• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I guess maybe I have not been going into many for sale threads unless it really is something I need/want, but good grief there are tons of sellers wanting to pass the 3% on in here now. Guess that is becoming the norm.

I've thought about that and I have a suggestion. If you want to buy a book from a seller with a 3% fee, just say "sure", but I have a 10% buyer's fee, it's equal to what sellers pay on most of the other sites, maybe even a little less;)

I haven't had time to shop very much, so I haven't seen all that many 3% fees myself, but I'm hoping, they are just new people... :tonofbricks:

I have avoided sales threads that add on 3%.

Why?

Because "Math"

Why do I have to do the math for you?

Since I don’t typically visit this area of the boards I was unaware of this conversation regarding my sales thread comments until I was notified. Oddly the thread was removed but the comments are allowed here … that doesn’t make much sense? I’m not sure why mods would remove a sales thread after a transaction has been made instead of just deleting comments they feel are not appropriate. The thread serves as a record for both buyer and seller and fortunately on the few books I have sold here, buyers have never had an issue and never will. Furthermore … all of the books that I have sold on these boards were purchased from boardies.

While not specifically mentioning Roy’s name in my sales thread, some of the comments were construed as directed at Roy and for those comments I do apologize. Roy is an upstanding member of this community, a well respected seller of high grade books and an asset the comic collecting hobby.

I appreciate the apology.

Just to be clear, it was more of a misunderstanding between Randy and I than anything else.

I posted the words 'team derail' in the title of my thread as I closed the thread, but it was really meant in humor and not to antagonize anyone. It's a throwback term that used to get used a lot on these boards when pressing threads were heated.

Anyhow, glad we cleared that up.

Let's Go Raptors!

I didn't see the stuff that went poof, but apparently there was an untruth said about me in one post. I am *NOT* "living out of my car" or homeless. Someone probably misremembered my post where I said that if I don't get some cash soon I *will* (future tense) be living out of my car. That's still the situation but as of right now I'm still in the house.

I didn't see the stuff that went poof, but apparently there was an untruth said about me in one post. I am *NOT* "living out of my car" or homeless. Someone probably misremembered my post where I said that if I don't get some cash soon I *will* (future tense) be living out of my car. That's still the situation but as of right now I'm still in the house.

Sorry to hear you've fallen on rough times. Hang in there buddy there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

You don't owe anybody an explanation.

Throwing up a book for 1K and asking for another $30 makes the math look petty.

Not this again. :facepalm:

Would it be better to just list the book initially for $1,030 and not mention anything about PayPal? Would that make everyone feel better?

Or, list the book for $1,030 initially and say "2.9% discount if you pay via check" (again with no mention of PayPal). Would that make everyone feel better?

:facepalm:

Edited by edowens71

Would it be better to just list the book initially for $1,030 and not mention anything about PayPal? Would that make everyone feel better?

Or, list the book for $1,030 initially and say "2.9% discount if you pay via check" (again with no mention of PayPal). Would that make everyone feel better?

I always ask for a complete total. Shipping, everything, before I commit. I have no problem saying "No thanks, I'll pass"

I always ask for a complete total. Shipping, everything, before I commit. I have no problem saying "No thanks, I'll pass"

I was commenting on the math. As long as a seller sticks to the forum rules it's none of my business what they want for their books. Other than I'll take it or move on. It just looks silly when you actually do the math. lol

Actually, no one would have an issue if the asking price were $1,030. In the past, people have come out and said as much. However, say that it's $1,000 + 3% and everyone has a conniption.

Either way, you're paying the same price. If I, as a seller, build the fee into the selling price then no one cares. Ignorance is bliss. As long as the buyer doesn't know he's getting jobbed by the fees then it's okay.

On the 3% issue? I won't buy in a sales thread that requires me to pay extra for using a certain form of payment. The same way that I would actively avoid gas stations that used to charge extra or have a different price for credit card payments (that's still a thing some places).

I don't mind if it's built into the price, since I'm not paying in any other way than paypal to anyone (unless I'm buying in-person). I realize that credit card processing fees are built into the cost of everything from a candy bar to the 65" flat screen at Best Buy these days. I just don't like it being rubbed in my face that "I'm going to charge you more because you're paying with this for of payment instead of this other form of payment"

You are correct and I stand corrected.

I made an insensitive remark regarding you Chip and for that,

I am sorry. I apologize to you directly.

