• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

First of all, as a seller I never really know how long any of my sales threads go, it depends on how "chatty" people are (or how much they tease me;)  and I admire the people who are organized enough to keep a long thread going. I might not read it after a while, but I still admire them.

As a volunteer Mod, I'm not volunteering to count sales thread pages, you have to draw the line somewhere :sumo:

On 8/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, Park said:

Almost every long thread I have seen has recaps listed periodically and/or lists where the recap is located. Hell, many of them lists links to the pages which is quite a bit of work and greatly appreciated by myself.

Asking for a limit on the number of pages in a sales thread is, to me, about two steps beyond ridiculous.

I know I am not the only one that think this as well.

Thankfully, you will be able to see which threads have surpassed 10 pages. :foryou:

Upon reflection, both you and Jeffro are right - it should be up to the buyer to decide which threads to spend their money in, and upon the seller to decide in which fashion they choose to sell their items. :tink:

On 8/3/2021 at 12:15 AM, Park said:
On 8/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, Beige said:

both you and Jeffro are right 

This is almost always correct and almost always dangerous in any situation.

I think it's one of the signs of the apocalypse

On 8/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, grebal said:

Just change settings to 10,000 posts per page.  Viola.  ; )

One of the things I miss from the old board software was the ability to change how many posts were displayed on a page. Just one more reason this board isn't as good but hey, we all have the like button for our superficial gratification and dopamine fix :eyeroll:

Dumb question.

Can I sell baseball cards in the Mixed Section?  Does it matter that CGC now grades cards (do they even grade baseball cards?)?  What if I mix the sale with (mostly) comic cards and or other tangentially comic stuff?

I do understand that nobody wants threads and threads full of crappy baseball cards in the sales forums.

what if i do like 50 posts of comic cards, and slip in like 5 posts of baseball cards?

Edited by revat

On 8/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, revat said:

Dumb question.

Can I sell baseball cards in the Mixed Section?  Does it matter that CGC now grades cards (do they even grade baseball cards?)?  What if I mix the sale with (mostly) comic cards and or other tangentially comic stuff?

I do understand that nobody wants threads and threads full of crappy baseball cards in the sales forums.

what if i do like 50 posts of comic cards, and slip in like 5 posts of baseball cards?

A few years ago in MIXED & MISC I bought from a thread that was selling dvds, Simpsons, Futurama etc.  No problemo. Don't know if times have changed.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, revat said:

Dumb question.

We've always been really lenient about what is in mixed as long as you can make a case that it's comic book related. Games and Legos can be comic book related. 

I'd ask Brian about putting them in the VCC, it's a whole different venue..

As for mixed, I can ASK in the mod thread, but be prepared for a "no".  Right now, I don't know the answer. So if someone complained, you'd have to be prepared to having your thread pulled. 

Also hiding them with comics around them...if you can't sell them in the thread, that's not going to help, lol.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:53 AM, skypinkblu said:

We've always been really lenient about what is in mixed as long as you can make a case that it's comic book related. Games and Legos can be comic book related. 

I'd ask Brian about putting them in the VCC, it's a whole different venue..

As for mixed, I can ASK in the mod thread, but be prepared for a "no".  Right now, I don't know the answer. So if someone complained, you'd have to be prepared to having your thread pulled. 

Also hiding them with comics around them...if you can't sell them in the thread, that's not going to help, lol.

I wouldn't really have even considered it, other than with CGC now grading sports cards (or a sister branch of CGC), it seems like if CGC is willing to grade it, it should be sellable on their forums.  BUt I don't know where the line is (if there is one), so I thought I'd ask.

As stated, I don't hope these boards become full of people trying to move sports cards, I just happened to pick up a little stack with a purchase of a bunch of comics, and I have no obvious place to move them.  

On 8/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, revat said:

I wouldn't really have even considered it, other than with CGC now grading sports cards (or a sister branch of CGC), it seems like if CGC is willing to grade it, it should be sellable on their forums. 

I felt the same about concert posters and CGC allowed me to post them here, so unless they make another venue to sell the cards I believe they should allow it.

