• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Seems to be a relatively slow night, so thought I would have a minor rantrant .

TO: Sellers in the forum marketplace quoting years old OSPG values in your threads (e.g., "2009 Overstreet is $XX").

Please...if you're selling books and you choose to provide OSPG as your reference point, at least get the current edition - I just picked up my 43rd edition on Amazon for about $20 - took 2 days to get it - not hard. If the thinking is that by using old guide prices you're doing buyers a favor, not a given - guide prices go down, too.

TO: Sellers in the forum marketplace quoting years old OSPG values in your threads (e.g., "2009 Overstreet is $XX").

Please...if you're selling books and you choose to provide OSPG as your reference point, at least get the current edition - I just picked up my 43rd edition on Amazon for about $20 - took 2 days to get it - not hard. If the thinking is that by using old guide prices you're doing buyers a favor, not a given - guide prices go down, too.

I'm one of those people who might buy an Overstreet every five years, so if a seller mentions the year then there is probably no intent to mislead anyone.

If there has been a large value drop then I think the community should treat it the same as they do someone who picks & chooses GPA data to support an inflated ask price. Any sales/guide data provided by the seller but appears to be misleading or inaccurate is fair game for "data sharing" IMHO (shrug) - I don't consider that threadcrapping.

In truth, I can't think of the last book I saw drop in value since the 70's X-Men some years ago. The only thing that has gone down consistently are the proportions of grades below 9.2.

Mini-rant: I find it odd that year after year, advisors say that low and mid grade books have to be discounted in order to sell, but the Harley Yees and Mile High Comics of the world continue to sell their entire inventory above guide, if not at the old percentages...

I'm one of those people who might buy an Overstreet every five years, so if a seller mentions the year then there is probably no intent to mislead anyone.

If there has been a large value drop then I think the community should treat it the same as they do someone who picks & chooses GPA data to support an inflated ask price. Any sales/guide data provided by the seller but appears to be misleading or inaccurate is fair game for "data sharing" IMHO (shrug) - I don't consider that threadcrapping.

I've seen a fair amount of misleading sales data used in sales threads, but I've never posted anything in the threads. I have PMed sellers a couple of times; one responded with changes, one didn't. I'm not convinced that the mods won't consider such a posting threadcrapping if the seller complains. Misleading sales data are in the eyes of the beholder and I doubt the mods will want to get into the thickets of deciding what's misleading and what isn't.

In truth, I can't think of the last book I saw drop in value since the 70's X-Men some years ago. The only thing that has gone down consistently are the proportions of grades below 9.2.

Mini-rant: I find it odd that year after year, advisors say that low and mid grade books have to be discounted in order to sell, but the Harley Yees and Mile High Comics of the world continue to sell their entire inventory above guide, if not at the old percentages...

I'm not sure how long ago it was, but didn't he give mid-grade SA Marvels a pretty good whack at one point?

My favorite part is when they mark everything up to 2X guide or higher then offer a discount of 50% to try to make you think you're getting a deal. :screwy:

I'm not sure how long ago it was, but didn't he give mid-grade SA Marvels a pretty good whack at one point?

I meant in terms of an individual book, but yup, percentages slid.

Ever since the 80's, G was 10% of NM, F was 40%, and VF was 70%. Then the dealers started saying, "discount or it won't move." Like a self-fulfilling prophecy, Overstreet lowered the percentages. Problem was, people still expected a deal off list price, which pushed down the value of low to mid-grade books even further. F fell to 33% about 10-15 years ago, and quickly slid to 25%. When G/VG/F became 5/10/15%, that was more than a whack. If I'd been counting how much I'd spent compared to what things were listed for, I'd have gone out the window like Black Tuesday.

I've seen a fair amount of misleading sales data used in sales threads, but I've never posted anything in the threads. I have PMed sellers a couple of times; one responded with changes, one didn't. I'm not convinced that the mods won't consider such a posting threadcrapping if the seller complains. Misleading sales data are in the eyes of the beholder and I doubt the mods will want to get into the thickets of deciding what's misleading and what isn't.

If you know someone has got a fact wrong (and won't correct it after a PM), I think you can kindly correct it in thread Like "I think you may have made an error with the OSPG price, mine says the price is XXXXX"

But if they seem to be intentionally misleading, I think you can ask polite questions in the thread to get other potential buyers to think about things from a more 'skeptical' mindset

"Can you provide larger scans?"

"What guarantees if any are there against restoration?"

"I love this book, I just bought a great copy off of ebay/clink/etc" This will automatically remind people to look at completed sales to get an idea.

nice avatar of the gary puppet btw..I think I need to be more precise in my rules..thanks guys

I state that payment needs to be made within three days in my rules. Seems to work just fine. Only had one buyer flake out so far in 4 months.

Also, while I'm usually cool with taking time payments, they make me a lot less likely to do a big discount. I assume I'm not alone there?

low balls, I usually just say no thanks.

Ive never asked for a discount and time payments nor would I be likely to give one. I assumed that was an either/or situation.

Also, while I'm usually cool with taking time payments, they make me a lot less likely to do a big discount. I assume I'm not alone there?

I've never done time payments, but I always thought that if I was going to ask for them, it would be at the sellers asking price (or the actual market price if theres a wide difference)

When you get lowballed, do you counter, or just reply with a polite, "No thanks?"

I do a "no thanks." They either go away, or they put together another offer. And I don't have to waste any time on folks that want uber-deals. There is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I have to laugh when I have stuff at $10-20 less than slabbing costs, and folks want more discount. :)