• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate sale with original art - Wantagh/Long Island NY

10 posts in this topic

Sharing this for anyone in the area - looks like some great original art available at this sale.  Wonder what the story behind the sale is - bio mentions 50 year collection that is being sold.  Seems like an online house would return more to the original owner.  Might be opportunity for someone from the board to pick up some great stuff!  i did a search on board for the location listed (Wantagh) and didn't see anything, so hopefully this isn't already part of another thread.

https://www.estatesales.net/NY/Wantagh/11793/1469607?highlight=Comic+comic

On April 5, 2017 at 7:38 AM, westerberg14 said:

Sharing this for anyone in the area - looks like some great original art available at this sale.  Wonder what the story behind the sale is - bio mentions 50 year collection that is being sold.  Seems like an online house would return more to the original owner.  Might be opportunity for someone from the board to pick up some great stuff!  i did a search on board for the location listed (Wantagh) and didn't see anything, so hopefully this isn't already part of another thread.

https://www.estatesales.net/NY/Wantagh/11793/1469607?highlight=Comic+comic

Looks like someone got it.

2 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Looks like someone got it.

Honestly, I'm not exactly surprised.  If he sold it for the $25,000 offer he claimed he had received, then it works out to about $80 a page.  It'll be a lot of work, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone could hustle out $100-$125 a page on a flip.  That works out to about $38,750.  A cool $14,000 profit, assuming no overhead costs (like having to pay auction fees etc).  I wouldn't be shocked if you told me Snyder bought this, as it is low cost stuff he can put up on his site and move/haul with him to other cons.  

36 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Honestly, I'm not exactly surprised.  If he sold it for the $25,000 offer he claimed he had received, then it works out to about $80 a page.  It'll be a lot of work, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone could hustle out $100-$125 a page on a flip.  That works out to about $38,750.  A cool $14,000 profit, assuming no overhead costs (like having to pay auction fees etc).  I wouldn't be shocked if you told me Snyder bought this, as it is low cost stuff he can put up on his site and move/haul with him to other cons.  

Hah--didn't see this and posted it in the other thread that I thought Anthony was a possible buyer too

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

I disagree, at least base on what I saw and know. They had pages they were offering for $10, and I myself saw nothing of great interest in what was pictured. So for every $10 page another needs to be $150 to break even. That was some rough art! And yes, this is right up Anthony's alley! I considered only buying in order to trade to Anthony! 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I disagree, at least base on what I saw and know. They had pages they were offering for $10, and I myself saw nothing of great interest in what was pictured. So for every $10 page another needs to be $150 to break even. That was some rough art! And yes, this is right up Anthony's alley! I considered only buying in order to trade to Anthony! 

Poor Anthony - he's developing a reputation as the Sanford & Son of Junk Art. :/

I found preliminary pieces for two of my commissions on Anthony's page. Both were from deceased artists (Nick Cardy and Giordano). I'd never thought to ask about prelims from the artist. 

Anyway, I'm glad he's doing this since I was glad to get them. The prelims are in the Additional Images section. Click to see.

JLA by Giordano (click to see prelim in Additional Images)

JLA by Dick Giordano (click to see prelim)

and (one of my favorites) Bat Lash by Nick Cardy (click to see prelim in Additional Images)

Bat Lash by Nick Cardy (click to see prelim)

On 4/7/2017 at 6:40 PM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Poor Anthony - he's developing a reputation as the Sanford & Son of Junk Art. :/

well, he is no fool and plays the long game. I cannot see the value of owning so much but he is the businessman. not me.

In any event, he bought the collection outright!

When i went to look at the collection in person, many items were already sold (Oh well, I should have gone earlier I guess). What I did see though was a nice stack of 350-800 dollar pages. I dont know how much he sold before hand, but most of the pages I saw on the listing were already gone (even the commons). From the talk around the room and from how much was already gone, I'm thinking Anthony actually did pretty well with this buy. I know I bought a few pieces myself of decent stuff.