• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

This is officially too much. I would be very upset if these two geniuses were laying around and clogging up aisles at a show I paid money to attend.

agreed.

Clever and fun, but I also do not see any purchased comics.

18 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Agreed, that part isn't family friendly per se, but all the other swag is.

Jerome

Yeah, a lot of the stuff is family friendly, just not necessarily the costumes.  

We're going to Dallas in a couple of weeks so my son can meet Stan Lee.  I had reservations about it because Tim Curry will also be there and I worried about the Rocky Horror crowd and trying to explain it.  I'm sure it own't be bad but it was definitely a consideration and topic of conversation between me and my wife.  

20 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

This is officially too much. I would be very upset if these two geniuses were laying around and clogging up aisles at a show I paid money to attend.

There was a cosplay guy in SD lying down in SD aisles and clogging them.

He was feigning to be dead or dying or something.

I politely walked up to him and told him all the mayhem he was causing with traffic. Aisles were literally backed up for blocks because of him.

He stopped doing it.

Sometimes they are oblivious to what they are doing.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

There was a cosplay guy in SD lying down in SD aisles and clogging them.

He was feigning to be dead or dying or something.

I politely walked up to him and told him all the mayhem he was causing with traffic. Aisles were literally backed up for blocks because of him.

He stopped doing it.

Sometimes they are oblivious to what they are doing.

Ugh, being oblivious makes it worse in my opinion. Do these people really not realize that there are other people that paid money to attend these shows? Or does their sense of self-entitlement excuse them from caring?

All of these cosplay complaints are valid for a large show. Everyone seems to be ignoring that this show was in a hotel. This is not SDCC or even C2E2; it's a hotel conference room. You weren't going to have throngs of cosplayers blocking aisles. I'm actually surprised that no one has complained about the idea of paying $50 to someone who rented out a space in a hotel. He must have made a killing. 

18 hours ago, cheta42 said:

I want to a Con today, I wont mention which one.....but I live in Toronto:devil:

Anyways,

I go because I am a comic collector, and that is what I want to see.

These are the negatives for me who goes with his wife and kids and am a comic collector,

Shows being mismanaged  and make it too complicated to pay and get in with a family.

They asked us to fill in a form to buy tickets, I told them to :censored:  I just want to get in, not write an essay.

Over zealous and loud and obnoxious staff and security who are very abrasive when they shouldn't be, and very lackadaisical when they should be,  i.e pushing and yelling at families with young kids to get back in line,  letting people who are in wheel chairs to be pushed aside as other people bud in line, not letting families with young children and persons with wheel chairs easier access to enter the event, letting cosplayers use the family washroom to change and put on make-up for 30 minutes while we waited with young kids to use a secured washroom. If you are going to go to the show dressed up , do it at your parents home in the basement before leaving for the show, once again I am not casting judgement :makepoint:

I just want to see the books and not waste time being blocked in aisles by people who have never had sex,  a steady job, friends, or ever won a trophy for athletics, once again I am not judging, Just observing :preach:

Now , having said that, I do have 2 young daughters who love to see the dressed up people and toys etc.

Myself, not a fan , but the other stuff helps distract my little kids so I can get out for an hour or so and check cool books like this that Walter from Big B had ...

20170318_113618_resized.jpg

20170318_114350_resized.jpg

20170318_114456_resized.jpg

Have you been to any of the Comic focused conventions going on in Toronto?
Paradise Comics has one - its ok, TCBS has one every other month and its great for buying books. Most dealers focus on speculation books BUT you can still get a great deal. The room is a lot smaller than any Fan Expo event but its pure comics.

20 minutes ago, Red84 said:

All of these cosplay complaints are valid for a large show. Everyone seems to be ignoring that this show was in a hotel. This is not SDCC or even C2E2; it's a hotel conference room. You weren't going to have throngs of cosplayers blocking aisles. I'm actually surprised that no one has complained about the idea of paying $50 to someone who rented out a space in a hotel. He must have made a killing. 

Again, I'll preface this post so that people don't think I'm a hater by stating that I don't dislike cosplay. I love watching cosplay. Louise my wife used to cosplay.

