• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The people that I won't buy from or sell to are on ignore. Just to remind me.

I've done that. It's become more important with the increasing instances of guys who mess up and then change their names several times.

I do it too. Eliminates the need to keep a list off boards. Of course, I have other people on ignore for other reasons. I refuse to do business with those people as well. If I don't want to interact with you, why would I want to buy from you or sell to you?

And yes, that means I sometimes miss a comic or two but it's all good because I don't subscribe to Cool Books

I'm not a fan of lists. I recognize that all of us have a basic right to want to avoid people we dislike, but in some sense it is a luxury feature of a message board and imo it is not a positive feature.

Concretely speaking it is inconsistent to run a sales forum where in every other respect buyers and sellers are held to strict standards of public obligation and yet in that which is most basic to real time commerce, the service of the public without discrimination, we have an ignore function to filter the clientele by personal whim.

Why would you sell to someone who has already established a reputation of not paying on time or being a pain to deal with? There are a number of people who have committed PL worthy actions that are not on the PL. I'm not sending those people my money or sending them my books. Not worth the hassle. That's why people have personal do not deal with lists.

I've done that. It's become more important with the increasing instances of guys who mess up and then change their names several times.

I do it too. Eliminates the need to keep a list off boards. Of course, I have other people on ignore for other reasons. I refuse to do business with those people as well. If I don't want to interact with you, why would I want to buy from you or sell to you?

And yes, that means I sometimes miss a comic or two but it's all good because I don't subscribe to Cool Books

I'm not a fan of lists. I recognize that all of us have a basic right to want to avoid people we dislike, but in some sense it is a luxury feature of a message board and imo it is not a positive feature.

Concretely speaking it is inconsistent to run a sales forum where in every other respect buyers and sellers are held to strict standards of public obligation and yet in that which is most basic to real time commerce, the service of the public without discrimination, we have an ignore function to filter the clientele by personal whim.

Why would you sell to someone who has already established a reputation of not paying on time or being a pain to deal with? There are a number of people who have committed PL worthy actions that are not on the PL. I'm not sending those people my money or sending them my books. Not worth the hassle. That's why people have personal do not deal with lists.

:applause:

Hey, I'm looking for some advice here.

In October, I started what I intended to be my largest sale ever. Had a few dozen items listed, and about $200 in sales when my mother passed away quite unexpectedly. Soon after something else came up, and I just was not in the mood to continue the sale or ship many of the items already sold. To be clear- each and every item I invoiced out and got paid for was shipped. One item was invoiced but never paid for so it didn't ship and about a dozen items were not invoiced, not paid for and not shipped.

I fully recognize the fact I screwed up and will be reaching out to the people who ordered books but didn't get an invoice. They will have the choice of taking the books at a steep discount or forgetting about it but still get a future discount or some other way of making it up to them.

So my idea for this upcoming sale would be something radical.

To insure the books go out in a timely manner, I'm thinking about making this sale a pay after delivery sale. You pick the books you want, I ship them and when they arrive, you pay me via paypal. Obviously I am not going to do this for a person whose first post in in the sales thread, so what do you think a qualifier should be? I'm thinking along the lines of they must be a member for around 90 days, with 200 posts, or multiple good kudos. I'm sure there can be some exceptions made for long time lurkers.

This will be mainly $2 or less books, TPBs and HCs and such. Not books worth hundreds of dollars.

Thoughts? Insults? Questions?

Seems like more potential hassle/trouble with very little (zero?) upside for you.

I'm sure there are plenty of people you would do this for. There are quite a few boardies I would do it for as well, but I wouldn't offer it up in a sales thread.

:applause:

When someone responds to someone else and emboldens a part of the message that is what the specific point they are responding to.

:gossip:

The broader point is combining actual ne'er do wells with people you 'just don't like' for whatever reason and then creating a list

Edited by bababooey

In October, I started what I intended to be my largest sale ever. Had a few dozen items listed, and about $200 in sales when my mother passed away quite unexpectedly. Soon after something else came up, and I just was not in the mood to continue the sale or ship many of the items already sold. To be clear- each and every item I invoiced out and got paid for was shipped. One item was invoiced but never paid for so it didn't ship and about a dozen items were not invoiced, not paid for and not shipped.

