• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

How do you politely point out to someone in a thread that they've just paid way so too much for a book that it makes your brain hurt, but in a respectful and mod-friendly ambiguous way?

"Great snag, with all this speculation you owe it to yourself not to get caught holding the bag." :gossip:

"Damn, missed another copy, that’s what I get for doing my homework." :pullhair:

"Great grab, its just so much cheaper than rehab." ;)

"Great deal, congrats to both laugher and laughee." :applause:

"Congrats, I would have been all over that one if I hadn't already bought one for 1/10 the price!" (thumbs u

"Nice pick, I tried to shoot myself once too." :foryou:

How do you politely point out to someone in a thread that they've just paid way so too much for a book that it makes your brain hurt, but in a respectful and mod-friendly ambiguous way?

I don't know if there's a good way or not. I have one impulsive, unresearched, buy from five years back whose price I won't even include in my spreadsheet records. I am lying even to myself. :pullhair:

Quickie question: I won an auction on Ebay. Paid immediately with Paypal. However the payment is still being "processed" on the Ebay site. When I check Paypal, it says that the recipient is "unregistered" and the payment is "unclaimed". I've attempted to contact the seller twice with no response yet.

I don't want to get some unpaid claim opened against me and I do actually want the auction item I won.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Say nothing. With collectibles, it is a personal choice how far someone will go financially to own the focus of their desires.

Look what people pay for bottle caps, celebrity used gum and political buttons. I don't get it, but it is their focus.

Quickie question: I won an auction on Ebay. Paid immediately with Paypal. However the payment is still being "processed" on the Ebay site. When I check Paypal, it says that the recipient is "unregistered" and the payment is "unclaimed". I've attempted to contact the seller twice with no response yet.

I don't want to get some unpaid claim opened against me and I do actually want the auction item I won.

Thanks.

That's a new one. I didn't think PP would accept payment to someone who isn't registered. (shrug)

Thanks.

Are you sure you got the email adress right? I've seen something like this happen when there was a typo in the address.

Or, if you paid through ebay, maybe there was a mistake around the email address on the seller's side.

Thanks.

Are you sure you got the email adress right? I've seen something like this happen when there was a typo in the address.

Or, if you paid through ebay, maybe there was a mistake around the email address on the seller's side.

If he won it through Ebay and paid with PayPal, it would be the address that is on file with Ebay which may be entered incorrectly.

I thought Ebay validated PayPal email addresses before a seller could start posting.

Thanks.

If he won it through Ebay and paid with PayPal, it would be the address that is on file with Ebay which may be entered incorrectly.

I thought Ebay validated PayPal email addresses before a seller could start posting.

Yeah, it seems unlikely, having gone through ebay. But I have seen this type of thing happen with an invalid email address.

Thanks.

I actually had this happen to me recently. It wasn't at all comic related but I was actually offered a Second Chance Offer with a note saying the previous buyer bid then never got back in touch. I sent the money through PayPal and it just sat there and sat there. Eventually I cancelled the transaction after multiple attempts to get in touch with the seller and haven't heard anything from them since. Was it a newer seller on Ebay you bought from?

When you setup an auction listing on eBay there is a section to enter the paypal address you want to use. It doesn't automatically link your PP to your eBay. The seller might have mistyped the address when creating the listing and when you went to pay for it, it sent the payment to the incorrect address.

Thanks for all the responses. The seller has 50 as feedback and is 100% positive. He's been around for awhile.

I did pay directly through Ebay's link to Paypal, so it did whatever it did automatically (ascribe seller's email).

I did attempt to reach the seller 2x, with no response yet.

It appears that it may be an invalid email address but without being able to contact the seller I'm at an impasse.

I can 'cancel' the bid but I honestly want the item.