• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

@Grebal

I apologize, when I answered before I had no idea you had a thread that you were asking about.   I've been away from the computer most of the day and had only read your response in this thread.

As for the changes, over the past few years more and more people have taken up the "announcement" pattern of listing something to generate excitement in a thread prior to actually listing their thread and thus, we've gotten more and more complaints from the people who just worked out their sales threads in advance and started posting at least a decent percentage of their books when they started the thread.

The "excitement" part creates bumping, whether you bump your own thread or get friends to bump it, it's still bumping.  That stuff is fine in a real ongoing thread, just not when the thread is only started just to announce the real sale you will having later.  The announcements, excitement, sales hype stuff should stay in the announcement thread.

When people were told not to run sales that way, a few started posting one book, or two books or 3 books etc.

I really don't want to see a number that makes the sale "legal" I'd like people to just use common sense. If you are posting 1 book and that is it, of course that is no problem, just post your one book. If you are posting 50 books and want to do 25 a night, sure. If you post 20 of the 50 one night, 10 the next and 20 the next, most probably, no one will care.

However, if you are going to post 50 books and declare you are tired after 3 books and will post the rest tomorrow...that might be iffy (unless there really is a "dinosaur"). 

The Admins are writing a clarification, it might take a while.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:46 AM, DR.X said:

I get tired easily these days. I need a pill and a warm fire to keep me mobile. Sometimes neighbors come over and put me in the corner in a rocking chair with a blanket over me, and a drool cup.

That surprises. I always imagined you sleeping on your hog. 

On 8/17/2021 at 4:46 PM, DR.X said:

I get tired easily these days. I need a pill and a warm fire to keep me mobile. Sometimes neighbors come over and put me in the corner in a rocking chair with a blanket over me, and a drool cup.

I collect pre-war drool cups so let me know what you (or your neighbors) have.

Pretty sure that "GA Sale starting at 6pm EST" is what got the thread yanked. This is easily one of the simplest places to sell with minimal rules. There is an announement thread and Misc Forum Alert threads. They get plenty of eyes :wink:

On a side note: PLEASE REMOVE THE BAGS FROM SLABS BEFORE TAKING A PIC! LITERALLY TAKES ONE SECOND TO REMOVE :idea:

On 8/18/2021 at 7:56 AM, Ryan. said:

I've bumped quiet threads days, or even weeks, later and made sales. That isn't uncommon at all. It all depends on who is looking at the time. 

You had a sales thread?

On 8/18/2021 at 7:56 AM, Ryan. said:

I've bumped quiet threads days, or even weeks, later and made sales. That isn't uncommon at all. It all depends on who is looking at the time. 

Same here .... the buying pool here isn't as vast as many think. Not everybody is glued to their laptop 24-7. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Is there some sort of rule against bumping sales threads constantly?  You know, when there hasn’t been any interest?

14. Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you. ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but I'm kinda working on a transaction with a guy named Ron Thomas from Missouri.  Has anyone dealt with him before that can vouch for him?  

Also, if this is not the appropriate place to ask this, please clue me in on where that place might be.  The probation list/HOS thread isn't for discussion and the Kudos thread doesn't seem like the right place either.

Many thanks!

Edited by Robert Doggett