Edited by GACollectibles

From a recent G/S/B thread:

Hopefully we'll get some clarity on this new rule or new take on old rule.  Is the rule simply "can't start a thread w only 1 book and say 'be back later w more books'?"

In past plenty of threads post only a few books, and then say "be back Wednesday w next round."

How many books are needed to constitute a legit "round?"  Three books?  Any rule on how long can the gap be between rounds?  Does that mean a one book round is verboten, or will threads only be 'disappeared' if we start a thread with a 1-book round?

Do we get a break if seller has emergency problem with, say, a dinosaur in back yard.  "Postponed rest of this round, my dog just got eaten, be back later, sorry."  See that kind of thing a lot in threads too.

Here's my take.  Posting 1 book now and saying will post the rest 8 hours from now is an announcement.  There is an announcement thread for that.  If someone has only 1 book to sell, that is fine.  If someone posts a handful of books and says will post the rest later, that is fine as well.  We can tell when someone is using a FS thread as an announcement.  It's not fair to the others that have legitimate FS threads, and they keep getting knocked down by people posting in an "announcement thread"  As Arch says in the guidelines thread,

"Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement"

On 8/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, grebal said:

From a recent G/S/B thread:

Hopefully we'll get some clarity on this new rule or new take on old rule.  Is the rule simply "can't start a thread w only 1 book and say 'be back later w more books'?"

In past plenty of threads post only a few books, and then say "be back Wednesday w next round."

How many books are needed to constitute a legit "round?"  Three books?  Any rule on how long can the gap be between rounds?  Does that mean a one book round is verboten, or will threads only be 'disappeared' if we start a thread with a 1-book round?

Do we get a break if seller has emergency problem with, say, a dinosaur in back yard.  "Postponed rest of this round, my dog just got eaten, be back later, sorry."  See that kind of thing a lot in threads too.

That is awful, I don't remember seeing a thread where a dog got eaten. It happens a LOT? May I see a link or links  please?

Personally, I would excuse anyone who had a dog or cat or horse eaten by a dinosaur...

Unless they were hard hearted enough to return in a few hours to continue a comic book sales thread.:rulez:

P.S....this is nothing new, we've had the rule for a long time, just more people seem to be ignoring it lately.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, comicdonna said:

As Arch says in the guidelines thread, "Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement"

Not to be argumentative, but here is Arch's complete statement (yes, context is important):

"For clarity sake, I have updated rule #14 as follows: "ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff."

Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement" that isn't an announcement, and then bump it continuously while hiding the post. That will be considered post bumping and hogging the front page - because that is what the effect is, no matter what you intended."

Rule #14 of the Usage Guidelines deals with thread bumping.  Respectfully, Rule #14 really does not address the topic currently being discussed in this thread.  The Usage Guidelines are regularly clarified and/or expanded.  Maybe it's time to add a Rule #18 to address the apparently problematic issue of announcements that are disguised as sale threads?  hm

I absolutely support the position that folks who launch a sale thread should be prepared to list the goods.  That's why I have my items graded, priced, described, and scanned before launching a sale thread.  At my age, I have no use for threads that progress at a rate of 4 books/hour!  :sumo:

On 8/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, zzutak said:

Not to be argumentative, but here is Arch's complete statement (yes, context is important):

"For clarity sake, I have updated rule #14 as follows: "ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff."

Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement" that isn't an announcement, and then bump it continuously while hiding the post. That will be considered post bumping and hogging the front page - because that is what the effect is, no matter what you intended."

Rule #14 of the Usage Guidelines deals with thread bumping.  Respectfully, Rule #14 really does not address the topic currently being discussed in this thread.  The Usage Guidelines are regularly clarified and/or expanded.  Maybe it's time to add a Rule #18 to address the apparently problematic issue of announcements that are disguised as sale threads?  hm

I absolutely support the position that folks who launch a sale thread should be prepared to list the goods.  That's why I have my items graded, priced, described, and scanned before launching a sale thread.  At my age, I have no use for threads that progress at a rate of 4 books/hour!  :sumo:

We are going to work on clarifying the rules regarding announcements and the FS section.