• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden messages in X-Men Gold #1 (?)
1 1

224 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

For reals 

The articles in the thread don't say a lot of info on the indonesia "situation" if it is just a matter of blasphemy, then it IS a head scratcher: the freedom of speech vs freedom of speech, and this artist is the only one that I see that is wanting to take away freedom. The Governor can't please everybody.

HOW DARE the governor say what he wanted ok now lemme say what I want in this X Men book-

2 hours ago, kav said:
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: Do you even understand how the specific references made by the artist are connected? Did you bother to actually research any of the backstory or did you just start blindly spouting off as usual?

I did.  But apparently you did not.

Nobody who understood what was being referenced would have posted "text advocating eternal enemy status and all that entails for jews and christians" or "But i doubt someone would put a hidden message not to take Jews as advisors that seems like something not worth ranting about.  The other meaning makes sense, in a hidden rant."

The (Chinese Christian) Governor of Jakarta was running for re-election. His (Muslim) opponents claimed that QS 5:51 meant that Muslims shouldn't vote for Christians or Jews to be their leaders. The Governor claimed they were twisting the meaning of the passage for their personal benefit. His opponents accused him of blasphemy for insulting the Quran, rather than questioning their tactics, which resulted in a big rally on December 2 (or 2/12 in backwardsland).

The artist decided to join the rally and later reference the key numbers as well as taking some (somewhat) subtle visual shots at the Jewish leader of the X-Men in X-Men Gold 1, because he was dumb enough to buy what the insufficiently_thoughtful_person politicians were selling.

Ultimately, it's just another case of politicians using religion to try to gain an advantage in an election. zzz

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Nobody who understood what was being referenced would have posted "text advocating eternal enemy status and all that entails for jews and christians" or "But i doubt someone would put a hidden message not to take Jews as advisors that seems like something not worth ranting about.  The other meaning makes sense, in a hidden rant."

The (Chinese Christian) Governor of Jakarta was running for re-election. His (Muslim) opponents claimed that QS 5:51 meant that Muslims shouldn't vote for Christians or Jews to be their leaders. The Governor claimed they were twisting the meaning of the passage for their personal benefit. His opponents accused him of blasphemy for insulting the Quran, rather than questioning their tactics, which resulted in a big rally on December 2 (or 2/12 in backwardsland).

The artist decided to join the rally and later reference the key numbers as well as taking some (somewhat) subtle visual shots at the Jewish leader of the X-Men in X-Men Gold 1, because he was dumb enough to buy what the insufficiently_thoughtful_person politicians were selling.

Ultimately, it's just another case of politicians using religion to try to gain an advantage in an election. zzz

THANKS I'll take that with a grain of salt; I was trying to look at it as a big picture and that filled in some of the grey area. Like I was stating, I know the artist must be very passinonate, but the my understanding was lost on his attempt to inform me. No Worries. As long as he accomplishes something you know good or bad, he'll feel that sense of accomplishment. While I disagree with his method, it's a waiting time frame to see what becomes of it all.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Thanks professor

AHH when I first got on these boards, I mentioned I was going to buy all the Seinfeld seasons. I'm glad I did ;) I was too young to enjoy it as a kid and no one would watch it with me. "Wellll, Hellloooo....!!!" good times

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

AHH when I first got on these boards, I mentioned I was going to buy all the Seinfeld seasons. I'm glad I did ;) I was too young to enjoy it as a kid and no one would watch it with me. "Wellll, Hellloooo....!!!" good times

I'M NOT GONNA LOOK UP IF YOU'RE GONNA USE THAT STUPID VOICE!!!!

Just now, kav said:

I'M NOT GONNA LOOK UP IF YOU'RE GONNA USE THAT STUPID VOICE!!!!

so were not doing that anymore? okay

ha

I went through all the seasons in about 2 weeks is all and haven't watched it since, I'll go through them again in the future to remember better; that series finale ruined going through them again too soon :( 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

so were not doing that anymore? okay

ha

I went through all the seasons in about 2 weeks is all and haven't watched it since, I'll go through them again in the future to remember better; that series finale ruined going through them again too soon :( 

I'm not and never was a huge Seinfeld fan, but what I most appreciate about the show is the genius of the ending. The main characters had really not advanced their lives at all since the first episode. All they accomplished was causing misery for others and the results were paraded in front of them. There was no wedding or anything like that, unlike so many other series finales. They all just ended up in jail at the end, with George and Jerry having the same conversation as they did at the beginning of the first episode.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

It's okay for the writer to bring his political views into a storyline but not for an artist?

Not in a mainstream book. Certainly not intentionally.

The guy made reference to his religions sacred text. Boo hoo. What an outrage.

It is an outrage when you intentionally quote a verse which calls for a certain sect to dismiss other religions. In contrast, Charlie Hebdo contributors, Theo van Gogh and Salman Rushdie all paid, most with their lives, for the same freedom of speech you and I take for granted, having their lives cut short by barbaric Islamic fanatics 

He did something that offended people. Kind of like when Simon and Kirby were offending German Americans back before the USofA entered the war?

OK stop. youre giving me a headache

Do I agree with what he said?

Yes. You clearly do.

Before you are outraged about a Koran verse about Muslems not being friends with Jews

No ones outraged about that.

Like.

I dont like you personally regardless of your beliefs, but Im not gonna go write about it in a mainstream comic. 

And again, he wasnt saying "Muslims are not friends with jews" he quoted a verse that calls for Muslims to not trust Jews & Christians and further singled out Kitty Pride as an example

Im sure youre aware that everything you wrote is incorrect. But unless someone rectifies it, some insufficiently_thoughtful_person may actually believe it to be true

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

As far as comparing a religious text to something from nambla, that's just kav being kav. Take it for whatever its worth.

Wait.. Didnt you say that one can express themselves freely, but now youre telling us to not give credibility to another?

9 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Everyone deserves a second chance unless they commit the most heinous crimes, which this is not.

The Bible and other religious text preches forgiveness after all.

I agree he was temporarily exhausted by his cause, which is understandable; love your neighbor, treat them how you'd want to be treated. 

32 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Everyone deserves a second chance unless they commit the most heinous crimes, which this is not.

The Bible and other religious text preches forgiveness after all.

What if he isn't sorry and would probably do it again?

I don't think he'd do it again but reading his texts I don't see him being sorry at all.

13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Going to watch Better Call Saul now,  kids are in bed. Goodnight all blasphemers.9_9

Sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sugartown!