• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Bernie
3 3

88 posts in this topic

Bernie  was a fixture  at  the Motor City   conventions    back  in  the late 80's  and early 90's.   Had   a few  beers  with him on more  than one  occasion. 

Always  friendly  and   approachable,  he was  still  part  fanboy  when  I knew him. 

Rest  well,  your  art  will outlive  you for  a long  long time. 

It was Bernie's art in Swamp Thing #10 that got me into this hobby, or rather stopped me buying British comics and got me into American ones, which were waaaay more interesting for the impressionable ten year old that I was when I picked up that book on a seaside trip in the early '70s.

I still think that series is incredible, and Wrightson for me has remained my favorite comic artist. I finally got round to chatting to him at a London show a few years ago (despite having numerous opportunities at all the U.S. Cons I attended when he was there). I brought that copy of Swamp Thing 10 for him to sign (and I rarely if ever get stuff signed), while telling him that it was his fault that I was such a massive comic nut. He took my little jibe with the humor in which it was intended, and was great to chat to.

Needless to say I'm gutted at this news, even though I knew he'd been ill for some time. RIP Bernie, you were great.

Edited by goldust40

Wrightson, Jones, Kaluta, Smith (below, from left).  In the early seventies, Marvel and DC comics became cool in large part owing to the spectacular art of the new post-Kirby/Ditko 'rock and roll' generation.  A Marvel zombie at the time, I nevertheless bought, read, and kept the first ten issues of Swamp Thing because the Wrightson art was so awesome.

We've lost one of the greats.  My deepest condolences to Bernie's family and friends.

studio-members-Wrightson-Jones-Kaluta-Sm

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, goldust40 said:

It was Bernie's art in Swamp Thing #10 that got me into this hobby, or rather stopped me buying British comics and got me into American ones, which were waaaay more interesting for the impressionable ten year old that I was when I picked up that book on a seaside trip in the early '70s.

I still think that series is incredible, and Wrightson for me has remained my favorite comic artist. I finally got round to chatting to him at a London show a few years ago (despite having numerous opportunities at all the U.S. Cons I attended when he was there). I brought that copy of Swamp Thing 10 for him to sign (and I rarely if ever get stuff signed), while telling him that it was his fault that I was such a massive comic nut. He took my little jibe with the humor in which it was intended, and was great to chat to.

Needless to say I'm gutted at this news, even though I knew he'd been ill for some time. RIP Bernie, you were great.

Bernie was one of those early BA artists who made us all realize that we were going to have to start taking comics seriously.... they just weren't going to be just funny books anymore. Judy and I have his prints on our walls and his T-shirts on our backs..... we love his stuff and had hoped to actually meet him soon. Ironically, I just received this cool fanzine from Andrew C just a day ago..... had thought about getting it signed :sorry: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6EZBXXW.jpg

Very sad news.

I was hoping, when the announcement was made this past January that Bernie had officially retired from art, that he would have had much more time to spend with his family and friends than he actually had.
But, in the end, whether it is 3-months or 300 years, it's probably never enough.

:sorry:

Thanks for my avatar.

Berni WrightsonA LOOK BACK073.jpg