• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Keep in mind...I'm not laughing at him. We were all rookies at one point and had to learn the ropes (I know I did).

I just can't remember anyone who came in...guns a blazin', asking for consignment books with a 20% commission attached.

Again, it makes me chuckle...b/c I learned the hard way.

This kid makes me laugh...

X-Men 1

And now its been clipped.

The OP cited that "Im seeing 800-1500 gpa" and tha'ts no where close to accurate (highest sale ever in GPA is 1029).

He gets to ask what he gets to ask (or what the owner is telling him to ask) but he doesnt get to mis-cite GPA.

I know it's fun to pick, but where is the line drawn between concern and krapping.

And posting GPA figures in someone's sales thread is just bad taste, regardless of how off they are in their asking price. This happens all the time on eBay. Sellers ask 150-200% of GPA and people complain. A seller can ask what they want and a buyer has the choice NOT to buy that book and move on.

I know it's fun to pick, but where is the line drawn between concern and krapping.

And posting GPA figures in someone's sales thread is just bad taste, regardless of how off they are in their asking price. This happens all the time on eBay. Sellers ask 150-200% of GPA and people complain. A seller can ask what they want and a buyer has the choice NOT to buy that book and move on.

I agree. seller gets to ask what the seller wants to ask. posting GPA (when it's different) dampens the chance of sale and might dissuade someone from making an offer.

My issue is when someone "cites" GPA inconsistently, inaccurately or manipulates the data to trying a "sell" the potential buyer on the deal.

The seller did mis-cite GPA, either by accident or lack of experience with the data, or I dont know...That type of mis-information I think should be noted/corrected in the thread.

[i remember someone citing 12 mo GPA in a sales thread, and then switching to 90 day when it was more beneficial, and then just citiing "last sale" when it was most beneficial on a book that had a big BIN hit that was a huge outlier vs the 90 day/12 mo averages]

If it was just in a store, I'd walk out, but to me this is a community, and I dont like the idea of someone trying to take advantage of a member of our little community.

That was pretty fast IMO. I suppose the mods didn't want that thread spiraling out of control (was getting there quickly).

Anyways, as far as the misquote of GPA, that doesn't bother me b/c frankly, if someone is dumb enough to take a "sketchy seller" (at best) at his word, then they need to be taken advantage of...

Remember...a fool and his money shall soon be parted.

This kid makes me laugh...

X-Men 1

The OP cited that "Im seeing 800-1500 gpa" and tha'ts no where close to accurate (highest sale ever in GPA is 1029).

He gets to ask what he gets to ask (or what the owner is telling him to ask) but he doesnt get to mis-cite GPA.

So what is the correct value to quote for GPA?

A hot book on the rise showing last sale

A book that has been constant for the last few months after a movie spike (90 day)

A book that was burning up but now taken a back seat to other popular books (12 month)

Not saying the data can't be manipulated to ones benefit as all data can be (and often is) to achieve the results of the user.

Whatever Iceman says it is ;)

It's all individual preference. I like two data points (12mo / Last sale). Some sellers here ask more than GPA on books that have particularly good eye appeal or wrap, which is fine too.

A book that has been constant for the last few months after a movie spike (90 day)

A book that was burning up but now taken a back seat to other popular books (12 month)

Not saying the data can't be manipulated to ones benefit as all data can be (and often is) to achieve the results of the user.

I try to pick a data point and stick with it based on the type of book, and the # of sales. Sometimes I might extend the data window if there arent a lot of sales. (like if there's only been 1 sale in 90 days, but 4 sales in 12 months, I'll move it to 12 months to get more data points). Usually I stick to 1 point (like 12 mo GPA) and then ADD the extra info that justifies my asking price (like a higher 90 day average, or a big bump in the last few sales).

Providing more info is fine, providing selective data is sketchy.

And all the X-men seller did was cite a sales range (800-1500 on gpa) but that sale price range doesnt line up with ANY data in GPA. No X-men 1.0 has EVER a recorded sale in GPA over $1029, so to note a 1500 sale is erroneous for sure.

It's all individual preference. I like two data points (12mo / Last sale). Some sellers here ask more than GPA on books that have particularly good eye appeal or wrap, which is fine too.

+1

Im a big fan of people making their case for their price. Note the eye appeal, centering, heck if you know there was a low outlier that had Tan pages and was a weird auction close date, tell me that!

Edited by Miraclemet

Whatever Iceman says it is ;)

Oh good from now on I shall use that :D

I try to pick a data point and stick with it based on the type of book, and the # of sales. Sometimes I might extend the data window if there arent a lot of sales. (like if there's only been 1 sale in 90 days, but 4 sales in 12 months, I'll move it to 12 months to get more data points). Usually I stick to 1 point (like 12 mo GPA) and then ADD the extra info that justifies my asking price (like a higher 90 day average, or a big bump in the last few sales).

Providing more info is fine, providing selective data is sketchy.

And all the X-men seller did was cite a sales range (800-1500 on gpa) but that sale price range doesnt line up with ANY data in GPA. No X-men 1.5 has EVER a recorded sale in GPA over $1029, so to note a 1500 sale is erroneous for sure.

Fixed the 1.0 to 1.5, but numbers you said are correct.

I am not trying to justify his pricing or his statement but when the first thing VETERANS do on the boards is say good luck your price is WAY to high, it is uncalled for. Say good luck and move on.