• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

It still baffles me that 35 cent variants command a very significant mark-up over the more common 30 cent and everyone goes along with that fine, yet the majority of collectors still don't see the obvious correlation there that should make pence books worth even a higher percentage over their US counterparts than 35 cent over 30 cent . 

That and the fact that Pence copies were actually ran first since it was a small run then changed for the US version. At least that is what I found when researching them years ago.

8 hours ago, serling1978 said:

It still baffles me that 35 cent variants command a very significant mark-up over the more common 30 cent and everyone goes along with that fine, yet the majority of collectors still don't see the obvious correlation there that should make pence books worth even a higher percentage over their US counterparts than 35 cent over 30 cent . 

This has been discussed many times in this thread and others that I have created - it's the non-US price that puts some people off Serling. They understand 30c and 35c - it's their currency. They don't understand 9d and 8p. 'Purity' is key for many US (and UK) collectors I have found. I've tried my best to animate their interest of course but....

7 hours ago, Finhead said:

That and the fact that Pence copies were actually ran first since it was a small run then changed for the US version. At least that is what I found when researching them years ago.

Also discussed many times in this thread and I don't think there was one set printing order myself, in the early days. What evidence did you discover in your research Finhead? I've presented a lot of scenarios over the years here which could imply the contrary. For example, have you read this?:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/412313-marvel-us-price-font-variations-june-1960-~-february-1961/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-11859679

Wondering if anyone in this group has run a comparison on the various price variants according to census over the years?

I've recently picked up a high grade Eternals #2 UK price variant and noted the difference in copies of 30c (189 9.8s and 447 9.6s) vs 35c (only 2 9.8 and 4 9.6) vs UK price variants (none above 8.5).

Be interesting to see if that same mix happens across other books and may highlight the scarcity and future desirability for these books in high grade.

1 hour ago, Every Day A Story said:

Wondering if anyone in this group has run a comparison on the various price variants according to census over the years?

I've recently picked up a high grade Eternals #2 UK price variant and noted the difference in copies of 30c (189 9.8s and 447 9.6s) vs 35c (only 2 9.8 and 4 9.6) vs UK price variants (none above 8.5).

Be interesting to see if that same mix happens across other books and may highlight the scarcity and future desirability for these books in high grade.

I haven't but I think this man might be well placed to, if indeed he hasn't done so already:

@valiantman

I'd be interested in any results of course, but I don't place too great an emphasis myself on census data for pence copies and what it does or does not tell us about comparative pence scarcity. CGC is an American company and US citizens have, I suspect, been sending in their books in far greater quantities, and for far longer, than any UK citizens have. If CGC had opened an outlet at the same time in the UK as they did in the US, that actually did onsite grading, I'm confident the pence volumes would be significantly higher at this point as a result. 

It wouldn't surprise me if there were many high grade pence Eternals squirrelled away in private UK collections where the owners just aren't as excited by the prospect of sending their books across the pond. For me, a trip overseas and back is something I instinctively baulk at where my precious collectibles are concerned. Certainly on current TATs. And then there is the added expense of overseas shipping and insurance to consider, which sets overseas collectors at a disadvantage.

There is always something you can extract from data, but I don't think the playing field is level enough for the conclusions to be valid and I don't think any data on pence Eternal #2's would ever be anything other than vaguely indicative of what may exist on either side. The general - but evidentially unproven - consensus, is that UK Price Variants had a print run of between 2 and 5% of the US copies and that ratio could over time manifest in the census. In the meantime, the indicative print ratio alone should be enough to convince collectors of the comparative, likely availability of pence copies. I think it is unlikely that census data itself will ever accurately inform what may exist in the short term however, for the reasons I've stated here - and a whole host more that I haven't.

Valiantman, am I talking gibberish?

A good point. If even a few Stateside collectors, not necessarily those with the deepest pockets, decide to diversify into UKPVs (especially if they cherry-pick the most desirable examples), it will deplete the number available and drive the price up further.

This is all Marwood's fault. He should backtrack and declare that recent research has proved beyond a shadow of  doubt that the UKPVs are in fact reprints, produced 2 or 3 months after the first printing, and are therefore almost worthless. It is, after all, what some of them still choose to believe.

As a consolation, though, we still have our beloved T & P stamped (or should that be defaced?) copies. Not much chance of the Yanks muscling in on that racket.

I used to see UK price stamps as defacements back in the day, but I've developed a healthy respect for them over recent years. In fact, I'm probably one of the only collectors in England who is actually disappointed when certain books I'm looking for don't have them. Just wait until I land Brent II. You'll see what I mean, hopefully. 

Yes, I seem to recall posting one that looked like a Philip K earlier in the thread. Not to be encouraged. 

Here is a nice discreet stamp that I feel does not detract from the overall presentation of the book.

I can imagine it being applied by a mild-mannered, bespectacled clerk in his usual meticulous manner.

His counterparts at the Popular Book Centre, however, were clearly under the influence of some illicit substance, or had just returned from a prolonged lunchtime session, and set about their task with their customary wild abandon, determined to leave little if any of the original text legible.

comicAAF13.jpg

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Here is a nice discreet stamp that I feel does not detract from the overall presentation of the book.

I can imagine it being applied by a mild-mannered, bespectacled clerk in his usual meticulous manner.

