• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Some day ill be as virtuous as you two, God willing. Thank you for being such a good example.

Gentle denizens of the CGC Boards, please forgive me for maligning junk swapping. I realize that on a Board where there have been multi-thousand dollar scams, stealing wives, and threats of physical violence, I have set a new low by saying bad things about the PIF thread. Wash away my iniquities, and help me see that meekly perusing threads, rubbing fannies, clapping hands and keeping on the lookout for folks who might want to buy my junk are the proper method of interacting with my fellow man on these Boards.

Finally, please grant me a whole ton of Windex for the phoneys in their glass houses. Thank you.

Troll boy.

You forgot to mention charities that weren't charities, people celebrating that board members died, and boardies threatening unseemly acts to other boardies moms....etc etc.

This is lower than all of those. Sure. Why not?

Yeah! What he said.

:sumo:

Oh, wait. If someone was calling one of your buddies a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces for participating in what generally is a trading thread, your stance would be different. So I guess it is all in good fun to do this when calling a larger audience a bunch of .

Continue on with your logical stance. Makes perfect sense.

I don't think my stance would be different, at all.

I wouldn't call someone having an opinion about a thread "A New Low" for the boards, when I have personally witnessed actual criminal activity on the boards, when I have seen a beloved board member die suddenly and people post the most callous comments about being glad they died.

I think a boardie making detailed comments about having sexual relations with my mom are a lot worse than someone calling a trading thread lame.

So I don't think my stance would be different at all, regardless of who said it.

I don't think I know anyone who could look at all the horrible things that have happened on this board and somehow make Sean's opinion of the PIF thread worse in comparison.

I think the all time low is funny. It's just Bosco's agenda. He's still butthurt about his strike callout. I didn't like my strike either. And his crew rolling in is cool, too. It's not cool when my crew rolls in, but those guys are jagoffs. It is not friendly to call the PIF stupid, but I think it is, so i can either be a hypocrite or be quiet. I was quiet about it for months until it was brought to the doorstep of the Probation Thread. Then I gave my opinion. In a not very friendly manner.

Folks that don't think the PIF is stupid have made some very good points, and it seems like the consensus is to add PIF offender to the PL with a notation that it is PIF.

I'm not going to get dragged into anything unless it gets funny or entertaining. I hope I have enough self control to avoid a strike. Anyone that wants to take shots at me for being a , have at it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I kinda want to be part of a crew. It sounds so "Goodfellas'.

I think the all time low is funny. It's just Bosco's agenda. He's still butthurt about his strike callout. I didn't like my strike either. And his crew rolling in is cool, too. It's not cool when my crew rolls in, but those guys are jagoffs. It is not friendly to call the PIF stupid, but I think it is, so i can either be a hypocrite or be quiet. I was quiet about it for months until it was brought to the doorstep of the Probation Thread. Then I gave my opinion. In a not very friendly manner.

Folks that don't think the PIF is stupid have made some very good points, and it seems like the consensus is to add PIF offender to the PL with a notation that it is PIF.

I'm not going to get dragged into anything unless it gets funny or entertaining. I hope I have enough self control to avoid a strike. Anyone that wants to take shots at me for being a , have at it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I kinda want to be part of a crew. It sounds so "Goodfellas'.

Didn't you create that graphic a few months back? Just put yourself into the mix somewhere. You've got all the control.

Nope. Your perception is way off once again. A strike was issued, and it is done. So no butthurt on my part as it is what it is.

Calling anyone that participates in what was meant to be a good-natured trade a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme is just plain mean-spirited. Trying to make it sound like there is some agenda involved on my part is you and your crew trying to spin some tales that are just not there. But have at it.

Some day ill be as virtuous as you two, God willing. Thank you for being such a good example.

Gentle denizens of the CGC Boards, please forgive me for maligning junk swapping. I realize that on a Board where there have been multi-thousand dollar scams, stealing wives, and threats of physical violence, I have set a new low by saying bad things about the PIF thread. Wash away my iniquities, and help me see that meekly perusing threads, rubbing fannies, clapping hands and keeping on the lookout for folks who might want to buy my junk are the proper method of interacting with my fellow man on these Boards.

