• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current CGC slab with well/Wavy covers
2 2

101 posts in this topic

Current CGC slab with well/Wavy covers

I just received a lovely Journey Into Mystery #90 CGC 8.0 certified on 11/07/2016 and since it was slabbed after June 2016 it has the revamped holder with the well.  It exhibits the telltale waviness on the back (horizontal and a few vertical) that has been characteristically seen in books encased in the previous type slab (April-June 2016), not severe at all, but noticeable.

Has anyone else experienced this with current (newest) CGC holders?  I'm wondering what the devil could be causing it--are the wells too constricting, or the Mylar sleeves too tight?  Of course I would rather not have to crack it out, but it's a relatively scarce book in higher grades so of course I'd like it keep it as undisturbed as possible.

RADAF07620161122_122427.jpg

The waviness refuses to show up on any pic I can take.  The book has to be held at a certain angle to see it, which if you have experience with waviness in a slab you'll understand what I mean.  Anyway, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone.  I'm interested in getting input from others who may have had a similar experience with the newest GCG holders.  I included a pic to show the type of slab I'm referring to.

Edited by Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet

2 hours ago, Gaard said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I crack all mine out of the slabs before they are ruined. 2c

Do you need a special tool with these new slabs?

I just use a painter's tool and my fingers with all slabs.  However, the new slabs are a biatch to get the books out of - just terrible.

s-l300.jpg

On 2017-03-23 at 3:15 PM, lizards2 said:

I just use a painter's tool and my fingers with all slabs.  However, the new slabs are a biatch to get the books out of - just terrible.

s-l300.jpg

Yea the old ones are a cake walk compared to cracking new ones ... they don't come out cleanly 

3 minutes ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:
On 3/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, lizards2 said:

s-l300.jpg

Yea the old ones are a cake walk compared to cracking new ones ... they don't come out cleanly 

Yeah - I end up with lots of shattered pieces.  The old ones came out clean 95% of the time, and the outer wells could be reused to protect stuff.  Now with the new slabs, it is just a bunch of broken pieces.

I'm surprised we have not heard of anyone hurting themselves yet.  The way the slab snaps apart and shatters you could easier get cut on the sharp edges.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I'm surprised we have not heard of anyone hurting themselves yet.  The way the slab snaps apart and shatters you could easier get cut on the sharp edges.

Or a large sharp triangle of plastic lodged in your eye - Freddy Wertham would be proud! 

I wear glasses when I pop those suckers. :frown:r

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, entalmighty1 said:

I'd just go ahead and call CGC and tell them you're sending it back.  Why risk doing permanent damage to the book when they'll reslab it for free?

Well, of course I'd be concerned that they would simply put it in the same type of holder that may be causing the anomaly.

I appreciate the input, sad to see I'm not the only one having this problem with this particular type of slab.  Can't understand why they just don't go back to two designs ago and leave it at that.  I like how sturdy the new holders are, but the same material could simply be used in constructing innocuous slabs.

17 hours ago, Mio said:

Sealing the edges was a bad idea. Any keeper books of mine come out of the new holder, as hard as it is to do.

Newton rings continue to be an unsightly problem.

They sure are; at this point I think CGC should just throw in the towel and go back to the old design.  They could simply expand the size of the well to what it was two designs ago and use materials in the sleeve and slab that don't interact and cause visible effects.