• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think the all time low is funny. It's just Bosco's agenda. He's still butthurt about his strike callout. I didn't like my strike either. And his crew rolling in is cool, too. It's not cool when my crew rolls in, but those guys are jagoffs. It is not friendly to call the PIF stupid, but I think it is, so i can either be a hypocrite or be quiet. I was quiet about it for months until it was brought to the doorstep of the Probation Thread. Then I gave my opinion. In a not very friendly manner.

Folks that don't think the PIF is stupid have made some very good points, and it seems like the consensus is to add PIF offender to the PL with a notation that it is PIF.

I'm not going to get dragged into anything unless it gets funny or entertaining. I hope I have enough self control to avoid a strike. Anyone that wants to take shots at me for being a , have at it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'll take shots when I'm good and ready. I don't need your permission. :sumo:

I tend to agree that it would be helpful to people in the marketplace if PIF wrongdoers were identified in the PL - but the PIF people have an easy fix & a stickied thread in CG. (shrug)

The solution:

Everytime someone posts a new offer they bring the PIF - PL guys' names forward.

Example:

Hey junque-lovers - here's a CGC'd 8.5 copy of Amazing Spider-man 439 with ow/w pages, 100 treasury bags & a Spider-man night light.

First :takeit: in the thread gets it - foreigners pay $15.00 extra for shipping.

PL - BathedinFlames is not eligible for this offer

I would disagree with that as well. For sales transactions? Sure. For something that is supposed to be a community thing? Constant shaming seems to be missing the point by a wide margin.

If the intent of PIF was for people to post their unwanted stuff with no expectation of getting something in return, I'd agree with you on the community aspect.

If they self-police, let offenders go & have volunteers offer damaged parties 'make-up junque' like the Christmas threads, that's fine too.

The PIF thread isn't like that. There are some who claim & donate but the entry point for everyone, other than the OP, has been to claim some item that they want. I've read the thread a few times & saw no evidence of rose petals or unicorn poop laying around.

I don't care if it's on the PL when they get a serial offender. I don't want some mod stickying another thread at the top of CG to push current threads down the screen...it'll look like the friggin' sig forum.

rantrant

I think the all time low is funny. It's just Bosco's agenda. He's still butthurt about his strike callout. I didn't like my strike either. And his crew rolling in is cool, too. It's not cool when my crew rolls in, but those guys are jagoffs. It is not friendly to call the PIF stupid, but I think it is, so i can either be a hypocrite or be quiet. I was quiet about it for months until it was brought to the doorstep of the Probation Thread. Then I gave my opinion. In a not very friendly manner.

Folks that don't think the PIF is stupid have made some very good points, and it seems like the consensus is to add PIF offender to the PL with a notation that it is PIF.

I'm not going to get dragged into anything unless it gets funny or entertaining. I hope I have enough self control to avoid a strike. Anyone that wants to take shots at me for being a , have at it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Nope. Your perception is way off once again. A strike was issued, and it is done. So no butthurt on my part as it is what it is.

Calling anyone that participates in what was meant to be a good-natured trade a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme is just plain mean-spirited. Trying to make it sound like there is some agenda involved on my part is you and your crew trying to spin some tales that are just not there. But have at it.

:roflmao:

So when you do it then it's ok? This is EXACTLY what you did to me when I tried to send you an entire short box for free a few weeks ago. Hilarious!! Kettle meet pot. :ohnoez:

I thought the point of the PL was to list the people who have done wrong and not made it right. Please explain what it really is for.

There is a transaction/contract...isn't there? link

I think in general, I might agree with this, its a bit too open ended. What if after I claim something, there doesn't seem to be anything to compel me to post anything in the future for a claim. And that might be something to get mad, but maybe not a legally enforceable contract.

BUT once he does offer something up. AND someone claims it. And the person who claims it not only posts a new item but it is then also claimed then sent and reciveved by the next party, i'm pretty sure you've got MORE than a contract.

"I offer this Item X to whomever, provided they also offer up an Item Y to be claimed by someone else"

I'm pretty sure that the claiming of the item, posting of the new item offer AND (if there was any doubt) subsequent sending out of that item means that the 'victim' in this case completed his side of the contract.