I fully recognize the fact I screwed up and will be reaching out to the people who ordered books but didn't get an invoice. They will have the choice of taking the books at a steep discount or forgetting about it but still get a future discount or some other way of making it up to them.

To insure the books go out in a timely manner, I'm thinking about making this sale a pay after delivery sale. You pick the books you want, I ship them and when they arrive, you pay me via paypal. Obviously I am not going to do this for a person whose first post in in the sales thread, so what do you think a qualifier should be? I'm thinking along the lines of they must be a member for around 90 days, with 200 posts, or multiple good kudos. I'm sure there can be some exceptions made for long time lurkers.

This will be mainly $2 or less books, TPBs and HCs and such. Not books worth hundreds of dollars.

I'd say make things right with the people who you've forgotten, and move onto your new sales thread in good conscience. I think everyone knows you're an active member of the boards, not just a guy who's here to flip books, so I'm personally not concerned about your character. Truth be told, had you not explained the situation, I would've never heard about it.

Sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

Regarding advice, the others have stated it clearly - don't stress about what happened and contact those people not yet invoiced. But put me down with the group who sees no positive benefit from the pay after shipping scenario and no real need to do it.

It's your mom. If people, the prospective buyers, don't understand that I wouldn't want to do business with them anyway.

Don't see an issue here as long as the agreed upon deals are still available to the buyer.

I consider it no different than a boycott, and unlike most boycotts I am not trying to convince others to ignore those that I ignore.

I consider it no different than a boycott, and unlike most boycotts I am not trying to convince others to ignore those that I ignore.

From the standpoint of the buyer the boycott analogy is fair enough, certainly the consumer is under no obligation to give their business to companies or salespeople that offend them, for whatever reason.

I just don't see the analogy holding with the same force on the selling side. It would be a strange company, or business model, that included selective boycotting of the consumer base.

I think the message board gives the illusion that these are all private sales, private in the intimate sense that it is not a retail transaction as real business transpires in the public realm. So the idea is that I'm no more obliged to sell to John Q Public than I am obliged to be friends with John Q Public or to invite him over for dinner. This may indeed be the case, I'm just not yet convinced.

I do accept Sean's point that the law does allow businesses to discriminate among the public in common sense terms, but I would think those definitions would assume real life interactions and not the virtual world of words we inhabit. A person who disrupts business, is obnoxiously rude, confrontational or threatening to the customers is not the same as exchanging words on a message board. 2c

From the standpoint of the buyer the boycott analogy is fair enough, certainly the consumer is under no obligation to give their business to companies or salespeople that offend them, for whatever reason.

I just don't see the analogy holding with the same force on the selling side. It would be a strange company, or business model, that included selective boycotting of the consumer base.

I think the message board gives the illusion that these are all private sales, private in the intimate sense that it is not a retail transaction as real business transpires in the public realm. So the idea is that I'm no more obliged to sell to John Q Public than I am obliged to be friends with John Q Public or to invite him over for dinner. This may indeed be the case, I'm just not yet convinced.

I do accept Sean's point that the law does allow businesses to discriminate among the public in common sense terms, but I would think those definitions would assume real life interactions and not the virtual world of words we inhabit. A person who disrupts business, is obnoxiously rude, confrontational or threatening to the customers is not the same as exchanging words on a message board. 2c

There are several people here I would not do business with in any context, and I'm sure they feel the same about me. I avoid them either here or in real life, and they (usually) do the same. I would not sell to them, regardless of the price. Certain people have circumvented this by having the transaction handled through a third party. Had I known who the end customer was at the time, I would have denied the sale to both parties.

It's no different from "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

If you called me an a-hole in the town square, why would I want you in my store? And if you're an emotional, oversensitive, irrational person online, what makes me think you won't be a potential problem in a transaction?

There are several people here I would not do business with in any context, and I'm sure they feel the same about me. I avoid them either here or in real life, and they (usually) do the same. I would not sell to them, regardless of the price. Certain people have circumvented this by having the transaction handled through a third party. Had I known who the end customer was at the time, I would have denied the sale to both parties.