Finally, please grant me a whole ton of Windex for the phoneys in their glass houses. Thank you.

Troll boy.

You forgot to mention charities that weren't charities, people celebrating that board members died, and boardies threatening unseemly acts to other boardies moms....etc etc.

Yeah! What he said.

Oh, wait. If someone was calling one of your buddies a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces for participating in what generally is a trading thread, your stance would be different. So I guess it is all in good fun to do this when calling a larger audience a bunch of .

I wouldn't call someone having an opinion about a thread "A New Low" for the boards, when I have personally witnessed actual criminal activity on the boards, when I have seen a beloved board member die suddenly and people post the most callous comments about being glad they died.

I think a boardie making detailed comments about having sexual relations with my mom are a lot worse than someone calling a trading thread lame.

So I don't think my stance would be different at all, regardless of who said it.

I don't think I know anyone who could look at all the horrible things that have happened on this board and somehow make Sean's opinion of the PIF thread worse in comparison.

What someone said about your mom was probably up there (or down there, to be more accurate) with Shark-Muscle telling people he was coming to screw their mom and other fine stances on debate. And the person that made this statement to you is definitely a weak-minded individual.

But calling people a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme just because they participate in the PIF when the intent of the thread is meant to be much better than some deliver is definitely down there in the bowl with all the other feces-topics you mentioned.

Nope. Your perception is way off once again. A strike was issued, and it is done. So no butthurt on my part as it is what it is.

Calling anyone that participates in what was meant to be a good-natured trade a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme is just plain mean-spirited. Trying to make it sound like there is some agenda involved on my part is you and your crew trying to spin some tales that are just not there. But have at it.

I got you, Short Box Bosco. Since I've already admitted it wasn't friendly, I guess your point about your agenda is what it is.

Troll boy.

Yeah! What he said.

What someone said about your mom was probably up there (or down there, to be more accurate) with Shark-Muscle telling people he was coming to screw their mom and other fine stances on debate. And the person that made this statement to you is definitely a weak-minded individual.

But calling people a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces via a meme just because they participate in the PIF when the intent of the thread is meant to be much better than some deliver is definitely down there in the bowl with all the other feces-topics you mentioned.

34c4o.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I agree that calling the PIF stupid isn't a nice thing to say. I agree that the memes weren't nice. I agree that the donkey was the least possible diplomatic way to get his point across.

I just didn't think it was a new low for the boards. That's all. People are jerks to each other all day every day around here. It's more the norm than a new low. Calling it a new low just struck my "perspective" nerve coming off of the "slab sodomy" incident and the other events I have personally witnessed.

Just commenting on 2 of the things mentioned here.

- I like one book per post, much easier as a seller to edit and a buyer to put his :takeit: sign

- I prefer larger scans instead of clickable thumbnails. As a seller I think it creates more interest. As a buyer it saves me a little time and sometimes the image I go to is after clicking ends up not being very big.

One thing I will mention is the lack of courtesy among some buyers and sellers here when it comes to PMs. As a seller, no matter how lowball the offer is, I will always respond, even if it is a decline of their offer, and I will always be courteous about it. If I give a counter-offer, it would be nice if the person would respond with an accept or decline. I am also very courteous when submitting offers or declining counter-offers. I know some sellers don't like lowball offers, but I never have a problem with them...I guess I am just happy to get some interest :)

Regrettably, there are some sellers here who will just ignore your offer or buyers who will ignore your counter-offer. I was raised very strictly, and one of the things that was always ingrained on me is to always be polite and courteous.

I know it's no big deal in the grand scheme of buying and selling on this forum, but I guess courtesy goes a long way in my book :)

I sent multiple PMs to people in the PIF thread asking how I should handle getting screwed, then made a public statement (in the PIF thread) asking what to do and the consensus was to nominate BathedinFlames for the PL. It wasn't like I just dropped in without any merit. I was shocked to get such a response and then to get treated the way I did was totally uncalled for. Just my 2c ... proceed to make comments about my butthurt now

Edited by manicnerd

Troll boy.

