• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Take off the Marvel glasses, and think it through (I read your Flash post in the other thread - always a competition).

He must not be seeing it as a competition if he even admits he likes the films. From that comment, he is suggesting to focus on fresh stories versus targeting one movie having to help build out the next story. Sometimes at the sacrifice of the movie you seeing finally becoming clear.

I love these movies too. But can step back and appreciate the comment intent without it becoming a genre attack.

If it's not about competition, why would he even care? Just make great movies & let the audience appreciate what they enjoy.

In fact, it might be the success of Star Wars & Marvel that's encouraged him to take up the Avatar mantle again. Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition.

Edited by chezmtghut

Just now, chezmtghut said:

If it's not about competition, why would he even care? Just make great movies & let the audience appreciate what they enjoy.

Let's take a look at the original statement, and what his intent was for making this. Though the article headline was also meant to spark discussion and attention, as there was a higher topic.

IndieWire: James Cameron Hopes for ‘Avengers’ Fatigue: ‘There Are Other Stories To Tell’ In Sci-Fi

Promoting his new docuseries "AMC Visionaries: James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction," the filmmaker also shared more detail about the next four "Avatar" films.

As it appears that this chapter of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is coming to an end with “Avengers: Infinity War,” sci-fi aficionado James Cameron says that’s probably for the best.

The man behind legendary sci-fi franchises such as “Terminator” and “Avatar” told reporters on Saturday that he’s a fan of the “Avengers” movies, but he fears that they have dominated too much of the genre as of late.

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

In my opinion in reading the piece, his concern was the Sci-Fi genre (something he has substantially contributed to) was being dominated now by expectations of franchise-based superhero films. Is he lying?

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Let's take a look at the original statement, and what his intent was for making this. Though the article headline was also meant to spark discussion and attention, as there was a higher topic.

IndieWire: James Cameron Hopes for ‘Avengers’ Fatigue: ‘There Are Other Stories To Tell’ In Sci-Fi

In my opinion in reading the piece, his concern was the Sci-Fi genre (something he has substantially contributed to) was being dominated now by expectations of franchise-based superhero films. Is he lying?

I like to watch a bit of everything but I'll admit that I mainly go to Superhero films these days. Still, would you want the Superhero genre to flop? The only reason we have 22+ MCU films is because they're doing well. Would you prefer to have gotten 5 - 10 mediocre films reminiscent of the 90's instead, regularly rebooting the franchise? Other studios just need to raise the bar on what they put out there. If a great Sci-Fi film comes out, people will flock to it.

I think he's "angry" that Marvel makes all of the money. That's what happens when you have a deep, connected, universe with a lot of good-to-great films. It builds customer bases from multiple angles. Loyalty is earned.

There's no loyalty in one-off Sci-Fi flicks. There's nothing earned before to payoff from. Make a great movie and, as mentioned before me, it will still make money. Was Interstellar financially successful? Despite being very long, it's a great movie.

16 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I like to watch a bit of everything but I'll admit that I mainly go to Superhero films these days. Still, would you want the Superhero genre to flop? The only reason we have 22+ MCU films is because they're doing well. Would you prefer to have gotten 5 - 10 mediocre films reminiscent of the 90's instead, regularly rebooting the franchise? Other studios just need to raise the bar on what they put out there. If a great Sci-Fi film comes out, people will flock to it.

Why of course I enjoy many of the superhero films. Even those that others may feel are mediocre.

It's just an industry leader's opinion based on his decades of contributions to the genre what he feels will move the ball forward. I think he earned some commentary time with what he has achieved professionally. It doesn't mean he is completely right. Nor did he attack Marvel movies outright as being bad, but rather noted 'Not that I don’t love the movies'. Right?

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

"The Wandering Earth" sounds awesome--a future version of Earth's sun is dying, so they try to move Earth to Alpha Centauri.  Wonder if it's cheesy by our standards?  Never seen a Chinese movie.

That and Wolf Warrior I want to give a try. They seem to rave over the two, which are also fairly recent.

I see Wandering Earth is on Netflix.  The trailer doesn't look horrible, but a little over the top.  No worse than Armageddon or The Day After Tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Why of course I enjoy many of the superhero films. Even those that others may feel are mediocre.

It's just an industry leader's opinion based on his decades of contributions to the genre what he feels will move the ball forward. I think he earned some commentary time with what he has achieved professionally. It doesn't mean he is completely right. Nor did he attack Marvel movies outright as being bad, but rather noted 'Not that I don’t love the movies'. Right?

So in essence, he may love the movies but still hopes they fail so that others might succeed. Does that mean other films can't succeed while the Superhero genre is strong? There have been enough films that prove otherwise imo. He's entitled to his own opinion & I know Disney will work hard to make the next 3 Avatar films 1 - 2 billion films also, but I seriously doubt they could reach anywhere close to the 1st film. I think Disney will be alternating between 1 Avatar & 1 Star Wars each Christmas for the next 6 years.

3 minutes ago, marmat said:

If Cameron want to do other stories, why is doing Avatar 2 and 3?

Not to mention Terminator. Hopefully Dark Fate is well received with Cameron back though, as I didn't bother watching Genisys.

16 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

So in essence, he may love the movies but still hopes they fail so that others might succeed. Does that mean other films can't succeed while the Superhero genre is strong? There have been enough films that prove otherwise imo. He's entitled to his own opinion & I know Disney will work hard to make the next 3 Avatar films 1 - 2 billion films also, but I seriously doubt they could reach anywhere close to the 1st film. I think Disney will be alternating between 1 Avatar & 1 Star Wars each Christmas for the next 6 years.

That is the crazy thing now. Disney owns so many franchises now, it will have to trade out which one comes when to keep the experience fresh without overkill.

10 minutes ago, marmat said:

If Cameron want to do other stories, why is doing Avatar 2 and 3?

Now THIS is the more on-point response. If he is concerned about doing multiple stories not tied to a franchise, why years upon years on Avatar?

^^

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That is the crazy thing now. Disney owns so many franchises now, it will have to trade out which one comes when to keep the experience fresh without overkill.

After seeing how Solo performed outside the Christmas holidays, I think they will devote more time to get Star Wars spin-offs back on track, even if it means more TV series & less movies. They could do the same with Avatar & help build a franchise around Cameron's universe as well.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now THIS is the more on-point response. If he is concerned about doing multiple stories not tied to a franchise, why years upon years on Avatar?

^^

I think he's hoping to emulate what Star Wars & Marvel have done in hope of turning the tides in another (his) direction.

Edited by chezmtghut

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't understand that to mean that he's concerned about franchise-based superhero films, just superhero films in general. The trend seems to be everyone and their brother wants to make/produce/star in a "superhero" type movie because they see MCU = $$$. This may be having the effect that other sci-fi / fantasy type movies are NOT being made. So, instead of the next Interstellar, The Martian, or Arrival, we're getting The Suicide Squad.

I'd have been just as satisfied if I waited for it to come to dvd, but I hate wading through the spoiler threats from everyone around me who has seen it. Larson's haircut barely put a dent in my opinion of the film. 

Not a fan of these creepy Stan "cameos". It feels cheap to me, like it's being done for the wrong reason (not saying that's the case).

I DID love Starlin's cameo :headbang:

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

The trend seems to be everyone and their brother wants to make/produce/star in a "superhero" type movie because they see MCU = $$$. 

What studios don't understand is movie goers want quality films - not necessarily any specific "type" of movie.  Is every MCU movie great?  No, but they are at least decent.  Is every MCU movie entertaining and worth my dollars.  Yes.  Is every non-MCU superhero movie a success - absolutely not.

It's got to sting a little bit for Cameron to lose the top spot if Avatar falls - it's understandable.  It's just personal pride and not necessarily jealously.  But his dig about "do something different" took it a little too far.  The very foundation of the MCU was to immerse you into their world and I'm going to have to say it was very successful.

41 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

What studios don't understand is movie goers want quality films - not necessarily any specific "type" of movie.  Is every MCU movie great?  No, but they are at least decent.  Is every MCU movie entertaining and worth my dollars.  Yes.  Is every non-MCU superhero movie a success - absolutely not.

It's got to sting a little bit for Cameron to lose the top spot if Avatar falls - it's understandable.  It's just personal pride and not necessarily jealously.  But his dig about "do something different" took it a little too far.  The very foundation of the MCU was to immerse you into their world and I'm going to have to say it was very successful.

For him to suggest "doing something different" after making Avatar is pretty funny.