If you called me an a-hole in the town square, why would I want you in my store? And if you're an emotional, oversensitive, irrational person online, what makes me think you won't be a potential problem in a transaction?

This!

This!

I do appreciate these points. However, whether a person is a potential problem in a transaction should be a function of an actual record of transactions. The PL and the HoS stand as documented records of problem transactions. If a person has no such record, I may indeed think many things of them for other reasons, but I cannot be said to have any rational basis for a prejudice as to business.

I am less sure that words on message boards reflect the realities of people. It is not that I think that people posting on message boards are not showing at least some part of who they really are, but it is usually only a very thin and finally incomplete picture. People say and pretend to do things on message boards they would never do or even consider saying in public. When you try to read the person through only their words, you are looking through a distorting lens. I would be careful about making big judgments on that basis.

I am less sure that words on message boards reflect the realities of people. It is not that I think that people posting on message boards are not showing at least some part of who they really are, but it is usually only a very thin and finally incomplete picture. People say and pretend to do things on message boards they would never do or even consider saying in public. When you try to read the person through only their words, you are looking through a distorting lens. I would be careful about making big judgments on that basis.

I don't disagree.

However, board personalities are often all we have to go on. Most of us will never meet very many other boardies and of those we may meet, we might still not get a real picture of who they are.

If I am a turd on the boards then the perception is that I'm likely a turd all the time. That can be unfair but if I don't want to be perceived as a turd, then maybe I shouldn't act like one. (shrug)

I don't disagree.

However, board personalities are often all we have to go on. Most of us will never meet very many other boardies and of those we may meet, we might still not get a real picture of who they are.

If I am a turd on the boards then the perception is that I'm likely a turd all the time. That can be unfair but if I don't want to be perceived as a turd, then maybe I shouldn't act like one. (shrug)

..... so true...... in my case it's usually the other way around, things I would quickly say around the people in my regular life I would never post on the boards..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't disagree.

Point taken.

When this topic does come up I feel the need to try to make everyone more self-conscious (in a good sense) about why they have a list, and who is on it, or on ignore, and why. I am not suggesting that that is my business, which it most certainly is not, but only to encourage private self-reflection.

Is what that given person X has done or said so heinous that they deserve to be banished from my universe and to be treated as a nonperson thereafter, not fit for business or any other civilized interaction?

Really? Is it that serious? Looked at from another angle, it could be seen as a certain measure of success to keep such lists to a minimum, adding to them out of absolute necessity only. 2c

I don't disagree.

Point taken.

When this topic does come up I feel the need to try to make everyone more self-conscious (in a good sense) about why they have a list, and who is on it, or on ignore, and why. I am not suggesting that that is my business, which it most certainly is not, but only to encourage private self-reflection.

Is what that given person X has done or said so heinous that they deserve to be banished from my universe and to be treated as a nonperson thereafter, not fit for business or any other civilized interaction?

Really? Is it that serious? Looked at from another angle, it could be seen as a certain measure of success to keep such lists to a minimum, adding to them out of absolute necessity only. 2c

While it is certainly true that people say (and do) things on message boards that they never would in real life (recent interaction in this very thread being perfect examples), words do have consequences.

If I was a businessman, you would be absolutely correct...and I would be a terrible one, because I would not be willing to do business with people who didn't know how to behave civilly.

Then there is those of us who do know how to act civilly and just for some strange reason, reason flies away as the keys start moving and words just flutter about.

hm

Much like stuttering in real life, I suppose.

I don't disagree.

Point taken.

Believe me, I'm not happy about having to maintain a list. I long for the days when I didn't have an issue with anyone here.

And I do re-evaluate my ignore list from time to time. I've taken people off before and will again. I always try to be reflective about it and consider that it may be my issue more than the other persons issue.

I don't disagree.

Point taken.

Believe me, I'm not happy about having to maintain a list. I long for the days when I didn't have an issue with anyone here.

And I do re-evaluate my ignore list from time to time. I've taken people off before and will again. I always try to be reflective about it and consider that it may be my issue more than the other persons issue.

Thats nice to see in this day and age