The perpetrator basically broke 2 contracts in this case, and people may not think the PL would want to know? And any question of value should not come into play, as the principle is the same. You shouldn't cheat someone for $2 or $200 or $2000

The PL was created for sales transactions. We can go back and forth on the technicality of contract regarding the PIF, but that misses the point of what the PIF is supposed to be about. If there has to be an argument about what is and isn't a contract regarding the PIF, then the PIF has gone off the rails. I am not a fan of the PIF thread but the point wasn't for anyone to gain anything other than good feelings.

I understand that you got hosed out of some money for the shipping and (I can't remember their name) should own it and make it right but once you take community feel good issues, flawed as they may be, and take them to the PL, you have now taken something that should be done because people want to and turned it into something ugly.

Take this and turn it into something good.

My 2c

I tend to agree that it would be helpful to people in the marketplace if PIF wrongdoers were identified in the PL - but the PIF people have an easy fix & a stickied thread in CG. (shrug)

The solution:

Everytime someone posts a new offer they bring the PIF - PL guys' names forward.

Example:

Hey junque-lovers - here's a CGC'd 8.5 copy of Amazing Spider-man 439 with ow/w pages, 100 treasury bags & a Spider-man night light.

First :takeit: in the thread gets it - foreigners pay $15.00 extra for shipping.

PL - BathedinFlames is not eligible for this offer

I would disagree with that as well. For sales transactions? Sure. For something that is supposed to be a community thing? Constant shaming seems to be missing the point by a wide margin.

If the intent of PIF was for people to post their unwanted stuff with no expectation of getting something in return, I'd agree with you on the community aspect.

If they self-police, let offenders go & have volunteers offer damaged parties 'make-up junque' like the Christmas threads, that's fine too.

The PIF thread isn't like that. There are some who claim & donate but the entry point for everyone, other than the OP, has been to claim some item that they want. I've read the thread a few times & saw no evidence of rose petals or unicorn poop laying around.

I don't care if it's on the PL when they get a serial offender. I don't want some mod stickying another thread at the top of CG to push current threads down the screen...it'll look like the friggin' sig forum.

rantrant

I have only glanced in there a few times. I saw some good stuff and some junk. The intent of the thread from the OP was to do something nice. I am not speaking for him but it is pretty clear. If it has evolved into something else, then I have little to no empathy.

What someone said about your mom was probably up there (or down there, to be more accurate) with Shark-Muscle telling people he was coming to screw their mom and other fine stances on debate. And the person that made this statement to you is definitely a weak-minded individual.

But calling people a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme just because they participate in the PIF when the intent of the thread is meant to be much better than some deliver is definitely down there in the bowl with all the other feces-topics you mentioned.

No Nick. It really isn't. Let's not hyperbolize.

Some day ill be as virtuous as you two, God willing. Thank you for being such a good example.

Gentle denizens of the CGC Boards, please forgive me for maligning junk swapping. I realize that on a Board where there have been multi-thousand dollar scams, stealing wives, and threats of physical violence, I have set a new low by saying bad things about the PIF thread. Wash away my iniquities, and help me see that meekly perusing threads, rubbing fannies, clapping hands and keeping on the lookout for folks who might want to buy my junk are the proper method of interacting with my fellow man on these Boards.

Finally, please grant me a whole ton of Windex for the phoneys in their glass houses. Thank you.

Troll boy.

You forgot to mention charities that weren't charities, people celebrating that board members died, and boardies threatening unseemly acts to other boardies moms....etc etc.

This is lower than all of those. Sure. Why not?

Yeah! What he said.

:sumo:

Oh, wait. If someone was calling one of your buddies a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces for participating in what generally is a trading thread, your stance would be different. So I guess it is all in good fun to do this when calling a larger audience a bunch of .

Continue on with your logical stance. Makes perfect sense.

I don't think my stance would be different, at all.

I wouldn't call someone having an opinion about a thread "A New Low" for the boards, when I have personally witnessed actual criminal activity on the boards, when I have seen a beloved board member die suddenly and people post the most callous comments about being glad they died.

I think a boardie making detailed comments about having sexual relations with my mom are a lot worse than someone calling a trading thread lame.

So I don't think my stance would be different at all, regardless of who said it.

I don't think I know anyone who could look at all the horrible things that have happened on this board and somehow make Sean's opinion of the PIF thread worse in comparison.

