less eBay/PP fee net price?

I understand the logic for a buyer using that as a buying tactic, but I am floored when a potential buyer doesn't understand me selling you a book here with that logic is only win for you the buyer and I gain nothing from that.

Bascially the buyer saves all the money and the seller would be left with basically the same net result. Where is the win win for both parties involved? (shrug)

He is what I have done as a buyer off the boards. I had a guy that did in fact want to sell a book via eBay for his safety to be protected so I said fine. We agree on the amount and spit the fees 50/50 so we both made out. IMO that is what is correct thing to do.

John

I guess it depends on the buyer.

Knowing a solid buyer here and doing a deal for the same money here that you would net on Ebay seems inherently superior to doing the deal on Ebay.

Given Ebay's buyer protections you won't know until it's too late if it's a "problem" buyer that's going to mess with your business in all the ways Ebay allows (paypal lockage, forced returns or refunds, etc etc). They all seem to have 100% feedback over there, even the total a-holes.

It may give the buyers here more of a "deal" than they would get on Ebay, but there's certainly a value above doing business on Ebay to a seller in knowing it's a done deal when dealing with established buyers here.

I think it's pretty well established, and I'd think you'd agree, that doing business here is better than doing it on Ebay. So, as a seller, if I net the same cash here as there I am way ahead.

From the perspective of a buyer, why would I buy it from a seller here at full price rather than eBay? If you buy something on eBay, you get eBay bucks back and you get eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Sellers pay nothing here as far as listing fees or auction fees. Unless you're selling a rare book I can't find, I'd expect the price here to reflect at least some of that savings of a fee free selling forum.

No one said full price.

I said share the savings.

I don't pay listing fees on eBay.

I don;t get any seller protection either from you the buyer. So it works both ways. (shrug)

Again though some buyers automatically assume that if the book doesn't sell here it must be going to eBay next where that is just wrong.

I sold on eBay for a long time. I'll sell books here routinely for less than I could on eBay...and I don't mind at all. it's called the aggravation factor. I get paid with less aggravation. I had/have really good selling ratings (knock on wood) and I'm doing that, because any fruitcake could ruin them at any time and I deal with that thought every time I list there.

It was different when you saw names and could communicate directly with buyers freely, without all the stealth secret stuff, way back then I felt like I knew the people there (on eBay) , too...but not really any more.

I'm still a power seller, but only because I made a big effort this Spring. Going into Fall I probably won't list there at all because of their new return policy they are pushing for the holiday season. Last I looked it was something like 90 days.

That's fine if you are selling a sweater someone wants to give their aunt, but not fine with a collectible whose value can go up and down.

Edited by skypinkblu

John

I guess it depends on the buyer.

Knowing a solid buyer here and doing a deal for the same money here that you would net on Ebay seems inherently superior to doing the deal on Ebay.

Given Ebay's buyer protections you won't know until it's too late if it's a "problem" buyer that's going to mess with your business in all the ways Ebay allows (paypal lockage, forced returns or refunds, etc etc). They all seem to have 100% feedback over there, even the total a-holes.

It may give the buyers here more of a "deal" than they would get on Ebay, but there's certainly a value above doing business on Ebay to a seller in knowing it's a done deal when dealing with established buyers here.

I think it's pretty well established, and I'd think you'd agree, that doing business here is better than doing it on Ebay. So, as a seller, if I net the same cash here as there I am way ahead.

For sure up until last week this place was much easier than eBay lol

However in my opinion if someone would usually have to spend lets say $2000 on a book they wanted via eBay or some other comic website I don't see there point of view coming at me with what I originally said using that 13% model that I should sell it to them at $1740 because I would only get that via a sale on ebay.

I just think a more of win win for both parties makes sense in eyes is a number around $1850-1900. Why would I sell a book here at $1740 where I know I can get that without thinking and listing it on eBay and rolling the dice to see if I get more? (shrug)

Just check the last GPA price on an X-men 108 CGC 9.8. I had it listed in the boards at like $499.99 or something like that. It sold for $1110 at auction......just saying.

