• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 4:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There are 8 copies in the census, partly because the guide value is low. (I'm slightly surprised that someone slabbed a VG+.)

2010212218051.jpg

That's a great looking book, but you've posed an interesting paradox in collecting evaluation that runs counter to establishing actual rarity in this thread.  

Maybe there should be a separate GA Census thread with a baseline OSG value to compensate for any disparity caused by the cost of encapsulation.  hm

On 12/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That's a great looking book, but you've posed an interesting paradox in collecting evaluation that runs counter to establishing actual rarity in this thread.  

Maybe there should be a separate GA Census thread with a baseline OSG value to compensate for any disparity caused by the cost of encapsulation.  hm

Lo and behold!Ten Copies or less, CGC Census, based on OSG valueStarted by Cat-Man_America, September 9, 2018

On 10/29/2021 at 2:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There are 8 copies in the census, partly because the guide value is low. (I'm slightly surprised that someone slabbed a VG+.)

2010212218051.jpg

Great cover.  That's a beautiful copy that looks more like an 8.0 or 9.0 than a 4.5.  I assume it has a significant spine split or is missing half the back cover?

On 12/11/2021 at 4:30 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Great cover.  That's a beautiful copy that looks more like an 8.0 or 9.0 than a 4.5.  I assume it has a significant spine split or is missing half the back cover?

The back cover looks OK except for some smudges and quite a few finger bends.

The front cover has some writing or scribbling in pencil (mostly on the Owl's cape) and a 2 1/2" crease on the lower right hand corner, and there are quite a few creases that don't break color—so the defects add up.

(The book also has three staples, which seems odd; they look normal, but I've never heard of a GA book having three production staples.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The front cover has some writing or scribbling in pencil (mostly on the Owl's cape) and a 2 1/2" crease on the lower right hand corner, and there are quite a few creases that don't break color—so the defects add up.

(The book also has three staples, which seems odd; they look normal, but I've never heard of a GA book having three production staples.)

I'll take a 4.5 with those defects every day.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Literally forgot that I'd started that thread. doh!  Thanks for locating it in the archives; it seemed like a good idea at the time in spite of the complexity of trying to devise a formula for rarity!  (thumbsu

Richard was right, it definitely had a bit too much of a Grey Poupon air about it.  

As a side note, CGC does occasionally change their census list when notified that a CGC graded book is cracked out or moved to another census.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

If I'm not mistaken some early GA books do have three staples; it's probably a legitimate production anomaly.  Also, it is a beautiful book; I'm in total agreement with Peter on that. (thumbsu

On 12/12/2021 at 12:43 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Literally forgot that I'd started that thread. doh!  Thanks for locating it in the archives; it seemed like a good idea at the time in spite of the complexity of trying to devise a formula for rarity!  (thumbsu

Richard was right, it definitely had a bit too much of a Grey Poupon air about it.  

As a side note, CGC does occasionally change their census list when notified that a CGC graded book is cracked out or moved to another census.

If I'm not mistaken some early GA books do have three staples; it's probably a legitimate production anomaly.  Also, it is a beautiful book; I'm in total agreement with Peter on that. (thumbsu

not sure i had seen it before!

i'd have cross posted between and betwixt my thread and yours!