What someone said about your mom was probably up there (or down there, to be more accurate) with Shark-Muscle telling people he was coming to screw their mom and other fine stances on debate. And the person that made this statement to you is definitely a weak-minded individual.

But calling people a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme just because they participate in the PIF when the intent of the thread is meant to be much better than some deliver is definitely down there in the bowl with all the other feces-topics you mentioned.

There's the guy that danced on the grave of a dead boardie, the guy that had a charity that turned out to not be a charity, there was CAPFreak ripping off boardies, the Muscle-Shark thing was surreal in its lowliness, the boardie that actually stole another boardies wife and ran off with her, so many criminal acts, threatened criminal acts, and so many threatened sexual assaults on family members around here, that I can't logically or reasonably compare those actions to someone being called a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces or a donkey.

The hyperbole undermines the cogent point that the comments were really not nice in any way.

It feels like ripping on the guy that sold the tankful of gas to the getaway car driver as being an accessory to a bank robbery.

Alleybat threatening to shoot comicdonna in a PM.

Yeah, there's "board lows" and then there's general grumpiness, irritation, and not nice play. Where does complaining about birthday threads rank on the "board low" meter? I'm sure it's cataclysmic.

I thought the point of the PL was to list the people who have done wrong and not made it right. Please explain what it really is for (not meant to sound like a jerk. Just wondering if my understanding is wrong).

There is a transaction/contract...isn't there? link

I think in general, I might agree with this, its a bit too open ended. What if after I claim something, there doesn't seem to be anything to compel me to post anything in the future for a claim. And that might be something to get mad, but maybe not a legally enforceable contract.

BUT once he does offer something up. AND someone claims it. And the person who claims it not only posts a new item but it is then also claimed then sent and reciveved by the next party, i'm pretty sure you've got MORE than a contract.

"I offer this Item X to whomever, provided they also offer up an Item Y to be claimed by someone else"

I'm pretty sure that the claiming of the item, posting of the new item offer AND (if there was any doubt) subsequent sending out of that item means that the 'victim' in this case completed his side of the contract.

The perpetrator basically broke 2 contracts in this case, and people may not think the PL would want to know? And any question of value should not come into play, as the principle is the same. You shouldn't cheat someone for $2 or $200 or $2000

This example doesn't take into account that the rules of the pay if forward are (simplified):

• there is only 1 offer at a time
  • if you take the offer, you MUST post an offer within 24 hours

So it's not like there is a list of things to choose from and then later in life you can post your offering.

I'm not a lawyer manicnerd, unlike 3/4ths the other boardies that like to argue on these here boards... but I did find this with a little Bing search engine help.

TRANSACTION

According to 15 USCS § 7006 (13), [Title 15. Commerce and Trade; Chapter 96. Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce; Electronic Records and Signatures in Commerce] the term transaction means “an action or set of actions relating to the conduct of business, consumer, or commercial affairs between two or more persons, including any of the following types of conduct--

(A) the sale, lease, exchange, licensing, or other disposition of (i) personal property, including goods and intangibles, (ii) services, and (iii) any combination thereof; and

(B) the sale, lease, exchange, or other disposition of any interest in real property, or any combination thereof.”

... and also this.

EXCHANGE

1) v. to trade or barter property, goods and/or services for other property, goods and/or services, unlike a sale or employment in which money is paid for the property, goods or services. 2) n. the act of making a trade or barter. An exchange of "equivalent" property, including real estate, can defer capital gains taxation until the acquired property is sold. 3) n. short for "Starker" exchange of investment real property to defer capital gains tax.

Chris & Sean...wouldn't any interaction via PIF be considered an "exchange" and deemed a transaction?

Park please don't try to answer my question since...

1) I can't see what your saying...

2) you really have no idea what you're talking about :grin:

Park please don't try to answer my question since...

1) I can't see what your saying...

2) you really have no idea what you're talking about :grin:

That's ok genius. Everyone else can.

Gotten over the issue with Green yet from what, two years ago? I don't expect that you will ever, ever, ever let it go with me either. And that makes me laugh. Please continue talking from both sides of your mouth.

