• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current CGC slab with well/Wavy covers
2 2

101 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What??? They press your book to fix their crappy holder problems? What if you don't want your book pressed? Especially if it wasn't a problem when you sent it in. This is not acceptable to me.

No I sent this book to be pressed and slabbed ... whether they pressed it again to fix I dunno .. good thing it's not a grail or something 

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

What??? They press your book to fix their crappy holder problems? What if you don't want your book pressed? Especially if it wasn't a problem when you sent it in. This is not acceptable to me.

Good thing they're doing no such thing, then.

12 hours ago, mschmidt said:

The "creep engine" only applies to the 1st generation of CGC's newest slabs - the ones that did not have an inner well, but rather had the books floating in-between 2 mylar sheets. Those are the books that CGC have been re-holdering for free over the last year or so.

In the current version of CGC's slab (the one with an inner well), there's no more pressure on the book than there was in the previous generation holder - there's no creep engine at work in those slabs.

Actually, the final determiner of whether a creep-engine effect has occurred is not technically what generation of holder the book has resided in but whether the book, at the time of slabbing, was wave-free, and after some measure of time later was found to have developed the waviness in question.  Again, no older CGC slabs, no CBCS slabs and no PGX slabs have been associated with this anomaly as far as I know.

10 hours ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:

Actually, the final determiner of whether a creep-engine effect has occurred is not technically what generation of holder the book has resided in but whether the book, at the time of slabbing, was wave-free, and after some measure of time later was found to have developed the waviness in question.  Again, no older CGC slabs, no CBCS slabs and no PGX slabs have been associated with this anomaly as far as I know.

But the creep engine idea was predicted on the fact that the old new slabs applied pressure mainly on the edges of the book to hold the book in place.  This edge pressure with a lack of center pressure, in addition to the lose mylar sheets was causing the waves. The idea was 100% built around the idea of pressure.  The new new case does not apply any pressure to the books so the theory does not apply here.

I could see an inner well that was too small, or sealed incorrectly causing a wave, but that is a different issue, not the creep engine effect. It has been said that the new inner well are smaller, and that may be an issue.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, drotto said:

But the creep engine idea was predicted on the fact that the old new slabs applied pressure mainly on the edges of the book to hold the book in place.  This edge pressure with a lack of center pressure, in addition to the lose mylar sheets was causing the waves. The idea was 100% built around the idea of pressure.  The new new case does not apply any pressure to the books so the theory does not apply here.

I could see an inner well that was too small, or sealed incorrectly causing a wave, but that is a different issue, not the creep engine effect. It has been said that the new inner well are smaller, and that may be an issue.

I accept what you're saying about the newest slab not having the construction that is associated with the creep engine.  In my particular example, here's what I'm working with...a newest generation of slab (having a well) containing a book that is exhibiting the characteristic waviness associated with the creep engine AND the grader's notes NOT mentioning any waviness whatsoever.  This would lead one to at least consider that the waviness was not present when the book was graded and slabbed, and therefore occurred afterward while the book remained incased.  Could a too-small well be the cause?  Certainly, but that situation has never come up before as far as I know.  You'd think a too-small well would be patently obvious right when the book was put into it.  My next move is obviously to contact CGC and see if this is something that has come up before and if they will re-slab with a larger-welled case.

I appreciate the input that everyone has provided, I'm glad we have a forum like this to hash these things out.

I recently received a book that was submitted for pressing also that came back with waves in the slab that absolutely did not have waves prior to submitting. Will try to post pics later. It was for a magazine sized comic.

15 hours ago, feder241 said:

I recently received a book that was submitted for pressing also that came back with waves in the slab that absolutely did not have waves prior to submitting. Will try to post pics later. It was for a magazine sized comic.

If it was recent then I assume the slab is the current with-well type.  If I may ask, does there seem to be adequate space in the well for the book, or does it seem like (as is the case with mine) the well is just too narrow and the book may be being squeezed?

Just now, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Was this book pressed ? 

Hi Paddy, I'm not sure how I would know if it was.  CGC slabs do not (evidently) disclose if books encased in them have been pressed, and I've only had the book for a few weeks.  The grader's notes also don't mention it.

1 minute ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:

Hi Paddy, I'm not sure how I would know if it was.  CGC slabs do not (evidently) disclose if books encased in them have been pressed, and I've only had the book for a few weeks.  The grader's notes also don't mention it.

Oh ok ...so you never pressed it 

2 minutes ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Only had the one bad wavy book thus far .. it was pressed 

I couldn't tell from your scans if your book seems to be squeezed into its slab.  Does the well seem too narrow for your book also? 

I got a response from CGC and they told me to send my book back to them and write on the Re-Holder Submission Form "Back Cover Waves".  Now, what they didn't say is that this is a mistake that they are correcting.  Right at the moment I'm actually not sure whether they are treating this as addressing a problem caused by a too-small well, or are they just basically saying "the guy's not happy with his slab so tell him to send it in and get it re-slabbed".  Problem is, if it's the latter they may very well put the book into a slab with the exact same size well and the squeezing problem is not resolved.

10 hours ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:

I couldn't tell from your scans if your book seems to be squeezed into its slab.  Does the well seem too narrow for your book also? 

I got a response from CGC and they told me to send my book back to them and write on the Re-Holder Submission Form "Back Cover Waves".  Now, what they didn't say is that this is a mistake that they are correcting.  Right at the moment I'm actually not sure whether they are treating this as addressing a problem caused by a too-small well, or are they just basically saying "the guy's not happy with his slab so tell him to send it in and get it re-slabbed".  Problem is, if it's the latter they may very well put the book into a slab with the exact same size well and the squeezing problem is not resolved.

the inner well did seem tight  in there ... yea I did same thing .. put please fix waves on reholder sub form Attn : customer service - 

it came back looking a bit better but I could still find the waves slightly when I looked 

took about 2 weeks 

Keep your receipt from shipping - you'll get that back too 

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

21 hours ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:

If it was recent then I assume the slab is the current with-well type.  If I may ask, does there seem to be adequate space in the well for the book, or does it seem like (as is the case with mine) the well is just too narrow and the book may be being squeezed?

It's hard to tell. Here are some pics:

IMG_7274.JPG

IMG_7275.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG