• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I just pay immediately, cable bill or comic book. Cash on the barrel, so to speak. My Pop always said that... or was it Michael Landon? hm

Dan

To each their own. (thumbs u

I've never bought something on eBay, received it and said I would pay the following week.

Jeff

Ever bought a sandwich on Ebay?

Ever gladly paid someone next Tuesday for a hamburger today?

Dan

I've never bought something on eBay, received it and said I would pay the following week.

Jeff

Yes. It was shaped like Elvis.

You may want to check out this thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7873140#Post7873140

Jeff

Ever gladly paid someone next Tuesday for a hamburger today?

Dan

hm

Same example. Same answer.

Most people don't pay their power or cable bill the same day as they receive their bill in the mail. Its a non-issue to take a couple days.

Its not the same thing. If a buyer elects to purchase something on ebay but doesn't pay right away they are also robbing the seller of the opportunity to sell the item to someone else. That week where you didn't feel like paying for your item because you couldn't get around to it, is a week where the seller could still have that item listed for sale in their store. Depending on the item it could be a very big deal in terms of attracting other buyers. The seller could have potentially sold the book to someone else during your week of waffling and been paid the same day, then used the profits to acquire more inventory and sell the new inventory by the weekend, etc.

Actually, its not too far from the same thing. If I pay my cable bill faster, they can reinvest the money in terms of their investments or pay their own bills quicker saving them potentially on interest or getting quick payment discounts. Just about every business would prefer quicker payment and has stuff they could use the money on.

My point is that when you allow people a certain amount of time to pay without penalty, its not unreasonable to expect that they will take the full allotted time to pay. That's part of doing business, just about any business. It doesn't make any buyer a bad buyer to pay within the agreed upon time span. If you choose not to sell under those terms, that's totally understandable, as EBAY is not the perfect venue for every buyer and seller. Ebay (in theory) allows buyers 5-7 days (or whatever) before payment is required.

Someone who relies on EBAY as a significant revenue stream would surely figure out the rules and learn how to operate their business within those rules, and/or tailor their listings to reflect their need for quicker payment.

As a buyer or seller, all I'm looking for in a transaction is for the other party to honor the terms of the agreement, regardless of who set the terms (me, ebay, other party, government, God, Mike Trout, whoever).

No doubt you slow-to-pay buyers find a handling time of 6 days to be acceptable as well, right?

No doubt you quick to pay buyers expect the seller to ship the item immediately upon receiving payment. (and yes, some people do expect that)

No doubt you slow-to-pay buyers find a handling time of 6 days to be acceptable as well, right?

No doubt you quick to pay buyers expect the seller to ship the item immediately upon receiving payment. (and yes, some people do expect that)

I ship next day to keep my TRS discount. The idea that most buyers would tolerate a 6 day handling time is laughable.

I ship next day to keep my TRS discount. The idea that most buyers would tolerate a 6 day handling time is laughable.

I've been on ebay since the ' 99 and remember how it was back in those days, I certainly don't sweat it when a seller doesn't ship immediately. I don't expect a seller to drop everything for me. That's a level of entitlement bred by today's instant gratification society.

Forgive me for asking, but what is the big rush?

Forgive me for asking, but what is the big rush?

You need to ask eBay, Robert... they have been pushing these fast deadlines for years in an attempt (I'm guessing) to out Amazon/Amazon.

I always try to ship quickly, if I have someone else's money...but that's just me. Over the past few years this Star rating/ Discount/TRS thing has been totally out of hand. If I am going out of town anytime in the next few weeks, just won't list stuff because someone can pay me a week late,but I'd STILL have to have the item shipped the next day (and the tracking uploaded.

My husband always jokes that Amazon delivers before you finish typing the order...I guess eBay likes the way that works.

For me, I liked it when it was your neighborhood garage sale type thing and you could actually talk to the people you were buying from or selling to.

This shouldn't be about packing up items quickly and paying when you get an invoice.

Ebay lets a seller open an unpaid item case and the buyer has three to seven days to pay before the case is closed and an unpaid item strike goes on the buyers account.

This is about a buyer getting upset that a seller opened an unpaid item case three days after a buyer purchased an item - the buyer even said he was thinking/ planning on leaving negative feedback.

Now well the, "I'm sure the same people who expect the seller to wait for payment also expect the seller to ship the same day payment is received" is a good argument, but you guys are missing the point.

phokingfacevalue or Phoking asked for advice and pretty much wanted everyone to agree with him about leaving negative or neutral feedback to a seller that does no deserve it. Can we talk about that please?

This shouldn't be about packing up items quickly and paying when you get an invoice.

Ebay lets a seller open an unpaid item case and the buyer has three to seven days to pay before the case is closed and an unpaid item strike goes on the buyers account.

This is about a buyer getting upset that a seller opened an unpaid item case three days after a buyer purchased an item - the buyer even said he was thinking/ planning on leaving negative feedback.

Now well the, "I'm sure the same people who expect the seller to wait for payment also expect the seller to ship the same day payment is received" is a good argument, but you guys are missing the point.

phokingfacevalue or Phoking asked for advice and pretty much wanted everyone to agree with him about leaving negative or neutral feedback to a seller that does no deserve it. Can we talk about that please?

I thought we already reached a consensus that phoking was being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for wanting to harm a seller's rep via negative feedback because he was personally offended about being spammed with invoices.

I thought we already reached a consensus that phoking was being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for wanting to harm a seller's rep via negative feedback because he was personally offended about being spammed with invoices.

lol than I'm confused why you guys are still talking about it.