• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current CGC slab with well/Wavy covers
2 2

101 posts in this topic

Explain to me why this design would cause any waves though?  With the pressure case it seemed like we had a good explanation. With the current case I know that outer case is much stiffer, and sealed more tightly, but the basic shell and inner well setup is not different then generation two cases. On the surface there is no reason it should be causing waves.  I have at least 25 books in the new case with no issues.

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

Explain to me why this design would cause any waves though?  With the pressure case it seemed like we had a good explanation. With the current case I know that outer case is much stiffer, and sealed more tightly, but the basic shell and inner well setup is not different then generation two cases. On the surface there is no reason it should be causing waves.  I have at least 25 books in the new case with no issues.

Just spitballin', but it may be that the outer well is positioned too closely to the inner well, just like the old/new case, where the outer well was positioned right on top of those inner sheets.  What I recall about the prism effect is that it is the two sheets of plastic meeting, which in the old cases, you could stick a piece a paper in the edges and separate the plastic and temporarily get rid of it.  IIRC the new/new cases are pretty concave on the outer well...., and sealed on the edges for an even tighter bond. 2c

So maybe the cause is the another side effect of the the sealed edges and concave design.

Edited by lizards2

Or it COULD BE that the book had waves when sent to sent to CGC. That the slab HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.....

here are the grading notes....

Grader Notes:multiple bend spine breaks color
small, multiple tear left bottom of front cover

6 hours ago, Tony S said:

Or it COULD BE that the book had waves when sent to sent to CGC. That the slab HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.....

I have had this though also.  A certain percentage of books are wavy.  In some it may be a defect, and in some moderns they just come that way, lay new books down on a table and check it out sometime. To see this someone would have to look at the number of raw books with waves vs. number in slabs with waves (all companies slabs), and see if the number is similar.  I would bet the waves in cases is lower due to pressing, but not all books are pressed, but overall not that different.

On 2017-03-26 at 11:00 PM, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:
On 2017-03-26 at 4:56 AM, Mio said:

Sealing the edges was a bad idea. Any keeper books of mine come out of the new holder, as hard as it is to do.

Newton rings continue to be an unsightly problem.

They sure are; at this point I think CGC should just throw in the towel and go back to the old design.  They could simply expand the size of the well to what it was two designs ago and use materials in the sleeve and slab that don't interact and cause visible effects.

The latest slab that you have does not cause waviness to my knowledge. I've had several hundred books slabbed since the latest change.

There is no pressure exerted on the book so no forces that would cause a wave.

From what my experience tells me, it's more likely that your book has a wave in it pre slabbing and that is what you are seeing.

8 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

These weren't here when slabbed ...

F9216BB0-E52B-45B6-85C8-F9A3D91D7ACF.jpg

Which inner well was used?  The molded one with the visible side walls or the edge sealed one which is just two pieces seal together.

7 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

This book was sent back and waves fixed but they're still slightly visible ... think it was pooched while pressing 

It looks like someone cracked the top edge and took a leak into it.  2c

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:40 AM, Tony S said:

So, if anything the grader's notes would tend to discount your hypothesis, as they make no mention of the waviness.  But I do appreciate your forking over the 5 bucks, that was pretty cool of you.  Maybe you could have said, "Hey Dr. Fate, you cheapy , why don't you spend the 5 bucks and check the grader's notes?"  ;o)

Edited by Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, drotto said:

Because if the book is sealed too tightly in the Mylar because it has to be squeezed into a smaller well (and the wells are smaller in these newest cases, I measured it, 6 13/16th in. width by 10 1/4 height in the new case versus 6 15/16th in. width by 10 5/16th height in the previous case, pic included for example), there would be added pressure on the book.  I know the difference is slight, but it is certainly enough to as least be a possible cause.

s-lpp1600.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

These weren't here when slabbed ...

F9216BB0-E52B-45B6-85C8-F9A3D91D7ACF.jpg

Exactly, this is the same anomaly mine is exhibiting, although nowhere near as severe as yours.  There are lots of other examples if one takes some time and does some research, and the most incriminating indication that there's something going on is that, AFAIK, this problem has ONLY been associated with this particular type of slab.

It is called the "creep engine" and is explained here...https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/06/17/cgc-new-case-debate-explained/

On 3/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, entalmighty1 said:

I'd just go ahead and call CGC and tell them you're sending it back.  Why risk doing permanent damage to the book when they'll reslab it for free?

Do they reslab any book from that period of time or do you need to show it is developing issues?

8 hours ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:

Exactly, this is the same anomaly mine is exhibiting, although nowhere near as severe as yours.  There are lots of other examples if one takes some time and does some research, and the most incriminating indication that there's something going on is that, AFAIK, this problem has ONLY been associated with this particular type of slab.

It is called the "creep engine" and is explained here...https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/06/17/cgc-new-case-debate-explained/

The "creep engine" only applies to the 1st generation of CGC's newest slabs - the ones that did not have an inner well, but rather had the books floating in-between 2 mylar sheets. Those are the books that CGC have been re-holdering for free over the last year or so.

In the current version of CGC's slab (the one with an inner well), there's no more pressure on the book than there was in the previous generation holder - there's no creep engine at work in those slabs.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:29 AM, 1Cool said:

I'm surprised we have not heard of anyone hurting themselves yet.  The way the slab snaps apart and shatters you could easier get cut on the sharp edges.

Who is going to admit that around here and unleash a firestorm upon themselves?

On 3/24/2017 at 5:59 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Yup 

sent a book back to CGC had waves .... when it came back it still had slight waves to it ... 

I think they pooched it while pressing it

What??? They press your book to fix their crappy holder problems? What if you don't want your book pressed? Especially if it wasn't a problem when you sent it in. This is not acceptable to me.