• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could only keep 5 books
6 6

418 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I know you said no words, but these demand explanation:

1.   Batman 15 -- War cover with Batman and Robin manning a machine gun; awesome story where Catwoman falls in love with Bruce Wayne and Bruce spanks Robin (you owe it to yourself to check out this story, which can be seen in the Batman Archives books);   also has another great story where Batman and Robin get to see an alternate future where the Nazis and Japanese win WWII and Batman/Robin get gunned down by the Nazis.

2.   Batman 47 -- How  could you not keep the first detailed origin story where Batman finds his parents killers?;   plus another great Catwoman story called "Fashions in Crime"

3.   Superman 20 -- war cover;  the first Superman story contains a funny cameo appearance with Bruce Wayne and Grayson, which could be the first story where the three of them actually appeared together in a story;  a letter column that talks about the employees of DC who went to serve in WWII;  a great war story featuring Hitler

4.   Superman 53 --  First detailed origin story showing the death of Superman's parents;  great ads giving you the sense of the times;  a story featuring "Superhombre"

5.    Detective 155 --  Mile High copy with very sharp black cover (one of my favorite covers) with a great Vickie Vale story to boot;  plus stories with Roy Raymond and Pow Wow-Smith, Indian Lawman

batman 18 andn 47.JPG

superman 20 and 53.JPG

TEC 155.JPG

Words and stories are great!

just no "lists " without pics!

yours is A+ in my mind!

I thought about this for too long and came up with this list.  What I found is that there are "big" cool books that have high dollar value and "little" cool books that have low dollar value, but equally high "want" value.  In that scenario, the low dollar stuff tends to win out because it's very unlikely that anyone would be willing to make a cash offer strong enough for me to part with the book.  I need to come up with some fancy term for the "dollar-to-coolness ratio".  

Battle Front 23 -- River City copy.  Great example of the era.  I struggle with a number of killer Atlas war books, almost all with Heath covers.  I settled on this one over a few others (e.g. War 11, 23, Battle Front 15, Men's Advs 20, etc.) due to the fact that I've seen or know of a few really nice copies of the others and I've never seen one to compare with this particular book.  None of mine are going anywhere, but if you were ripping them out of my hands I might hold this one the hardest.  

Bill Battle 3 -- the epitome of anti-communist absurdity.  Lurked for this copy for years going back to when Mick showed me a copy back in '96 (oh, my arthritis!)

Journey into Unknown Worlds 49 -- Heath, Robots, and alien invasion... what's not to love?

United States Marines 8 -- about my favorite 50s Korean war cover.  So nonchalantly gruesome.  

Green Lama 2 -- Certainly one of Raboy's best, if not the best.  Incomparable Church copy.  

battlefront 23 rca.jpg

bill battle 3 full fc 94.jpg

jiuw 49 cgc 9_2.jpg

us marines 8 dca.jpg

green lama 2 mha.jpg

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I thought about this for too long and came up with this list.  What I found is that there are "big" cool books that have high dollar value and "little" cool books that have low dollar value, but equally high "want" value.  In that scenario, the low dollar stuff tends to win out because it's very unlikely that anyone would be willing to make a cash offer strong enough for me to part with the book.  I need to come up with some fancy term for the "dollar-to-coolness ratio".  

Battle Front 23 -- River City copy.  Great example of the era.  I struggle with a number of killer Atlas war books, almost all with Heath covers.  I settled on this one over a few others (e.g. War 11, 23, Battle Front 15, Men's Advs 20, etc.) due to the fact that I've seen or know of a few really nice copies of the others and I've never seen one to compare with this particular book.  None of mine are going anywhere, but if you were ripping them out of my hands I might hold this one the hardest.  

Bill Battle 3 -- the epitome of anti-communist absurdity.  Lurked for this copy for years going back to when Mick showed me a copy back in '96 (oh, my arthritis!)

Journey into Unknown Worlds 49 -- Heath, Robots, and alien invasion... what's not to love?

United States Marines 8 -- about my favorite 50s Korean war cover.  So nonchalantly gruesome.  

