• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2017 at 4:00 PM, 1Cool said:

I went to a comic only Con last weekend (one of the longest running shows in the Midwest) and it's run at a local VFW hall and it sells out 20 booths each year.  They probably get 300-400 collectors with most of them being middle age men with a scattering of women with almost no kids.  The booth fees are $80 and it cost $4 to get in the door.  By the purist definition it's an actual comic convention but it only draws 300-400 people.  To bring in the thousands of people you will have to appeal to a much bigger audience then the pure comic book fans.  These same fans clammered for comic show/movie celebrities which led to bigger and bigger celebrities which led to people dressing up as comic book characters.  The modern major Con has become Halloween for comic book fans blended with a comic themed merchandise bazar but this format seems very popular based on the number of people thru the door.. 

I do see the argument that restricting people's outfit is a slippery slope.  Don't wear this or that or not entry!  But that has been going on forever in various places.  Must have a coat and tie at fancy restaurants to only collar shirts at certain golf courses.  As long as it was posted when you went to buy tickets the Cosplayers should have moved on to the next event in a couple weeks.

Cosplayers are restricted at the Harper show.

The Wizard World article says it costs !35 to get in. That must have been from a different year because it was $40 for Friday night and $55 after that. There was about 7 comic book dealers.

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

So the questions:  

Are we seeing less Comic vendors at Cons?  

Are we seeing less comic vendors due to the venues getting bigger, their tables getting more expensive and their bottom line suffers, so they are less apt to set up at these shows?  

And do we attribute bigger venues to the Hollywood and Cosplayer attendees, forcing a need for more space?

Or is the above just nonsense, vendors are still showing up, it just seems like less because of the venue size? (I don't think this is it imho)u

I think the real problem with larger cons is not the cosplayers, it's the fact that it's so difficult for actual buyers of comics to even get in the door. They have made it nearly impossible to get tickets. I have always spent around 6K+ at SDCC,but for these past four years I have not gone. How is it possible to enjoy a con if you have to pay 600.00 a night for a room,the hassle of getting in a line all night to get next year's tickets, making your 600.00 that you spent on the room pointless, yadda yadda yadda!

At Terry's show I just walk right in, there's my friends and board members there, and there's the comics ready to be bought. Easy! I'm done with larger cons.

Surely there are several people who feel the same, and who are not spending their money at the comic vendor tables.

Edited by oakman29

I rarely go to the big shows anymore. They are too crowded and I can barely walk down the aisles and usually leave spending nothing or maybe one small item I could have bought cheaper online 

On the flip side when I go to the Los Angeles Comic Convention, it is mostly old toys, comics and maybe a couple of celebs.  I rarely walk out without spending $300-400.  There is no rule you can't cosplay but since the convention gives more of a flea market vibe, no one does anyway.  

17 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

I rarely go to the big shows anymore. They are too crowded and I can barely walk down the aisles and usually leave spending nothing or maybe one small item I could have bought cheaper online 

On the flip side when I go to the Los Angeles Comic Convention, it is mostly old toys, comics and maybe a couple of celebs.  I rarely walk out without spending $300-400.  There is no rule you can't cosplay but since the convention gives more of a flea market vibe, no one does anyway.  

is that Bruce's show? Know that cat from way back...

Edited by NoMan

On 3/17/2017 at 6:23 PM, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Not according to them.  In fact, we were accused of being racist toward cosplayers.  If you can imagine such a thing.  Also, and I just learned this when reading some of the commentary..the word "Con" is derived from Cosplay.  Yes, someone actually wrote that, and worse, believed it.  Yeah, I bet that guy spends heavily on vintage material at every show.

Hey Jive, my opinion, if it is your con that you set up, you can set the rules.  I don't see how it is different from the numerous other places that have a variety of rules.

I have no issue with cosplayers.  If I'm a dealer (especially a younger dealer with smaller but growing inventory/reputation), I would welcome cosplayers.  They have zero to very little purchasing power today, but some (many?) in 5 to 10 years' time will be future buyers as they hit their late 20s/early 30s and have disposable income.  These cosplayers tend to be college-age kids, and they are creative, especially women, many of whom become collectors and loyal buyers.  Cosplayers will soon enough have steady jobs and they will finally be able to afford a $75 funny book that today they simply can't justify buying.

My problem with the big cons is booths that sell Anything other than comics, like bootlegged DVDs, t-shirts, used toys, swords, etc.. And the media "stars".  I have no use for any of those.

Edited by zosocane

I'm only three posts in on this thread and I like both the thread and the idea of a comics only show.  

No, conventions are not really conventions anymore.  When I started, there were people that made a costume the night before, or if they were really ambitious, a week before and wore it for fun, not to have pictures taken or to compete in any way.  I'm sick of the whole cosplay aspect and disgusted at the idea of professional cosplayers.  In my mind, the only professionals that wear costumes work in theme parks and movies.  I'm tired of having to dodge 9 foot long cardboard swords while checking out vendors' wares because the person_too_unaware_of_social_graces carrying it can't see out the tiny slits he made for eye holes and has no idea anyone is around him.  

My only pilgrimage to SDCC was in 2006, arguably the first big non-comic SDCC.  Video game manufacturers, toy manufacturers, television and movie studios had the lions share of the floor space.  It was cool at first, then I realized that the comics I had come for were shoved into the corner and forgotten.  

I talked with Dale Roberts in KC a few years ago and he said it best, "conventions are to kids today what malls were in the 80s," meaning that their parents throw them out at the curb and they mill around all day not really doing or buying anything.  