The cosplay comparisons are valid regardless of room size IMO.

It may or may not be a problem, but when you are providing a service to a group of people, your job as an organizer is to lay the groundwork to make an event as fruitful as possible to your target audience.

You want to run a show with strippers wearing paint? Hang up an 18 years or older sign. Don't take the chance that someone with 8 year old kids is not going to show up even if the show starts at 10 PM.

IMO there is nothing wrong with an show organizer making sure he hits his target audience for both vendors and customers.

And from what I'm hearing about Elite Con there wasn't a single complaint at the show about the show.

That sounds like a successful show to me. And I'd pay multiples of that ticket price to attend a show like that. The cost becomes secondary.

Louise made a very valid point.

More wives would approve of their husbands going to a show with no cosplay. lol

Just now, Comicbookscalping said:

The problem is when shows add playboy playmates to the guest list under the guise of cosplay guests.

Even regular cosplay can be unapproved of by some spouses.

Comic collecting is one thing and besides the expenses, fairly harmless. Going to shows and people watching is an entirely different thing for some families. I know from previous experience. :angel:

25 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

Thank you all for not complaining about the Star Wars stuff at "comic conventions".

Well now that you mention it, I've had the misfortune of getting stuck behind a parade of very slow moving R2-D2s at a show last year. The throng of chubby stormtroopers following them did nothing to move things along.

21 minutes ago, Likefro said:

You know what sucks? All the Star wars stuff clogging everything up at comic conventions

Agreed.  I hate the Star Wars junk. 

All the Star Trek treasures are very nice, though and really round out a convention.

:baiting:

4 hours ago, Red84 said:

I didn't go, due to the admission fee being rather high, while being held in a hotel conference room.  

Edited by Mercury Man

4 hours ago, Comicbookscalping said:

Have you been to any of the Comic focused conventions going on in Toronto?
Paradise Comics has one - its ok, TCBS has one every other month and its great for buying books. Most dealers focus on speculation books BUT you can still get a great deal. The room is a lot smaller than any Fan Expo event but its pure comics.

I have been to both.  I miss when Paradise used to run the big shows, They were more Comic focused.

The TCBS is a good show for comics only, most of the dealers that use to  do the big cons are now doing the TCBS instead, its probably way cheaper and they probably make more money.

Walt from Big B also showed me a few other books that he has, and hasn't listed as of yet and they were pretty nice.:gossip:

49 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I didn't go, due to the admission fee being rather high, while being held in a hotel conference room.  

I went to Elite Con and enjoyed it. I did think the admission was high, but i knew that before I purchased a ticket and decided to go anyway because of what was advertised to be there....comic books

My son and I drove from CO to Wyoming to attend the Cheyenne Comic Con about a year ago.  I figured it would have a some part time dealers with maybe some interesting stuff.  There were a total of two people with comics, all of it drek.  All the other booths were foam weapons, cosplay costumes and accessories, and toy guns.  It was $75 per person to get in.  To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  I don't think they should have used the word "comic" in their advertising. 

On 3/18/2017 at 8:22 PM, Likefro said:

To be fair, some of them must buy something but I have a real hard time believing that the female cosplayers in particular are going to shows to buy bunches of silver and bronze age comics. 

Eh, maybe not silver and bronze...I fancy myself more of a Gold gal, actually. I was at the Cleveland con yesterday. So if there had been some booths displaying Gold, I would have definitely been browsing-- in my costume and all.(thumbsu Perhaps it "didn't have pockets," as people like to say, but I had my purse and was ready to use it! 

I have read the last 8 pages and some very valid, great points were brought up! I have cosplayed the past 2 years at the Cleveland con. I also appreciate collecting as a hobby and I have a little collection I am proud of, mainly gold but a mixed assortment! I personally only saw maybe 4-5 actual comic booths yesterday, (one of which had a "BUY 10, GET 20 FREE" sign on a few long boxes--heck of a way to move some books! Haha)

I suppose I just wanted to say hello and respectfully bring up that there are indeed cosplayers who enjoy collecting and aren't total jerks at shows and who would also appreciate to see more book booths!!:foryou: