• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, themagicrobot said:

Yes but where am I and new visitors supposed to easily find that updated list dated May 5th 2019?

I've just added a 'last updated' date at the top of each of the seven UKPV journal summary pages Robot. 

If you click on my board avatar picture, you can see tabs for 'Journals' and 'About Me' - they have links to all my stuff:

Capture_LI.thumb.jpg.3eaf248f6d44e494310518d2ce1b74bf.jpg

Here's my old copy, by the way:

102.thumb.jpg.9def109abb66e478cbeb096832321bce.jpg

It took a very long time to track him down - one of the scarcer 9d Kids in my experience.

...and I think I've posted this before - not my copy, it's from an old auction photo - but that's some riot of stamps isn't it.

241781-0.thumb.jpg.cfd38697c40594c950463ae2f6d5e081.jpg

Love it :cloud9:

On 10/22/2021 at 3:04 AM, paqart said:

The first comic I ever owned, as far as I recall, is Avengers #94, bought off a spinner rack for a quarter. I've wanted to have another copy for a long time. I'll have to keep looking because the copy I just got is a pence variant.

Avengers 94.jpg

And you can just about see that 6p sticker residue there on your copy Paqart - it looked like this at some point:

2019143078_Avengers936psticker.jpg.5c9ac5de43386daf9101b0dc175a0151.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 7:25 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Seems to me the chipping was more prevalent in the early days. Anyone have any idea when it got fixed?

No prizes, but who has the latest UKPV with chipping?

I think chipping diminished over a period of time and a number of improvements in the early to mid 60’s, but if you’re looking for Chipping’s Last Stand (which sounds like something Michael Palin satirised)  my go-to place for that step change would be Feb 1968.  The best example to look at IMO is Avengers because Avengers 48 has a predominantly white cover and 49 has a predominantly black cover, so you would expect the average 49 to look like Hell compared to an equivalent 48. Also, 48 is first new Black Knight so more collectible, far more valuable and therefore more likely to have been looked after. However, there are actually far more chipped and badly conditioned 48’s around, I believe. 

But how can that be, you ask.   What happened in Feb 68? 
Printing moved from ECP in Waterbury to WCP in Sparta and the covers got a significant quality upgrade, but were also printed on much better presses and, presumably, guillotined on better (certainly much newer) equipment (Eastern had been slowly getting out of comics since 1955, where World had been doing nothing but gearing up for more).
If you rub the covers (steady, now) of Eastern printings and World printings, you can feel a difference (I think).  The Sparta paper feels not exactly smoother, but less grainy and the Eastern paper flops more under it’s own weight.  I would love to say that I can feel the Eastern paper is more brittle to substantiate my point, but I really can’t detect that.  Doesn’t mean it’s not true though. 
As I said, I don’t think this is a singular moment. A lot of the worst chipping examples I have seen are Marvels from the late 50’s and early 60’s……but is that just because they are rarer, more valuable, lower print runs and therefore more of the bad conditioned ones were kept? Is it because there were far more collectors as the 60’s went on?
Happy to be shot down, and this may be a point more about overall print quality of which chipping is just part, but if you want to find the very end of the chipping era, I’d start there. 

(Note, I grabbed a load of examples of 48 and 49 but the board is not accepting any pics uploads at the mo, so you'll have to Accept The Word Of One Who Thinks He Knows).

On 10/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, Malacoda said:

(Note, I grabbed a load of examples of 48 and 49 but the board is not accepting any pics uploads at the mo, so you'll have to Accept The Word Of One Who Thinks He Knows).

Nicely done Rich, nicely done :golfclap:

142367399_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.1e6cdb11810d1976091b22ad67bb9dbf.jpg 95081915_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.e172f968f5eb7fc99dc073a66af373b4.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 7:50 PM, Malacoda said:

Aha.  Thanks to both of you. Exactly. When you consider how much worse black covers show creases, colour breaks etc, you can really see the difference. 

I love that - the comics themselves dutifully back up the site date move. If you didn't know the exact date, they'd tell you :headbang:

On 10/22/2021 at 7:55 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I love that - the comics themselves dutifully back up the site date move. If you didn't know the exact date, they'd tell you :headbang:

Yes. Though I posted this an example of chipping, on the pics Kevin & I posted, you can see the degradation even worse in the spines!

One point I guess is that Albert was talking particularly about UKPV's and the point in time I'm highlighting is in the 3rd hiatus, when there were no PV's, so I guess there is another point there about 'if they were printing the UKPV's first to check the tech then the PV's might have suffered worse chipping' which is completely irrelevant to this point in time as we were just getting a load of the cents issues. However, the point I'm making about the various changes in quality still stands.  

On 10/22/2021 at 8:04 PM, Malacoda said:

However, the point I'm making about the various changes in quality still stands.  

Definitely. Out of interest, did the books lead you to the date, or did the date lead you to the books?

On 10/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Definitely. Out of interest, did the books lead you to the date, or did the date lead you to the books?

Oh the date led me to the books. I've just learned how to manipulate you by making it look the other way round.  Mwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Bond Blofeld Cat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 10/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Something else (I may be flogging this to death here) is that I think you can see the ragged edge that becomes the chipping a lot more on the ECP comics, where the guillotine didn't slice every page just so.  Again here's DD from those 2 months, and you can see the side of 36 (Jan) is much less crisp than 37 (Feb).  You see this a lot on the ECP comics, often confined to just the top or bottom or side. I have no meaningful sample base for this. The value of anything I say may go down as well as up. As well as sideways. 

dd 36.jpg

dd37.jpg