Green Lama 2 -- Certainly one of Raboy's best, if not the best.  Incomparable Church copy.  

battlefront 23 rca.jpg

jiuw 49 cgc 9_2.jpg

us marines 8 dca.jpg

green lama 2 mha.jpg

I like your logic, and your selection of books is top notch.  Never seen the Bill Battle, and I don't recall the US Marines cover (though I want it now!).  And there's just something uber cool about the Green Lama and the march to war.

battlefront 23 rca.jpg

jiuw 49 cgc 9_2.jpg

us marines 8 dca.jpg

green lama 2 mha.jpg

Very nice group! War comics like crime comics just don't get the love these days. As a kid pre-Marvel, I mostly bought SA DC war. The men in tights stories just didn't compare to Gunner and Sarge and Sgt Rock. 

That Bill Battle is off the hook. The Green Lama is a master piece. But being a Robot Man, that Unknown Worlds cover is a special favorite.

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I know you said no words, but these demand explanation:

1.   Batman 15 -- War cover with Batman and Robin manning a machine gun; awesome story where Catwoman falls in love with Bruce Wayne and Bruce spanks Robin (you owe it to yourself to check out this story, which can be seen in the Batman Archives books);   also has another great story where Batman and Robin get to see an alternate future where the Nazis and Japanese win WWII and Batman/Robin get gunned down by the Nazis.

2.   Batman 47 -- How  could you not keep the first detailed origin story where Batman finds his parents killers?;   plus another great Catwoman story called "Fashions in Crime"

3.   Superman 20 -- war cover;  the first Superman story contains a funny cameo appearance with Bruce Wayne and Grayson, which could be the first story where the three of them actually appeared together in a story after All Star Comics 7 from Oct-Nov 1941; also includes a letter column that talks about the employees of DC who went to serve in WWII;  a great war story featuring Hitler

4.   Superman 53 --  First detailed origin story showing the death of Superman's parents;  great ads giving you the sense of the times;  a story featuring "Superhombre"

5.    Detective 155 --  Mile High copy with very sharp black cover (one of my favorite covers) with a great Vickie Vale story to boot;  plus stories with Roy Raymond and Pow Wow-Smith, Indian Lawman

batman 18 andn 47.JPG

superman 20 and 53.JPG

TEC 155.JPG

Great group.  Maybe the most impressive thing about that pic is that you broke out a Mile High copy to read it.  That, my friends, is a true fan! (worship)

green lama 2 mha.jpg

At first glance, I thought the guy in the Bill Battle was Elvis. :insane:

And that Green Lama is to die for.  Raboy doesn't get the love of some of the other GA greats (which is fine with me until I track down some more of his books), but he was consistently inventive.  For instance, Schomburg's WW II covers, while fun, repeat the same themes many times.  Raboy always seemed to be striving for something new.  Didn't always work, but he didn't seem to want to settle for mailing it in.  Probably a key reason why he often missed his deadlines.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Raboy doesn't get the love of some of the other GA greats

Raboy along with Lou Fine were the two artists that inspired me to collect GA books after I discovered Alan Light's reprints of Captain Marvel, Jr. and The Black Condor/The Ray, respectively.  Still marvel at both.

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Great group.  Maybe the most impressive thing about that pic is that you broke out a Mile High copy to read it.  That, my friends, is a true fan! (worship)

Thanks dude.... I broke out that Mile High to smell it and touch it.   I never plan to sell it, so why not break it out and enjoy the darn thing.

8 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Thanks dude.... I broke out that Mile High to smell it and touch it.   I never plan to sell it, so why not break it out and enjoy the darn thing.

:headbang:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Very nice group! War comics like crime comics just don't get the love these days. As a kid pre-Marvel, I mostly bought SA DC war. The men in tights stories just didn't compare to Gunner and Sarge and Sgt Rock. 

That Bill Battle is off the hook. The Green Lama is a master piece. But being a Robot Man, that Unknown Worlds cover is a special favorite.

Robot covers :cloud9:

3 hours ago, buttock said:

battlefront 23 rca.jpg

jiuw 49 cgc 9_2.jpg

us marines 8 dca.jpg

green lama 2 mha.jpg

War comics are a great choice don't get the love and who cares !

6 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

How was it? Nothing like that Mile High smell, wet inks and just the feel of them. I've got a bunch of raws but could never bring myself to slab 'em...