Show now are infested with "Conrats" as Kevin Smith might put it.  

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I think the real problem with larger cons is not the cosplayers, it's the fact that it's so difficult for actual buyers of comics to even get in the door. They have made it nearly impossible to get tickets.

But isn't that the problem.  As a comic buyer going to what you think is a comic book show- you are getting shut out because of the extra thousands of Cosplayers and Hollywood Autograph hounds.   Not saying it's good or bad.  But it seems like the main reason the cons started to exist: COMIC BOOKS, has now lost 'market share' to toys, t-shirts, koozies, mini samurai swords, aromatherapy, the latest Walking Dead victim, and Cos-players.   If a dealer is not getting someone like you who spends $6K on comics through the door, that directly affects their bottom line and willingness to come back. 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:37 PM, Red84 said:

That is not an analogous example.  Based on how you have described it, the uproar was about restricting how people could dress, not about restricting merchandise for sale.  The analogous situation would be a convention where you were not allowed in if you were not in cosplay.  That is just as destructive as the proposed alternative. 

It's a closer analogy than what you propose.  Cosplay has invaded these shows on a monstrous scale.  If they want to get together and offer ideas on different ways to attach sequins or whatever it is that cosplayers talk about with each other, let them do their own show.  As for your concept, try it.  See how many dealer tables you sell and what type of dealers they are.  I can't imagine that many comics dealers would show up, certainly not the type that I go to a show to see.  

On 3/17/2017 at 5:45 PM, Lethal_Collector said:

No, not for the last 7 years or so.  They are watered down with lame swag and cosplay is taking over.  There's some good/cool stuff sure, but they should all be renamed to culture-cons because it's not about the comics anymore that is for sure.

I get why it's like it is, its more family friendly, draws a broader niche of participants and exhibitors, etc., but it's not like it used to be #sadpanda

Jerome

I'm no sure it's more family friendly in that there are so many scantly clad/literally painted on costumes.  

Not trying to be a prude, I like the scantly clads as much as anyone but I'm not sure it fits the definition of "family friendly."  

On 3/17/2017 at 6:16 PM, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Imagine, for a minute, that you were both a serious collectibles collector AND a cos-player (yeah, I know, play along here for a minute).  A convention that focuses only on comics and other collectibles priced $50+ (right up your alley) is coming to town, and their only stipulation is that they politely ask that you leave the cosplay at home.  If you can't leave the costume at home for one day, when literally every other convention in the country is okay with you wearing it, you really need to ask yourself if you are a serious collector or not and whether you should be at this Convention or not.  Do people dress up as Batman or the Power Rangers to place bids at the Floor Session of a Heritage Auction?  

For the record, I didn't speak to a single person, attendee or vendor, that didn't appreciate the stance we took and the subsequent flak as well.  We did it for them, and they knew it.      

You should step down from hurricanes to tornados and move to Arkansas!  lol

I wish Florida was closer, I'd attend this show in a heartbeat! 

On 3/17/2017 at 7:51 PM, VintageComics said:

I wasn't invited to a wedding. I felt insulted. I didn't start a crusade and think about picketing the event.

I'd put money on the fact that the cosplayers who are interested in the material that a vintage con caters to don't have a problem leaving their costumes at home to shop at the show.

Let's not forget that some of the accoutrements on these costumes could potentially damage the very collectibles that they are there to see and buy.  Leaving the costumes at home would be a benefit at a vintage comics convention.  

6 hours ago, Bird said:

If the room is so small the cosplayers would have circled the room and then left if they had no intention of spending. Banning the posing of photos would be more effective.

You know, that is one way of doing it.

I wouldn't say that banning cosplay is any more ridiculous than having 100's of cosplayers pose in front of a person's vendor booth where they are trying to recoup their costs.

I would say there are different ways of achieving the same goal.

This is not about disliking cosplay. It's about reaching your target audience.

18 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

I'm no sure it's more family friendly in that there are so many scantly clad/literally painted on costumes.  

Not trying to be a prude, I like the scantly clads as much as anyone but I'm not sure it fits the definition of "family friendly."  

Agreed, that part isn't family friendly per se, but all the other swag is.

Jerome

On 3/17/2017 at 7:59 PM, Artboy99 said:

The cosplay is not the focus of the event, the intent of the event is to create a show/ period piece that says "this is what a comic con used to be like". Support the event as it is intended, and if that kind of show interests you then attend. If it doesn't, then don't go. The number of attendees will determine the success of the show and whether the decision was a poor one.

Are you insane?  Letting the market decide whether a business model is successful?  

It's the end times!! :ohnoez:

On 3/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, 1950's war comics said:

The last con i went to,.. i certainly did not appreciate the guy who was sellings real swords and knives being there

I've wondered about that sort of thing too, we can't bring weapons but they can sell them?  Seems kind of double edged...

On 3/17/2017 at 8:21 PM, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Yeah, we didn't have any of those.  In fact, we turned away over two dozen vendors who inquired with us over the last year about booth space.  We tried to hand-select those vendors that our attendees wanted, i.e, heavy into vintage comics, original art, toys & action figures, Retired Legos, etc.  We turned away the stained-glass makers, the t-shirt vendors, the button vendors, all the folks, who while I'm sure sell quality merchandise, are also at those larger conventions often at the expense of a comic dealer who is sitting on the waiting list trying to get in the door.  

(worship)

Please come to Arkansas....

52 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

And they clog the aisles...

bats.jpg

This is officially too much. I would be very upset if these two geniuses were laying around and clogging up aisles at a show I paid money to attend.