• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Friends and board members, I come before you to confess my sins. There's a poster to whom I wish to commit barbaric atrocities, although we've never met. He's been asking for GA books in a thread I've been following, and he continues to hound the seller, even though everyone's ignoring him, hoping he'll go away. I don't know if he's been "touched" or if he's just naturally obnoxious, but I have a strong desire to change the size of his shirt collar.

Is it reasonable to PM the poster, requesting that he refrain from blurting out his questions in the thread, or am I being too sensitive?

:popcorn:

-slym

Friends and board members, I come before you to confess my sins. There's a poster to whom I wish to commit barbaric atrocities, although we've never met. He's been asking for GA books in a thread I've been following, and he continues to hound the seller, even though everyone's ignoring him, hoping he'll go away. I don't know if he's been "touched" or if he's just naturally obnoxious, but I have a strong desire to change the size of his shirt collar.

Is it reasonable to PM the poster, requesting that he refrain from blurting out his questions in the thread, or am I being too sensitive?

Generally I agree, its been a bit much, and maybe a PM might help, but the OP could have shut him down with a post or a PM, and in fairness the OP did post the following pics, which are not really designed to encourage calm, rational behaviour among collectors. 2c

GAShot1_zps0b694f20.jpg

GAshot2_zps2965a535.jpg

Generally I agree, its been a bit much, and maybe a PM might help, but the OP could have shut him down with a post or a PM, and in fairness the OP did post the following pics...

Link?

Generally I agree, its been a bit much, and maybe a PM might help, but the OP could have shut him down with a post or a PM, and in fairness the OP did post the following pics, which are not really designed to encourage calm, rational behaviour among collectors. 2c

Are we talking about ironman4472's posts?

No evil, just... I'd like to say a lack of understanding on how to interact with others and open a meaningful dialogue, but we are in a comic forum! Social skills are not a prerequisite for collecting comics! :D That was more like tugging on mom's skirt until she pays attention to you, and he wouldn't give up.

I just expect better around here.

No evil, just... I'd like to say a lack of understanding on how to interact with others and open a meaningful dialogue, but we are in a comic forum! Social skills are not a prerequisite for collecting comics! :D That was more like tugging on mom's skirt until she pays attention to you, and he wouldn't give up.

Expect to be disappointed.

Yeah, he was kind of annoying. In his (partial!) defense that is a disorganized sales thread. Lack of recaps, lack of marking some books as sold, and at least hinting that he was going to list books that, in the end, I guess he isn't going to.

That said, though, he was offering a lot of great deals.

Yeah, he was kind of annoying. In his (partial!) defense that is a disorganized sales thread. Lack of recaps, lack of marking some books as sold, and at least hinting that he was going to list books that, in the end, I guess he isn't going to.

Yep. There were a multitude of annoying sins in that thread, both by the OP and many of us....aside from the issues caused by the tantalizing pictures and extremely annoying book requests, we repeatedly pressed the OP to commit to starting times, so he did (questionable decision). Then, when things didn't start on time...an onslaught of popcorn munching and tangential discussions right in the middle of the man's sales threads ensued (while waiting for the postings to begin); then, long waits between books led to more thread discussions about more nonsense, etc...we all turned what should have been about a 20 page thread into just shy of 100 pages...downright crazy.

Yep. There were a multitude of annoying sins in that thread, both by the OP and many of us....aside from the issues caused by the tantalizing pictures and extremely annoying book requests, we repeatedly pressed the OP to commit to starting times, so he did (questionable decision). Then, when things didn't start on time...an onslaught of popcorn munching and tangential discussions right in the middle of the man's sales threads ensued (while waiting for the postings to begin); then, long waits between books led to more thread discussions about more nonsense, etc...we all turned what should have been about a 20 page thread into just shy of 100 pages...downright crazy.

It was also a fun read, with great books and bargains in the mix

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this or not, but someone will tell me I'm sure if it isn't.

I looked over a list of all the slabs I have today and I don't know if the thrill of the chase is just gone or if it's just too much clutter, or I realize just how much money I have tied up in my books but I went through all of them and realize I have probably 70 slabs ranging from an Archie 32 up to a Saga 11 that I no longer need.

I know there are auction houses like Heritage, and comiclink, I've used Clink to sell original art and a couple of slabs, but it seems unrealistic to send that many books through the post.

So the question is, what is your recommendation for trying to sell probably two full CGC boxes of slabs all at once?

Let me follow up to this by saying I have a complete list of all my slabs that I own, how much I paid for them, their grades and so on. When I looked over the list I pulled my favorite 10 universal, 10 sketches, 10 signatures, and a couple of others and decided the rest could go. That's how I came up with the 70. The 10 of each are by no means a focus but are at least a way of pearing down until I do.

I've listed some of them individually in the past, no where near all of them of course. But, the range is so varied I just didn't think any one person would want all 70+ books. You might be right though.

I'm going through almost the exact same thing right now. Unless you want to take a complete bath on your equity in the books the best bet is to sell them individually rather than as a lot. It's a pain in the hindquarters but it's the only way to hope to recoup the majority of your investment. Be prepared, of course, to take hits on many of the books regardless. It's unavoidable unless all of your slabs are AF 15s.