His counterparts at the Popular Book Centre, however, were clearly under the influence of some illicit substance, or had just returned from a prolonged lunchtime session, and set about their task with their customary wild abandon, determined to leave little if any of the original text legible.

comicAAF13.jpg

Nice stamp Albert, although for the PBC quip to work I'd expect to see a few of their stamps on the book - wrong image my friend? hm

I received the final book I needed to complete my Marvel Thorpe & Porter Indicia Types research this week and, happily, it meant I had to rewrite half of it :eek:

I'll update The Pence Palace of Doom soon with all the new data and summary docs (which I've tarted up a bit).

As is often the case, a few things jumped out at me as I was doing it - one, relating to the 'what was printed first' discussions that I've been having with myself in this and my US Price Font Variations threads.

Take a look at these three JIM #64's:

1274745179_JourneyintoMystery649d.thumb.jpg.987c600b3419464c272475311f842ff5.jpg 836570181_JourneyintoMystery64Short10c.thumb.jpg.a8682badae92fb7afd4c7e22219052d7.jpg 1860015394_JourneyintoMystery64Tall10c.jpg.3bf9624e202e644e41a6a7b9fcd4a76a.jpg

One 9d, and two different 10c fonts. Following through the logic in my earlier posts, the absence of a standard approach 10c2.png.815e1322286334959cb62d8928eb3648.png bold font cents copy makes my theory that the printing order went 10c bold, 9d box and then some more 10c in a box theory look fairly suspect.

Returning to my T&P indicia research updates, here is the updated Type 4 page, which shows that, where a UKPV exists, the 10c copies also have T&P UK indicias:

t4.thumb.PNG.559fd57a4578286f5fdaf984f0fc96ec.PNG

Here's the indicia of one of the cents copies of the Jan 1961 JIM #64 which has the T&P indicia:

1106789285_JourneyintoMystery6410cTP-IJan61.thumb.jpg.09bf7e460f58528715a2f80046267db0.jpg

Does that not suggest that the UKPVs were printed first for this issue, the T&P indicia being present in the cents copy? Consider:

1. There is no 10c2.png.815e1322286334959cb62d8928eb3648.png style US copy in existence from which the UK 9d copy was 'scratched out' (why, who knows)
  2. Logically, the appearance of the UK indicia in the US copy suggests that it was printed second - they forgot to take it off after finishing the UKPV covers

But there are two JIM #64 cent types:

927614661_JourneyintoMystery64.PNG.005ad99fe71bb87dcb56e99e028ecb53.PNG

So what if this cents version... 1540087978_64USThincrop.PNG.d3aa1a254220d4ebe9adad7b8e62dc26.PNG ... doesn't have the T&P indicia? 

That could indicate:

1. 9d run first (with T&P indicia)
  2. 10c version run second (with T&P indicia, in error)
  3. Additional 10c version run (without)

But why would you run another set of US copies with a different US font if the preceding template was already set as cents? Maybe the presence of the T&P indicia has some other bearing that I'm missing?

Do you think I can find a copy to check though? So, any one got one of these JIM #64's: 1540087978_64USThincrop.PNG.d3aa1a254220d4ebe9adad7b8e62dc26.PNG

If it has the T&P indicia though, where does that leave us? Back to the pence being printed in the middle? Why no bold cents 'starter' though, if so?

All good fun :bigsmile:

I've updated the Pence Palace journal page with the revised dates and observations here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/4927-marvel-ukpvs-thorpe-porter-indicias-june-1960-~-november-1964/

This boy was the culprit - he had a misspelled Thorpe, so had to join JIM #60 as a Type 2. Two 2's now...

162468756_StrangeTales779dTP-COct60.thumb.jpg.2c5f9e8719bbcc667ab22fe464250510.jpg12658060_StrangeTales779dTP-IOct60.thumb.jpg.734e27e8fdba0a492ad286041b2aa9b8.jpg

He's also the 20th ever sequential Marvel UKPV - I only need one more now before I can post a photo of them all together. 

I've got me eye on one, so maybe soon...

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice stamp Albert, although for the PBC quip to work I'd expect to see a few of their stamps on the book

I was going to post, for comparison, an image of a book the PBC had really gone to town on (with a trigger warning, obviously, for those of a nervous disposition), but then I though, no, there is already too much depressing online content.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I was going to post, for comparison, an image of a book the PBC had really gone to town on (with a trigger warning, obviously, for those of a nervous disposition), but then I though, no, there is already too much depressing online content.

Post it, Albert - I bet it's a thing of beauty :cloud9:

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I was speaking in general terms, I steered clear of heavily defaced copies myself, but I have seen some ghastly examples posted here in the past.

Ah, right. I quite like them lately, the stamp riots. They're developing their own charm.

Did you read my other pontifications today Albert, on print order, indicias and the like? I feel like I'm talking to myself most days. I answer myself too, occasionally, to make sure I haven't accidentally died. 

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Did you read my other pontifications today

I did indeed, it is providing fine detail, along the lines of the physicists' quest for the Theory Of Everything.

I think you have got the last few pieces of the jigsaw trapped in a corner, and they will soon be waving a white flag.

I've done it again, gone and mixed my metaphors. You should never do that, it is a shark-infested minefield.