Actually, no one would have an issue if the asking price were $1,030. In the past, people have come out and said as much. However, say that it's $1,000 + 3% and everyone has a conniption.

Either way, you're paying the same price. If I, as a seller, build the fee into the selling price then no one cares. Ignorance is bliss. As long as the buyer doesn't know he's getting jobbed by the fees then it's okay.

On the 3% issue? I won't buy in a sales thread that requires me to pay extra for using a certain form of payment. The same way that I would actively avoid gas stations that used to charge extra or have a different price for credit card payments (that's still a thing some places).

I don't mind if it's built into the price, since I'm not paying in any other way than paypal to anyone (unless I'm buying in-person). I realize that credit card processing fees are built into the cost of everything from a candy bar to the 65" flat screen at Best Buy these days. I just don't like it being rubbed in my face that "I'm going to charge you more because you're paying with this for of payment instead of this other form of payment"

A LOT of buying and selling is psychological. I'm with you guys.

You are correct and I stand corrected.

I made an insensitive remark regarding you Chip and for that,

I am sorry. I apologize to you directly.

(thumbs u

The problem with building it into the price is GPA, and I don't mean this as a snub at George. GPA does not record the final sale price, only the price it ended at (so no accounting for tax, shipping etc.) This can really effect the final price paid For instance lets say I want to sell the AF 15 in my sig line. I throw it up on the boards and say "For Sale, $3,500 shipped US, worldwide you pay shipping & Duty cost, must be sent Fedex because of value and need for traceability". I've built the paypal and shipping costs into my price. But if you check GPA you'll see that I am asking $150 over last sale. So a buyer may chalk me up and pass because I'm trying to raise GPA, or think I am overpricing etc, when all I am doing is factoring in shipping and paypal so that I receive the actual value of the book. Now if instead I said "For Sale, $3,350 plus 3% paypal fee plus shipping fee, must be sent insured and overnight because of value. Many buyers are upset because they see the sausage being made. But is the price really that bad? In the end, aren't you just paying the same amount?

Emphasis on the bolded text

Yeah but given the two scenarios below, you're not paying more either way

Asking price = $1,030

Asking price = $1,000 + 3%

I get it that people don't like it rubbed in their face but at the end of the day, you're paying the exact same amount. Being accepting of paying the extra if it's built in as opposed to the 3% add on has always seemed a little irrational to me. It's like saying that I don't mind paying more as long as it's invisible. Huh? Again, ignorance is bliss I guess. I don't know about you guys but I don't like paying more regardless of whether I know it or not. (shrug)

Simple answer is, you will never please everyone so price however you believe works for you. I avoid the plus 3% plus shipping threads because it tells me there's no room for negotiation (not that there has to be room). Just my preference.

I also avoid the selective GPA/ebay sales data.

And, for sure I avoid the paypal plus 4% (unless its a cross-border boardie).

I also love pepper, but hate cinnamon.

The problem with building it into the price is GPA, and I don't mean this as a snub at George. GPA does not record the final sale price, only the price it ended at (so no accounting for tax, shipping etc.) This can really effect the final price paid For instance lets say I want to sell the AF 15 in my sig line. I throw it up on the boards and say "For Sale, $3,500 shipped US, worldwide you pay shipping & Duty cost, must be sent Fedex because of value and need for traceability". I've built the paypal and shipping costs into my price. But if you check GPA you'll see that I am asking $150 over last sale. So a buyer may chalk me up and pass because I'm trying to raise GPA, or think I am overpricing etc, when all I am doing is factoring in shipping and paypal so that I receive the actual value of the book. Now if instead I said "For Sale, $3,350 plus 3% paypal fee plus shipping fee, must be sent insured and overnight because of value. Many buyers are upset because they see the sausage being made. But is the price really that bad? In the end, aren't you just paying the same amount?

Nor does it include Paypal or auction house fees. Whomever sold that comic for $3350 probably only got ~$2900 for it. The problem for me is mostly when I see someone asking full GPA (or over GPA) plus PayPal fees plus shipping.

Time was the free cost of listing here was considered by most.

Simple answer is, you will never please everyone so price however you believe works for you. I avoid the plus 3% plus shipping threads because it tells me there's no room for negotiation (not that there has to be room). Just my preference.

I also avoid the selective GPA/ebay sales data.

And, for sure I avoid the paypal plus 4% (unless its a cross-border boardie).

I also love pepper, but hate cinnamon.

That's too bad because cinnabons are :cloud9: