• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could only keep 5 books
6 6

418 posts in this topic

I have come to the realization that I could never just pick five. But, I can pick one pretty easily. The last book I still have from my child hood collection. I found this in a stack of MAD magazines I hid up in our treehouse long after I had moved out of my parents house and my mom had dumped the rest of my comics stored in a closet.  My parents really hated MAD for some reason so I had to be sneaky.

comjimmyolsen57_zpsmcs8udyz.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

How was it? Nothing like that Mile High smell, wet inks and just the feel of them. I've got a bunch of raws but could never bring myself to slab 'em...

well, it is somewhat unique.   I slabbed it just to have it authoritatively documented as the Mile High.   I bought it about 20 years ago (yikes!)

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I just show mine to Adam Strange. He can really nail them!

If you don't mind bragging, which ones do you have?   I also have the Mile High Action 71, and that's it.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

I don't mind bragging but too many to list. I bought most from Chuck directly way back when he first bought the collection. Got a good bunch from Redbeard and John MCLaughlin many years ago. I was heavily into Seduction of the Innocent, pre-code horror, crime, Atlas and those cool oddball ones that just jumped out at me. No early ones or "Men in Tights" too expensive and they just didn't interest me as much. I think most all are in Mylar and not graded. Probably should have them graded and documented but I just don't care that much right now.

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I just show mine to Adam Strange. He can really nail them!

They were really sweet! :cloud9:

8 hours ago, HRCostigan said:

I've been accused of having too narrow of a focus.  Not true -- I own two titles.

top5.jpg

WW8 almost made my list

51 minutes ago, BOOT said:

It is great seeing all the picks here. Some fantastic books and it is really fascinating seeing the reasoning behind the selections...

Wonder what comprises scotts top 5?

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't mind bragging but too many to list. I bought most from Chuck directly way back when he first bought the collection. Got a good bunch from Redbeard and John MCLaughlin many years ago. I was heavily into Seduction of the Innocent, pre-code horror, crime, Atlas and those cool oddball ones that just jumped out at me. No early ones or "Men in Tights" too expensive and they just didn't interest me as much. I think most all are in Mylar and not graded. Probably should have them graded and documented but I just don't care that much right now.

(worship)

27 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Get on it T!! I sure ain't getting any younger over here!! :hi:

I want a GATOR top 5 group shot too!!! :idea::popcorn:

I'm out of town at a bball tourney but suspect I will throw something  together sooner or later. 

I'm still making payments on one of mine..... so it may be a little while for my list..... but then, I could always put up four and leave one spot open.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Marvel Mystery #17. Ad for Captain America #1, first Timely team-up, and the first WWII era GA book I ever bought. It's missing its CF, so it was $20.

Mad #1. In my opinion, one of the top 10 most important comics ever published, and the best book to represent my man Harvey.

N.Y. World's Fair '40. You gots to has you some Bats and Supes.

Captain America #6. I'm making the hard call and letting go of all of my S&K, keeping just one example. 1st S&K double page CF spread.

Space Western #44. EDITOR: "Westerns sell, and kids like space stuff." PUBLISHER: "Needs a gimmick. Work in Hitler and you got a winner."

590633e02624d_IMG_08041.thumb.jpg.f47ec0ba604325822e96f7eda2c1eee0.jpg 

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Marvel Mystery #17. Ad for Captain America #1, first Timely team-up, and the first WWII era GA book I ever bought. It's missing its CF, so it was $20.

Mad #1. In my opinion, one of the top 10 most important comics ever published, and the best book to represent my man Harvey.

N.Y. World's Fair '40. You gots to has you some Bats and Supes.

Captain America #6. I'm making the hard call and letting go of all of my S&K, keeping just one example. 1st S&K double page CF spread.

Space Western #44. EDITOR: "Westerns sell, and kids like space stuff." PUBLISHER: "Needs a gimmick. Work in Hitler and you got a winner."

590633e02624d_IMG_08041.thumb.jpg.f47ec0ba604325822e96f7eda2c1eee0.jpg 

Love the books and the back story behind the eclectic picks! Completely agree on Mad #1 (though mine isn't going to make my top 5, only because I will take a theme approach) as an underappreciated book. When you consider the influence Mad has had outside the hobby as well, it's pretty important.

And Space Western is like Moby (the white whale), as in a massively inclusive work of literature, for the period from WWII right up to the Silver Age. All the zaniness of those years in the comic industry (most of it, anyway) is touched on.

Edited by Readcomix