• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I don't understand,why would you not pay as soon as the auction ends? (shrug)

Because some people don't sit around waiting for comic book auctions to end?

Exactly, but following payment, is there an equivalent mandated shipping time for sellers? If so, how many days?

:popcorn:

I guess the next time I have a bid on an item that ends at 2 am, I need to set my alarm so that I can get up and paypal it. Lord knows it can't wait until morning, or *gasp* the afternoon???? That's crazy talk.

I'm pretty sure that is Oakman's point. If an auction ends at an inconvenient time on any given day, check it the next day and, if you won, pay for it. It's business. You "started it" by bidding. No need to let it sit.

I guess the next time I have a bid on an item that ends at 2 am, I need to set my alarm so that I can get up and paypal it. Lord knows it can't wait until morning, or *gasp* the afternoon???? That's crazy talk.

I'm pretty sure that is Oakman's point. If an auction ends at an inconvenient time on any given day, check it the next day and, if you won, pay for it. It's business. You "started it" by bidding. No need to let it sit.

Right, but by some sellers' logic, you are going to get five invoices in that 19 hours between when the auction ends and when you pay for it. There has to be some happy medium between unreasonable delay and seller freak-out.

I do agree that the online payment systems and smart phones have made it much easier to pay on the fly. There is much less excuse for a 3-4 day delay. I just remember the days when people were mailing checks and money orders for Ebay stuff. :)

Exactly, but following payment, is there an equivalent mandated shipping time for sellers? If so, how many days?

24 hours.

Right, but by some sellers' logic, you are going to get five invoices in that 19 hours between when the auction ends and when you pay for it. There has to be some happy medium between unreasonable delay and seller freak-out.

I do agree that the online payment systems and smart phones have made it much easier to pay on the fly. There is much less excuse for a 3-4 day delay. I just remember the days when people were mailing checks and money orders for Ebay stuff. :)

What fun!

Wait for the auction to end.

Wait for the seller to send you a total

Write a check (and then wait for it to clear before the seller would send)

or

Go get a money order

Mail it out

Wait for the seller to receive

Wait for the seller to ship

Faint if the seller actually notified you that the item was shipped

Wait for the mail to arrive

:banana:

I agree Oak. If money is so tight that you cant pay for your item immediately then perhaps it is not a good time to be buying expensive comics. I don't mean that to be rude or insulting in any way, but just basic economics.

I pay within a week but rarely immediately.

I agree Oak. If money is so tight that you cant pay for your item immediately then perhaps it is not a good time to be buying expensive comics. I don't mean that to be rude or insulting in any way, but just basic economics.

2149832_o.gif

2149832_o.gif

lol

I get more reminders than I used to. Both automatic and from sellers. 7 days to pay and 7 days to ship. :cloud9:

I found it too much of a headache to keep up with ebay's increased pressure to ship in 30 seconds so I subbed it out. I'm sure my feedback eases most sellers that I will pay within the time frame and I always answer any emails.

2149832_o.gif

lol

I get more reminders than I used to. Both automatic and from sellers. 7 days to pay and 7 days to ship. :cloud9:

I found it too much of a headache to keep up with ebay's increased pressure to ship in 30 seconds so I subbed it out. I'm sure my feedback eases most sellers that I will pay within the time frame and I always answer any emails.

I agree, ebay gives you a certain amount of time to pay. If you want the money faster, you should say so in your listing. Most people don't pay their power or cable bill the same day as they receive their bill in the mail. Its a non-issue to take a couple days.

If you can't wait a few days for your comic book money, maybe you shouldn't be selling on ebay or you should define your purchasing terms better in your listing.

You need to ship the next day. I always did that and still try to, but I find myself listing less on eBay because of it. I think for the first time I'm under 100 items for the year.

About a year ago I sent a boarder 25 items he won on eBay in one box. I didn't charge him shipping because he bought so much. I uploaded the tracking number immediately, but I only did it for ONE item, the first one ...I didn't know I had to enter it 25 times. I lost my top seller status for 3 months because of that. They said that I should have known I had to enter it 25 times.

I do send personalized invoices, but I send them once.

I usually have automated non paying seller things turned off because I have people I've know for a long time accumulating things and I don't want to bother them.

I was annoyed when eBay would send them notices...I think 2 days is way too quick to send out a NPB thing...but eBay is not the warm fuzzy place they used to be.

As for myself, I pay asap, just don't want to forget.

I pay immediately. I like the surprised responses I get back from sellers that I'm unusually fast. Plus, I expect sellers to show the same respect and ship as soon as possible. If they don't, I move my purchases elsewhere. One and done. Common sense.

Dan

Most people don't pay their power or cable bill the same day as they receive their bill in the mail. Its a non-issue to take a couple days.

Its not the same thing. If a buyer elects to purchase something on ebay but doesn't pay right away they are also robbing the seller of the opportunity to sell the item to someone else. That week where you didn't feel like paying for your item because you couldn't get around to it, is a week where the seller could still have that item listed for sale in their store. Depending on the item it could be a very big deal in terms of attracting other buyers. The seller could have potentially sold the book to someone else during your week of waffling and been paid the same day, then used the profits to acquire more inventory and sell the new inventory by the weekend, etc.

I've never bought something on eBay, received it and said I would pay the following week.

Jeff

Ever bought a sandwich on Ebay?

I've never bought something on eBay, received it and said I would pay the following week.

Jeff

Ever bought a sandwich on Ebay?

Yes. It was shaped like Elvis.