Yeah! What he said.

There's the guy that danced on the grave of a dead boardie, the guy that had a charity that turned out to not be a charity, there was CAPFreak ripping off boardies, the Muscle-Shark thing was surreal in its lowliness, the boardie that actually stole another boardies wife and ran off with her, so many criminal acts, threatened criminal acts, and so many threatened sexual assaults on family members around here, that I can't logically or reasonably compare those actions to someone being called a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces or a donkey.

The hyperbole undermines the cogent point that the comments were really not nice in any way.

It feels like ripping on the guy that sold the tankful of gas to the getaway car driver as being an accessory to a bank robbery.

I sent multiple PMs to people in the PIF thread asking how I should handle getting screwed, then made a public statement (in the PIF thread) asking what to do and the consensus was to nominate BathedinFlames for the PL. It wasn't like I just dropped in without any merit. I was shocked to get such a response and then to get treated the way I did was totally uncalled for. Just my 2c ... proceed to make comments about my butthurt now

Not really. The only one who said anything negative was me. There was a tremendous amount of productive discussion, and the consensus appeared to be that PIF violators should be added to the PL with a notation. It was muddled up by a bad poll with choices that didn't reflect the discussion (or at least didn't reflect where the discussion boiled down to).

Whether anyone wants to admit to it or not, there is a tremendous gray area surrounding the fundamental nature of the PFI and whether there is a cognizable event outside of a typical privity of contract arrangement.

So again, you have me being a dillhole, and a whole bunch of others productively discussing the situation. If I could undo it I would, not because my opinion has changed, but because people appear to be genuinely upset. By one guy's stupid opinion.

To sum up, if you take it across the goal line, you will have a procedure to get PIF transactions reported.

Pay It Forward

or as Fingh refers to it: Pass The Trash

doh!

I see we have hit a new low in board history.

:eyeroll:

Give me a break. This place must be a crack house/dog fighting club/ porn theater to you as much as you trot out your self righteousness.

It's called an opinion. Everyone has one. If you don't agree with that opinion, you don't agree but please carry on saving the children.

Parky - how ya doing? :hi:

I figured where two or three buddies showed up, you'd be right behind.

Meanwhile, let's continue this BS fest in the General Discussion thread. Or is that a stretch for rational and reasonable thinking?

Captain Condescension,

How goes your smarminess?

I have an alarm that goes off when the self righteous(you) start trumpeting from their pulpit(your permanent residence) about the masses (the rest of us that don't agree with you) and how wrong they are.

As anyone paying any attention can see, you still can't let go of the rational and reasonable thing. But please continue being oblivious to your hypocrisy. And that of your group of friends.

You want to have a discussion, which was what was happening before you dropped in with "all time low on the boards", then let's have a discussion. If you want to have a battle of wits, I have some spare time but only if you can a) be funny b) keep to the discussion at hand and not your groupthink butthurt from previous discussions and c) be funny.

I think you got hosed and people should know about it. The stumbling block is the oddness of the PIF structure. I would hope there's a way to pressure this person to do the right thing for your. That's the primary goal of the PL, to right the wrong if possible.

I hope that happens for you.

I don't think PIF stuff should be in the probation thread either. I don't look at it as a transaction. Not a ton of people go into the PIF thread so CG would be the better place to start a thread. Which would get nuked in a hurry. So that wouldn't work.

I can make the leap that because someone didn't follow through in the PIF thread that they would be a potential problem in a sales transaction but if you want to start putting people on the PL for what they might do, then the PL needs to go away altogether.

I think calling them out in the PIF thread and warning the rest of those that participate in that thread would be what I would do.

