• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I would very much clarify this sales term so there is no room for a misunderstanding. Otherwise, the buyer may not realize what is involved, and that they really should stay committed to the final sale.

My 2c

If the buyer backs out, and if it was clear the deposit was meant to guarantee the final purchase or they lose the deposit, then I would think the seller will keep this as a penalty if the deal falls through.

Like when you are buying a home, and the seller wants a decent size deposit tied to an offer to ensure you are serious enough that they will stop accepting other offers.

Do you spell that part out, or is it assumed?

I've copied something Mark Zaid had in his threads. I say upfront to people so they don't assume anything... 20% deposit, non refundable. I did refund when someone lost their job, I only had one other incident and that was a HOS member, who paid me $13 instead of $35 as a deposit and then disappeared.

how do you politely point out to someone with a FS thread that they can't grade worth a spoon? or do you just ignore the thread and hope others can figure it out for themselves?

It's usually pretty evident when you have VF+ with monster spider creases.

how do you politely point out to someone with a FS thread that they can't grade worth a spoon? or do you just ignore the thread and hope others can figure it out for themselves?

:whistle:

Ignoring seems like the safer bet. Rumor has it that if you post to the thread and the seller complains to the mods you could be hit with a strikeroo.

If I understand (and I'm almost sure I do) which book you're talking about, it's pretty obvious that the top edge alone would knock if off VF territory.

Then again, the "f" and "g" keys are next to each other. The seller might've meant VG+ hm

(Not likely, based on most of the other grades, but still... :gossip: )

I don't know who we're talking about either, but poor grading is common in this industry. There are long-time sellers on eBay who make me curse when I open a thread only to see their name.

In terms of the boards, ignore if you can, negotiate by PM if you must. I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "I'm offering X because the grade looks Y to me"