• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Maybe this example would help.  There are no Ditko SS books.  A 6.5 Ditko SS would be extremely valuable.  Yes that's right the signature, not the condition, would make it valuable.  Depending on the book, more valuable than a 9.8.

I don't think that's being disputed.  And a 7.0 Ditko SS would be worth more than a 6.5CGC SS, and 9.8 Ditko SS might be exponentially more.  Obviously there are some cases where a signature adds a premium value beyond the additional costs of getting that book signed and slabbed, and some people are making money that way, sometimes serious money. But to ASSUME THAT ANY SIG AUTOMATICALLY ADDS A VALUE BEYOND THE CGC SS COST would be a bad assumption to make, and a bad assumption to base your economic decisions upon.  Pulling outliers means nothing when the point is that every situation is different. 

It is clear that there are situations where people make money on CGC SS slabs.  But I hope people can realize there are just as many situations where there is no money to be made, even if they wanted to, largely because of the CGC grade.  If anyone wants to argue anything else about realized premiums, then they either don't understand enough about the CGC SS market or are being purposefully obtuse and argumentative.  If Rich Henn or Beach Bum were selling CGC SS 7.5's, they wouldn't be making any money.  They profit on those sales ONLY because they provide 9.8's (yes I get that there's the occasional exception). 

Which again is not to say that anyone doesn't have the right to charge what they want for a service they provide, they absolutely do.  But as stated before, it would be a shame to do so BASED ON FALSE ASSUMPTIONS, potentially leaving genuine fans/customers to feel like they've been treated unfairly.  I don't think ANYONE wants to make economic decisions based on false assumptions.

I just don't know if it can be more clear than that. 

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I don't think that's being disputed.  And a 7.0 Ditko SS would be worth more than a 6.5CGC SS, and 9.8 Ditko SS might be exponentially more.  Obviously there are some cases where a signature adds a premium value beyond the additional costs of getting that book signed and slabbed, and some people are making money that way, sometimes serious money. But to ASSUME THAT ANY SIG AUTOMATICALLY ADDS A VALUE BEYOND THE CGC SS COST would be a bad assumption to make, and a bad assumption to base your economic decisions upon.  Pulling outliers means nothing when the point is that every situation is different. 

It is clear that there are situations where people make money on CGC SS slabs.  But I hope people can realize there are just as many situations where there is no money to be made, even if they wanted to, largely because of the CGC grade.  If anyone wants to argue anything else about realized premiums, then they either don't understand enough about the CGC SS market or are being purposefully obtuse and argumentative.  If Rich Henn or Beach Bum were selling CGC SS 7.5's, they wouldn't be making any money.  They profit on those sales ONLY because they provide 9.8's (yes I get that there's the occasional exception). 

Which again is not to say that anyone doesn't have the right to charge what they want for a service they provide, they absolutely do.  But as stated before, it would be a shame to do so BASED ON FALSE ASSUMPTIONS, potentially leaving genuine fans/customers to feel like they've been treated unfairly.  I don't think ANYONE wants to make economic decisions based on false assumptions.

I just don't know if it can be more clear than that. 

Well RMA has a habit of speaking in absolutes with authority I was just addressing that.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. 

Read it again.

It doesn't say "the ONLY thing." It says "the thing." There is a difference in meaning between those two statements, however subtle that difference is perceived to be (and it's not subtle.) No exclusion of other factors is implied, nor should be inferred. That much is made clear by the context of the very next sentence

"Amplify" means "to make larger, greater, or stronger; enlarge; extend." 

These sorts of misunderstandings...willful or innocent...are why many of my posts are long. 

Fine.

As I said earlier, I'm done with the conversation, but didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I respect your position, and I have nothing else to say about it. Cheers.

9 hours ago, mschmidt said:

No, that isn't correct - the vast, vast majority of SS books are witnessed directly by a CGC witness. It's pretty much only sketch cover books where the witness isn't present for the actual sketching, but picks up it from the artist when the book is done.

Were the books that started this thread sketch covers? 

Wow this thing has some legs on Facebook.  Starlin's post has 1,100 likes and 196 comments with most being "good for you" and "I've thought the same way for years". 

I am not with Team Starlin in this matter. 

While I will readily admit that the creators have the absolute right to deny their signature on any material they so choose, I also have the right to not stand in line for his signature at all.  I have no interest in getting a Neal Adams signature anymore due to the way he conducts himself and his pricing.  I disagree with those that feel they are entitled to a signature to begin with and on their terms.  If he turns you away so be it.  Maybe he will change his tune when there is a severe reduction in the number of people lining up to see him. 

However, the comments made in regards to the CGC workers on FB and other places is kinda not cool.  You all know how hard they work and the nonsense that they put up with. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Were the books that started this thread sketch covers? 

Not from what he said.  I think he said the books were just signed.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am not with Team Starlin in this matter. 

While I will readily admit that the creators have the absolute to deny their signature on any material they so choose, I also have the right to not stand in line for his signature at all.  I have no interest in getting a Neal Adams signature anymore due to the way he conducts himself and his pricing.  I disagree with those that feel they are entitled to a signature to begin with and on their terms.  If he turns you away so be it.  Maybe he will change his tune when there is a severe reduction in the number of people lining up to see him. 

However, the comments made in regards to the CGC workers on FB and other places is kinda not cool.  You all know how hard they work and the nonsense that they put up with.  

1000% agree

It's one thing to disagree with Starlin's beef with CGC, but to totally dismiss the guy seems disingenuous.  He contributed enormously to the Marvel mythos which is still being very lucratively exploited to this day. 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

It's one thing to disagree with Starlin's beef with CGC, but to totally dismiss the guy seems disingenuous.  He contributed enormously to the Marvel mythos which is still being very lucratively exploited to this day. 

I don't know why it's such a big deal, he will still sign books. Who cares if he doesn't want to do the cgc thing. As far as his beef with CGC, that's his preference. So be it.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I would give you ten Starlins and a Neal Adams for just one Frazetta sig.

I see you and raise 100 Starlins and 430 Adams

Just now, oakman29 said:

That's alot of birds.....(worship)

Oh damn, that's Starlings.:whistle:

I'll also throw in as many Stanlee as you will take