TRANSACTION

According to 15 USCS § 7006 (13), [Title 15. Commerce and Trade; Chapter 96. Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce; Electronic Records and Signatures in Commerce] the term transaction means “an action or set of actions relating to the conduct of business, consumer, or commercial affairs between two or more persons, including any of the following types of conduct--

(A) the sale, lease, exchange, licensing, or other disposition of (i) personal property, including goods and intangibles, (ii) services, and (iii) any combination thereof; and

(B) the sale, lease, exchange, or other disposition of any interest in real property, or any combination thereof.”

... and also this.

EXCHANGE

1) v. to trade or barter property, goods and/or services for other property, goods and/or services, unlike a sale or employment in which money is paid for the property, goods or services. 2) n. the act of making a trade or barter. An exchange of "equivalent" property, including real estate, can defer capital gains taxation until the acquired property is sold. 3) n. short for "Starker" exchange of investment real property to defer capital gains tax.

Chris & Sean...wouldn't any interaction via PIF be considered an "exchange" and deemed a transaction?

If this were between just two people it would be, for sure.

I send you my Nova #1 you send me your X-factor 24....boom exchange. It's clear and definite and the parties are known before performance is undertaken and there's an agreement between them.

In this case the addition of a third party muddies the hell out of things.

I offer this Nova #1 up to anybody, You take it. That's a gratuitous gift with the only requirement on your that you offer something else to someone else sometime in the future. Then you offer up your X-factor #24 to someone else, they take it, and repeat the cycle, or break it by not performing.

The "exchange" has to happen between two known entities where they each obtain something from the other with definite terms. The "chain" of giving and the unknowns of what the items may be and who the other parties may be turn this into more of a gift situation and less of a legal transaction.

Frankly, the guy who breaks the train is a jerk and dishonest if he doesn't follow through, but he's breaking a chain of trust that people will follow a set of guidelines for gift giving and not breaking a contract.

I'd like to know if someone does something like this, I just don't know if it fits directly into the existing structure of the PL or needs to be on its own somewhere.

... (taken out for size...please forgive me)...

Frankly, the guy who breaks the train is a jerk and dishonest if he doesn't follow through, but he's breaking a chain of trust that people will follow a set of guidelines for gift giving and not breaking a contract.

I'd like to know if someone does something like this, I just don't know if it fits directly into the existing structure of the PL or needs to be on its own somewhere.

I'm confused why it has to be a contract that is broken to be on the PL. If someone breaks a chain of trust, that person cannot be trusted. Where does this logic not fit with the PL? Once again, is my understanding of the purpose of this list wrong?

TRANSACTION

... and also this.

EXCHANGE

I send you my Nova #1 you send me your X-factor 24....boom exchange. It's clear and definite and the parties are known before performance is undertaken and there's an agreement between them.

I offer this Nova #1 up to anybody, You take it. That's a gratuitous gift with the only requirement on your that you offer something else to someone else sometime in the future. Then you offer up your X-factor #24 to someone else, they take it, and repeat the cycle, or break it by not performing.

The "exchange" has to happen between two known entities where they each obtain something from the other with definite terms. The "chain" of giving and the unknowns of what the items may be and who the other parties may be turn this into more of a gift situation and less of a legal transaction.

hm definitely a page turner we got here.

I'm confused why it has to be a contract that is broken to be on the PL. If someone breaks a chain of trust, that person cannot be trusted. Where does this logic not fit with the PL? Once again, is my understanding of the purpose of this list wrong?

That's not what I am saying, that it's not PL worthy. It's certainly a bad act on his part. I am just not sure where it fits given how much of the PL is structured to handle transactions between two parties with definite terms, etc.

I'm confused why it has to be a contract that is broken to be on the PL. If someone breaks a chain of trust, that person cannot be trusted. Where does this logic not fit with the PL?

I agree with you. The way I see it, it's a list for our community of the people who have not followed through with their obligations to the community. Just my 2 cents, but I actually don't have a problem with adding PIF deadbeats to the probation list. (And for the record, I've never participated in the PIF thread.)

Isn't the PIF nothing more than a string of non binding gifting in a linear fashion using societal expectations as self moderation?

What could possibly go wrong?

TRANSACTION

... and also this.

EXCHANGE

hm

I can see where it looks like a gratuitous gift... but can it be a gift unless it has donative intent?