I think the best solution would be the route I went (and maybe put it in the rules for the PIF thread). If you get hosed, have a group of people that are available via PM (or a thread like the PL discussion one but in CG) to discuss whether or not the issue is worthy of the PL.

That would stop people from "mucking up" the PL with "he didn't ship fast enough" type issues.

I think this would be best because you aren't putting someone on the PL for something they might do, it's something they did. And, having one list of "bad guys" makes things alot easier when deciding on who you are going to deal with.

I tend to agree that it would be helpful to people in the marketplace if PIF wrongdoers were identified in the PL - but the PIF people have an easy fix & a stickied thread in CG. (shrug)

The solution:

Everytime someone posts a new offer they bring the PIF - PL guys' names forward.

Example:

Hey junque-lovers - here's a CGC'd 8.5 copy of Amazing Spider-man 439 with ow/w pages, 100 treasury bags & a Spider-man night light.

First :takeit: in the thread gets it - foreigners pay $15.00 extra for shipping.

PL - BathedinFlames is not eligible for this offer

I think the best solution would be the route I went (and maybe put it in the rules for the PIF thread). If you get hosed, have a group of people that are available via PM (or a thread like the PL discussion one but in CG) to discuss whether or not the issue is worthy of the PL.

That would stop people from "mucking up" the PL with "he didn't ship fast enough" type issues.

I think this would be best because you aren't putting someone on the PL for something they might do, it's something they did. And, having one list of "bad guys" makes things alot easier when deciding on who you are going to deal with.

I disagree. There was not a transaction. Technically, Pay It Forward is just that. You pick something cool and you out something cool out there for somebody else. There is no direct transaction or contract (credit to Fingh, comix4fun and Shelley).

The spirit of the PIF thread should not be about airing a grievance to make something right. If you (general) screw up something that is supposed to be a feel good thing for the community, then a quick shaming and moving on should do it. If you want to elevate it to the PL, then you are missing the point of PIF.

If it gets to the point where there are that many complaints, then you are all missing the point and it should go away. Doing something like this should be because you want to and not because you expect something.

I tend to agree that it would be helpful to people in the marketplace if PIF wrongdoers were identified in the PL - but the PIF people have an easy fix & a stickied thread in CG. (shrug)

The solution:

Everytime someone posts a new offer they bring the PIF - PL guys' names forward.

Example:

Hey junque-lovers - here's a CGC'd 8.5 copy of Amazing Spider-man 439 with ow/w pages, 100 treasury bags & a Spider-man night light.

First :takeit: in the thread gets it - foreigners pay $15.00 extra for shipping.

PL - BathedinFlames is not eligible for this offer

I would disagree with that as well. For sales transactions? Sure. For something that is supposed to be a community thing? Constant shaming seems to be missing the point by a wide margin.

I thought the point of the PL was to list the people who have done wrong and not made it right. Please explain what it really is for (not meant to sound like a jerk. Just wondering if my understanding is wrong).

There is a transaction/contract...isn't there? link

I think in general, I might agree with this, its a bit too open ended. What if after I claim something, there doesn't seem to be anything to compel me to post anything in the future for a claim. And that might be something to get mad, but maybe not a legally enforceable contract.

BUT once he does offer something up. AND someone claims it. And the person who claims it not only posts a new item but it is then also claimed then sent and reciveved by the next party, i'm pretty sure you've got MORE than a contract.

"I offer this Item X to whomever, provided they also offer up an Item Y to be claimed by someone else"

I'm pretty sure that the claiming of the item, posting of the new item offer AND (if there was any doubt) subsequent sending out of that item means that the 'victim' in this case completed his side of the contract.

The perpetrator basically broke 2 contracts in this case, and people may not think the PL would want to know? And any question of value should not come into play, as the principle is the same. You shouldn't cheat someone for $2 or $200 or $2000

This example doesn't take into account that the rules of the pay if forward are (simplified):

• there is only 1 offer at a time
  • if you take the offer, you MUST post an offer within 24 hours

So it's not like there is a list of things to choose from and then later in life you can post your offering.

Edited by manicnerd