Especially for hot books like NM 98, ASM 300, Hulk 181...why discount just so the buyer save 100%. I pride myself on being on both sides of the business transaction so I just think my way of doing business is advantageous to both parties involved.

I agree

there are also dealers that have their own sites/stores/conventions that necessarily don't need to give the "10 percent off" as they may get the same or more money at a convention/store

bingo (thumbs u

I generally try to leverage ebay to my advantage when in a store...as in "Hey I'm in your store buying mess, why don't you sell me this book for 10% off and then I'll go spend some money on your new release wall? Or if you want to charge me ebay prices, I'll just hit the BIN on my phone and show it to you."

Great question. I can see the buyers thought that the seller will get minus 13% if the sell it on E-Bay so why should I get the savings. I see it the other way in that the buyer would normally have to pay full price if they went to buy it on ebay or other outlets. So I'd agree it makes most sense to split the perceived benefit of selling it no fees.

Is that the fee on ebay USA?

I always would prefer to sell my books here for all the reasons stated - eBay fees saved, crazies avoided, knowing who you're dealing with - but I sometimes feel that it's a bit cheeky to keep coming back to drink from the same well all the time.

I try to save books I can afford to offer at a reasonable price to sell here - the super-hot keys I make some bread on I usually shop them around a little to try optimize my take.

I mean there's just so much stuff you can post here and expect people to buy, am I right! (shrug)

John

You don't seem to be a fan of ebay.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7701134&gonew=1#UNREAD

My other question now with eBay if we are forced to take a return and be billed how much is eBay billing us? (shrug)

If I ship a CGC book to Canada for lets say $25 bucks how much is eBay going to charge me to ship if back if the buyer wants to return it?

Between:

eBay final value fees

PP fees

FVF on shipping

Return Fee

Should we all just cancel our selling accounts now before Xmas? :facepalm:

I have never seen a company take the people that make eBay all their money and treat us like nothing.

I expect more comic book auction sites will be benefiting from these eBay changes.

Edited by wombat

John

You don't seem to be a fan of ebay.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7701134&gonew=1#UNREAD

My other question now with eBay if we are forced to take a return and be billed how much is eBay billing us? (shrug)

If I ship a CGC book to Canada for lets say $25 bucks how much is eBay going to charge me to ship if back if the buyer wants to return it?

Between:

eBay final value fees

PP fees

FVF on shipping

Return Fee

Should we all just cancel our selling accounts now before Xmas? :facepalm:

I have never seen a company take the people that make eBay all their money and treat us like nothing.

I expect more comic book auction sites will be benefiting from these eBay changes.

Yuppers.

I was okay with it till this new policy which opens up the box more for fraud from buyers.

I always would prefer to sell my books here for all the reasons stated - eBay fees saved, crazies avoided, knowing who you're dealing with - but I sometimes feel that it's a bit cheeky to keep coming back to drink from the same well all the time.

I try to save books I can afford to offer at a reasonable price to sell here - the super-hot keys I make some bread on I usually shop them around a little to try optimize my take.

I mean there's just so much stuff you can post here and expect people to buy, am I right! (shrug)

I try to sell here first for that reason when I get a new batch of CGC books in. eBay is becoming my last resort.

Other auction websites are becoming more profitable to sell on than eBay for hot moderns books because of less fees.

I sell a lot on the boards so I must be doing something right.

I agree

there are also dealers that have their own sites/stores/conventions that necessarily don't need to give the "10 percent off" as they may get the same or more money at a convention/store

Convention and store options for selling have significantly higher overhead than selling here however.

It really depends on the book. Hot stuff sells itself. If someone wants some random junk then it's probably not advisable to shake the bushes while forsaking what's in your hand over 10%.

Great question. I can see the buyers thought that the seller will get minus 13% if the sell it on E-Bay so why should I get the savings. I see it the other way in that the buyer would normally have to pay full price if they went to buy it on ebay or other outlets. So I'd agree it makes most sense to split the perceived benefit of selling it no fees.

Is that the fee on ebay USA?

I'm not a power seller since it takes me forever to ship books but I have a store so it's 9% to ebay and 2.9% to PayPal. If you don't have a store its 10% to ebay and 2.9% to PayPal.