GIFT

A gift is the voluntary transfer of property or funds to another without receiving anything of value in return and without conditions attached while both the giver and the recipient are still alive. The gift giver (donor) must understand the nature of the act and have a voluntary intent to make a gift, called a donative intent. There must be either physical or symbolic delivery of the gift and actual or imputed acceptance by the donee.

DONATIVE INTENT

Donative intent refers to the conscious desire to make a gift. This is different from giving something for nothing by mistake or under pressure.

According to the NamesJay's initial conditions of the PIF thread...

I discovered this idea on cards forum and thought it might be fun.

Maybe this has been tried before, I don't know... But let's give it a shot!

Here is the deal: I'm going to give away this book to the first person who wants it and posts :takeit: . Free, including shipping. In turn, that person MUST offer a book(s) free to the next taker by posting on this thread, and so on, and so on. While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate.

RULES:

-You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

-You must have at least 50 posts

-If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours

-Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

-Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

-Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return

-Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

-Only one :takeit: every 7 days per member. However, if an item is not claimed within 24 hours, anyone is welcome to take it (no matter when they last claimed book(s). Just don't be greedy!

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

-You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.

-Be honest

-Have fun!

/

Since participants in the PIF thread MUST continue... wouldn't that make it a stipulation that if one participant gives something, then another will receive something... pulling this scenario away from a gift aspect and negating donative intent?

If PIF transactions were gifts, then that would counter the "without receiving anything of value in return".

Plus there would be no donative intent since someone is expecting something in return. Is that correct... ?

I'm confused why it has to be a contract that is broken to be on the PL. If someone breaks a chain of trust, that person cannot be trusted. Where does this logic not fit with the PL?

I agree with you. The way I see it, it's a list for our community of the people who have not followed through with their obligations to the community. Just my 2 cents, but I actually don't have a problem with adding PIF deadbeats to the probation list. (And for the record, I've never participated in the PIF thread.)

+1

I would rather have all the "bad eggs" in one basket. How useful would it be if someone had to look in 2 or more places just to find out whether or not a potential buyer/seller was trustworthy or up to snuff. Keep it all in one place, makes it easier to navigate. Look at what happened to the Kudos thread. Once it became where each person got their own thread, participation dropped because people didn't want to bother creating their own threads, and buyers didn't want the hassle of finding the seller's thread.

Pay It Forward

or as Fingh refers to it: Pass The Trash

doh!

I see we have hit a new low in board history.

:eyeroll:

Give me a break. This place must be a crack house/dog fighting club/ porn theater to you as much as you trot out your self righteousness.

It's called an opinion. Everyone has one. If you don't agree with that opinion, you don't agree but please carry on saving the children.

Parky - how ya doing? :hi:

I figured where two or three buddies showed up, you'd be right behind.

Meanwhile, let's continue this BS fest in the General Discussion thread. Or is that a stretch for rational and reasonable thinking?

Captain Condescension,

How goes your smarminess?

I have an alarm that goes off when the self righteous(you) start trumpeting from their pulpit(your permanent residence) about the masses (the rest of us that don't agree with you) and how wrong they are.

As anyone paying any attention can see, you still can't let go of the rational and reasonable thing. But please continue being oblivious to your hypocrisy. And that of your group of friends.

You want to have a discussion, which was what was happening before you dropped in with "all time low on the boards", then let's have a discussion. If you want to have a battle of wits, I have some spare time but only if you can a) be funny b) keep to the discussion at hand and not your groupthink butthurt from previous discussions and c) be funny.

Wait a minute. I don't want you assuming your statements have anything to do with reality, because they don't.

You are the king on the condescending thrown. How many times have you gone around mentioning old debates and blowups to cause yet another fight? And yet when you try to make it appear as if I try to tell other people how to be, it is usually you trying to tell me how to be (which is say anything - do anything).

Intelligent conversation? You can't even keep your facts straight, let alone keep a decent conversation going short of "pernts" and fights.

At least Branget/C-YA/FDQ is consistent. He jumps in when he sees a group fight, and tries to pile on with the crowd.

Meanwhile, calling the folks that participate in the PIF through a meme just to be safe was pretty crappy. What next? We going to start mocking the Positive thread that Jimmers has been maintaining?