• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Sounds to me like a pl issue.

Even if he has collected thousands of dollars and failed to pay the artist or deliver the books? This behavior extends to other unfulfilled ops as well. This was the only one I am involved in. The Ace Continuado op is currently unfolding in the same manner

Same issue with me with Aaron and a Ace Continuado sketch opp. From what I can tell he is a liar.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7898251#Post7898251

This should be posted and discussed, in the probation discussion thread.

I moved to the probation discussion thread. Thank you for the heads up. I am unfamiliar with the process.

No problem. I hope it works out for everyone. :wishluck:

Threads without full rules should just be pulled out of fairness for everyone (and not directed at anyone in particular).

I like the underlying notion behind this comment, in terms of maintaining fairness. However, this leads to another elephant in the room, which has sort of come up before in discussion, but never really fleshed out...(and this applies not only to "regular rules" threads, but also more generally to threads that don't follow marketplace guidelines for whatever reason)...

Let's say we get Arch to add a "no regular rules" guideline, and therefore moderators in principle will pull the thread as soon as they can. So, a "regular rules" thread comes along, and some of us stand on principle and abstain from purchasing books from the thread, because it clearly needs to be pulled. Meanwhile, another one of us comes along and posts up a 'take it'...you know, because it's a really cool book. Then, of course, the transaction gets completed before mods can pull the thread. Happens all the time. So, (as is typical in many arenas of life) those of us who stood on principle miss out. What are we going to do then? No way will Arch/mods get involved to "undo" that transaction. So, do we just pull out the pitchforks and try to publicly shame the purchasing boardie for making the purchase in a thread that doesn't meet guidelines? (shrug) Maybe it was an "innocent" purchase from the purchasing boardie's perspective, maybe not.

Point is that it'll be hard to maintain "fairness" in this respect as long as boardies can complete transactions in "violating" threads...and I see no clear way to moderate this.

So, how do we handle a situation where a boardie posts a 'take it' in a "regular rules" thread before the thread gets pulled? Tough problem.

Threads without full rules should just be pulled out of fairness for everyone (and not directed at anyone in particular).

I like the underlying notion behind this comment, in terms of maintaining fairness. However, this leads to another elephant in the room, which has sort of come up before in discussion, but never really fleshed out...(and this applies not only to "regular rules" threads, but also more generally to threads that don't follow marketplace guidelines for whatever reason)...

Let's say we get Arch to add a "no regular rules" guideline, and therefore moderators in principle will pull the thread as soon as they can. So, a "regular rules" thread comes along, and some of us stand on principle and abstain from purchasing books from the thread, because it clearly needs to be pulled. Meanwhile, another one of us comes along and posts up a 'take it'...you know, because it's a really cool book. Then, of course, the transaction gets completed before mods can pull the thread. Happens all the time. So, (as is typical in many arenas of life) those of us who stood on principle miss out. What are we going to do then? No way will Arch/mods get involved to "undo" that transaction. So, do we just pull out the pitchforks and try to publicly shame the purchasing boardie for making the purchase in a thread that doesn't meet guidelines? (shrug) Maybe it was an "innocent" purchase from the purchasing boardie's perspective, maybe not.

Point is that it'll be hard to maintain "fairness" in this respect as long as boardies can complete transactions in "violating" threads...and I see no clear way to moderate this.

So, how do we handle a situation where a boardie posts a 'take it' in a "regular rules" thread before the thread gets pulled? Tough problem.

Mod seem to act pretty quick when the notify button is activated but yeah, it can become sloppy I suppose.

I still believe in adding the "no 'regular rules' allowed" in sales threads rules and then possibly polite discourse in threads that use it for those who didn't know better.

It will take some time to transition but if consistently applied it will eventually become the norm.

So what sort of things need to be covered with the 'regular rules"?

Method of payment?

Time stamps (will a seller accept a purchase privately via PM)

Do unconditional purchases trump conditional ones or is it up to the seller's discretion?

etc.

Roy how about instead of having arch ban Regular rules, we come up with a sticky of rules that are the default sale rules. So that if someone says "regular rules apply" then they are held to that list. Of course anyone can copy/modify/or ignore those rules but they have to proactively do that. Thoughts?

Roy how about instead of having arch ban Regular rules, we come up with a sticky of rules that are the default sale rules. So that if someone says "regular rules apply" then they are held to that list. Of course anyone can copy/modify/or ignore those rules but they have to proactively do that. Thoughts?

seems simpler, and more logical. Therefore I'm categorically against it.

This is a great idea. (thumbs u This would appease people that are lazy and don't want to write out their own rules while also allowing those that wish to write out their own rules do so. :idea:

What if there were a field that MUST be filled out as the header for every thread:

Example:

Methods of Payment: Paypal, Check, MO

Will Ship to: Worldwide

Methods of Shipping: Free CONUS Shipping, International Express Priority

Will Not Sell to: HOS, Probies and "names" (Yes we should name names- it might cut down on some drama)

Priority of Claims: Unconditional trumps conditional :takeit:, if an unconditonal :takeit: is made in PM and in the thread we go by timestamp.

Because we can't control the structuring of threads/posts and CGC has taken a (understandable) position that they do not want to be actively involved in sales threads. That is why it needs to be something done by the community. I think having some sort of "Regular Sales Thread Rules" stickied in the sales forum so when people refer to "regular rules apply" it is transparent what those rules are.

But that is something that needs to be hashed out by the community. Maybe someone can start a thread to discuss and get feedback and then take the final product to Arch to sticky? (shrug)

:gossip: Go ahead, put that in the Out-of-Context thread. I don't care. :D

German guy is going to try to put me on the PL this week :o

The guy that gets back to you months later? Yeah... I believe the general consensus was that people felt he was trying to scam you.

This is a great idea. (thumbs u This would appease people that are lazy and don't want to write out their own rules while also allowing those that wish to write out their own rules do so. :idea:

Does it make more sense to have the discussion of creating these "regular rules" in this thread or to PM arch and ask him if we can create a discussion thread in the sales forum for the discussion and formation of a sample set which would then be voted on for adoption (similar to a constitutional convention/how the older crew created the PL/HoS rules)?

There's not much to nail down in terms of "regular rules" is there?

Typical rules...

1. :takeit: in thread or PM by time stamp wins. All other negotiations can be trumped by :takeit: All conditional "take it"s can be trumped by unconditional :takeit:

2. Buyer pays actual shipping costs. Slabs go boxed priority mail. Raws go in padded, reinforced envelopes.

3. Payment via Paypal, 3% discount for check/MO.

beyond that... what's "typical"?