• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

This "regular rules" nonsense needs to stop since they seem to vary becoming quite irregular from thread to thread.

Annoyance over.

Edited by Buzzetta

This "regular rules" nonsense needs to stop since they seem to vary becoming quite irregular from thread to thread.

+1

Just plain lazy...not to mention that such threads don't technically meet marketplace guidelines. In my idealistic fantasy world that does not exist, all of us buyers would abstain from buying books from those threads.

edit: I wonder how it would play out if I bought a book from a "regular rules" thread like this:

" :takeit:, and I'll pay via check at a 3% discount off your asking price, with free USPS Priority Shipping "

I mean, that's as "regular" as anything else...interesting experiment to consider hm

Edited by edowens71

+1

Just plain lazy...not to mention that such threads don't technically meet marketplace guidelines. In my idealistic fantasy world that does not exist, all of us buyers would abstain from buying books from those threads.

edit: I wonder how it would play out if I bought a book from a "regular rules" thread like this:

" :takeit:, and I'll pay via check at a 3% discount off your asking price, with free USPS Priority Shipping "

I mean, that's as "regular" as anything else...interesting experiment to consider hm

I posted an unconditional takeit in a thread early this morning after someone posted a pending pics reply. This is pretty easy to figure out what thread I am talking about. I then thought about it and edited it out because I did not feel like dealing with the likely drama to ensue. We all saw what happened the last time something like that had arisen. And if anyone saw it and wants to hold me to the sale by all means please do. Who wouldn't want a higher grade book at 70% of GPA saving about $500 off the last recorded sale and the average price?

I posted an unconditional takeit in a thread early this morning after someone posted a pending pics reply. This is pretty easy to figure out what thread I am talking about. I then thought about it and edited it out because I did not feel like dealing with the likely drama to ensue. We all saw what happened the last time something like that had arisen. And if anyone saw it and wants to hold me to the sale by all means please do. Who wouldn't want a higher grade book at 70% of GPA saving about $500 off the last recorded sale and the average price?

I had my finger on the 'take it' trigger on that book well before the conditional taker's post. I likewise held off because of several issues in the initial thread specification, including the fact that no rules were specified (not to mention the OP's clearly revealed state of being at the time)...don't need the drama

I had my finger on the 'take it' trigger on that book well before the conditional taker's post. I likewise held off because of several issues in the initial thread specification, including the fact that no rules were specified (not to mention the OP's clearly revealed state of being at the time)...don't need the drama

Exactly...

I had my finger on the 'take it' trigger on that book well before the conditional taker's post. I likewise held off because of several issues in the initial thread specification, including the fact that no rules were specified (not to mention the OP's clearly revealed state of being at the time...don't need the drama

A good and considered point. If a friend phoned me up one evening to sell a book cheaply and they sounded drunk, I'd say call me back in the morning. (shrug)

I had my finger on the 'take it' trigger on that book well before the conditional taker's post. I likewise held off because of several issues in the initial thread specification, including the fact that no rules were specified (not to mention the OP's clearly revealed state of being at the time...don't need the drama

A good and considered point. If a friend phoned me up one evening to sell a book cheaply and they sounded drunk, I'd say call me back in the morning. (shrug)

Take it pending pics. Does that mean if he never provides pics he does not have to complete the sale?

Edited by inthehottub

Take it pending pics. Does that mean if he never provides pics he does not have to complete the sale?

I don't think "Take it pending pics" is a reasonable response to an item for sale. Either you take it then and there, or you don't.

I don't think "Take it pending pics" is a reasonable response to an item for sale. Either you take it then and there, or you don't.

My personal opinion is that 'take it pending pics' shouldn't be allowed. It just complicates things and adds a layer of noise and confusion.

Obviously, posting scans is thevway to go but I understand also that there can be circumstances that someone needs to sell something for whatever reason and pics are not immediately available but in those cases, a seller should at least stipulate whether an unconditional :takeit: trumps the conditional one or not.

My 2c

Annoyance over.

Agreed. Arch should amend the rules and the term 'regular rules' should not be allowed. It just opens the doors to so many problems.

Annoyance over.

Agreed. Arch should amend the rules and the term 'regular rules' should not be allowed. It just opens the doors to so many problems.

(thumbs u

Annoyance over.

(thumbs u

Actually, Arch doesn't need to amend the rules. The marketplace usage guidelines already preclude a simple "regular rules" declaration. I quote:

8. List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

So, simply declaring "regular rules" already violates existing marketplace guidelines. The problem is us - if we properly self-regulated like we're supposed to, we would not buy books from those threads, and we would point them out as rules violations by posting Arch's template, etc. Instead, we buy the books from those threads like a frikin' pack of hungry wolves...

The term regular rules also makes the concept of first come, first served muddy.

I think just noting in the rules that 'regular rules' is not allowef would help.

I think just noting in the rules that 'regular rules' is not allowef would help.

Yeah, I see that...couldn't hurt to reinforce the message. You see what I'm saying, though...there are already rules in place that you need to specify rules.

Yeah, I see that...couldn't hurt to reinforce the message. You see what I'm saying, though...there are already rules in place that you need to specify rules.

... and don't forget the rules that we have no idea even exist. And also the rules that don't apply to some and that apply to others.

How does one reinforce a message... when the message is changed at will by the host?

Hopefully the "other" board will address these issues more fairly hm

The term regular rules also makes the concept of first come, first served muddy.

Yes, and this is a whole other issue. Note that even if Arch were to add a "no regular rules" guideline as we're discussing, that wouldn't fix this particular problem. It doesn't fix it because there is no other guideline in place that requires a seller to add a thread rule that dictates 'take it' priorities, etc.

So, the fix would be for Arch to also add a marketplace guideline just like we have for shipping and payment options, that says something like "9b. List how you will determine the winner of an item, including your policy on conditional 'take its'"

Adding a rule like this is parallel to the rule that says "List acceptable forms of payment." It would still be up to the seller to choose how they will determine the winner, but this new guideline I suggest would mandate that sellers specify something in this regard.

So now out of curiosity, so I know going forward. Had I kept the unconditional :takeit: sign and demanded the book:

1 - What would the reaction have been as to who gets the book as "regular rules" could be open to anything?

2 - The boardie admitted that he had too much to drink as he was making the initial post. Does this figure into the thread?

Threads without full rules should just be pulled out of fairness for everyone (and not directed at anyone in particular).

I would like to nominate Ajl007 (Aaron) to the probation list / hall of shame. I am unsure which list the transgression belongs under but I believe that perhaps it is H.O.S worthy?

Aaron ran several ops under the SS threads, one of which was for sketches by Jun Monares. The sketch op began around September 2012. I joined the op in October 2012 and paid in full for a wrap around team sketch with CGC Fast Track fees. The sketch cover was eventually completed with a scan sent to me. However, the actual cover has never materialized. In the meantime, Aaron has abandoned the op and Glynn Sr stepped in to try and fulfill the obligations. Glynn has the sketches in hand but no $$ for grading them from Aaron. In addition to this, Glynn Sr has informed me that Aaron also failed to pay the artist. He will not respond to PM's and it appears that he has left the forum. This is quite surprising since he spent months hyping his Capital City Comic Con. This leaves me in the position of repaying the CGC submission fees to Glynn in order to get the cover subbed. I have no idea how the artist will get compensated.

I have sent the PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL / HOS. Please let me know if more facts are needed.