• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden messages in X-Men Gold #1 (?)
1 1

224 posts in this topic

This has been Marvel's only statement on the issue so far:

“The mentioned artwork in X-Men Gold #1 was inserted without knowledge behind its reported meanings. These implied references do not reflect the views of the writer, editors or anyone else at Marvel and are in direct opposition of the inclusiveness of Marvel Comics and what the X-Men have stood for since their creation. This artwork will be removed from subsequent printings, digital versions, and trade paperbacks and disciplinary action is being taken.”

Given that this all came to light over the weekend and mainstream press hasn't picked it up thus far, this could be it, or there could be more coming if it catches fire in the mainstream national news.  Meanwhile speculators are going gaga over the book, since they are expecting a recall (which Marvel doesn't mention at this point), so either way, Marvel is making money.

G. Willow Wilson (also a Muslim and writer of Ms. Marvel) had her own take on the controversy:

"This is all to say that Ardian Syaf can keep his garbage philosophy. He has committed career suicide; he will rapidly become irrelevant. But his nonsense will continue to affect the scant handful of Muslims who have managed to carve out careers in comics. From what I can deduce off of Facebook, it appears he is trying to claim the Charlie Hebdo defense…ie, he doesn’t mean anything by it; we just don’t understand the nuance and subtly of the local bigotry. Much good may it do him. Goodbye, Ardian Syaf. We hardly knew ye, which is just as well."

Edited by Doc McCoy
Added speculator information.

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

The sad reality is that this will probably be a more sought after book just because of the controversy. As the saying goes no such thing as bad promotion. I just wonder if Stan Lee will sign this at conventions 

Those JSC variants are probably going to sky rocket now............

20 minutes ago, combiner11 said:

Too bad he couldn't separate his work from his political/religious life. 

His art looks great, that's why I bought a copy. :cry:

This kind of struck a note with me, and to play the angels advocate I ask...... What is his work ?  What is the work world ?  Some place where everyone is the same ? I mean, is it some kind of white bread generic imaginary place where no one is to be reminded of differences or the real world outside ?  Why is that?  I mean, there ARE muslims in the world, and one of them might wear a t-shirt that says something like that.  People wear shirts that say all kinds of stuff.  Is the object of comic books to make sure to tell an imaginary story that no one on earth could possibly be offended by....over and over and over again. 

uh oh......   we offended all the hillbillys with this cover.  Why don't publishers take the position that SOME hillbillys can be bad guys and the ones on the cover of this Cap book are a few of them ? 

captain america 11.jpg

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

The sad reality is that this will probably be a more sought after book just because of the controversy. As the saying goes no such thing as bad promotion. I just wonder if Stan Lee will sign this at conventions 

Unless there is a baby in a microwave, I could care less about those "controversial" issues. And frankly, the majority of the market agrees.

39 minutes ago, Senormac said:

This kind of struck a note with me, and to play the angels advocate I ask...... What is his work ?  What is the work world ?  Some place where everyone is the same ? I mean, is it some kind of white bread generic imaginary place where no one is to be reminded of differences or the real world outside ?  Why is that?  I mean, there ARE muslims in the world, and one of them might wear a t-shirt that says something like that.  People wear shirts that say all kinds of stuff.  Is the object of comic books to make sure to tell an imaginary story that no one on earth could possibly be offended by....over and over and over again. 

uh oh......   we offended all the hillbillys with this cover.  Why don't publishers take the position that SOME hillbillys can be bad guys and the ones on the cover of this Cap book are a few of them ? 

captain america 11.jpg

Stupid comparison. 

Hillbillys aren't a worldwide movement by the tens of thousands, supported by millions, in the name of Hillbillys blowing up non-Hillbillys just for being non-Hillbillys - and so any messages in comics that SUPPORT radical hillbilly ideas and movements are an ignorant and asinine comparison. Better comparison - go find a comic from the 40's with messages that supported the cause of Nazism. 

Wilson said it perfectly. 

48 minutes ago, Senormac said:

captain america 11.jpg

I wonder if this was the other way around how it would play out,, if there was some hidden message insinuating anti-islam sentiments. Im pretty sure I know the answer but didnt wanna play that card until you showed up with this dumb comparison

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

Just forget it, you have a right to defend, but you've struck a note as well

How is it "white bread" to take offense at something like this js

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

This kind of struck a note with me, and to play the angels advocate I ask...... What is his work ?  What is the work world ?  Some place where everyone is the same ? I mean, is it some kind of white bread generic imaginary place where no one is to be reminded of differences or the real world outside ?  Why is that?

I can't speak for everyone but from where I was raised, I have been taught that if you're  hired to do a certain job, you do that job best you can without compromising the company's name. A person is being paid for a job to do, not make a mockery of things.  If this means being a mindless drone during work time, then so be it, you leave your feelings outside the company door.

Then after work/contract you can basically do whatever you want.  Hey if you want to run around naked in Times Square or hand out religious pamphlet, so be it, more power to you man.

Full disclosure: I used to belong to a religious group that ones in a while I volunteer to stand at malls and give out pamphlets. At work, they know this and yet I don't talk about it. I respect their religion and they respect mine. After work, we sometimes go out and have some beers and complain about the lazy supervisor :tink:

I dont think that people fully understand what a great privilege it is for a person of talent (or lack of in this instance) to contribute to one of the (if not THE) biggest comic book publisher of our time. This highly sought after profession, merging creative skill with expressionism in the free world comes with great responsibility. One that said artist failed to recognize and undeniably mocked

There are many many artists that would love to have the opportunity that this man had. Im pretty sure he knew this going in.

Lets hope that Marvel does the right thing here

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

Stupid comparison. 

Hillbillys aren't a worldwide movement by the tens of thousands, supported by millions, in the name of Hillbillys blowing up non-Hillbillys just for being non-Hillbillys - and so any messages in comics that SUPPORT radical hillbilly ideas and movements are an ignorant and asinine comparison. Better comparison - go find a comic from the 40's with messages that supported the cause of Nazism. 

Wilson said it perfectly. 

You misunderstand my intention.  If a guy in the story (or on the cover) is wearing a shirt with a slogan that has enough power to .....what?  offend?  recruit volunteers? make readers choose a side (pro or con)?  hate somebody ? then that is power indeed and if MARVEL had any cajones they would pick a side in this world and move readers to support with depictions of their heros defending AMERICA, standing up for righteousness, and yea....kicking butt on evil in the world, just like that old Cap book.  They used to do it.  During the war.  The Nazi's, the Japs, the Chinese and others were depicted as being defeated by their slew of tight wearing good doers. 

There is another thread  about MARVELS falling sales.  Maybe they would improve if MARVEL would give readers a good long dose of their heroes actually standing up for something.

Edited by Senormac
thread crossover statement doh

It's okay for the writer to bring his political views into a storyline but not for an artist?

The guy made reference to his religions sacred text. Boo hoo. What an outrage. The WWE subverts one of the most sacred Biblical text, John 3-16, and people eat it up.

He did something that offended people. Kind of like when Simon and Kirby were offending German Americans back before the USofA entered the war?

Do I agree with what he said? No, but I don't understand the hatred towards him.  This is America, where people have the right to unpopular opinions.

Most Americans wouldn't even realize that 212 means December 2, as we write it 12-2.   Before you are outraged about a Koran verse about Muslems not being friends with Jews, go read the New Testament where Jesus is berated for helping a non-Jew., or early Christian discussions over if the words of Jesus were for all or just for Jews.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Its the cornerstone of Free speech. Without it, America joins the League of Lesser Nations.

Edited by shadroch