• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

So some artist got in Jim's ear and he decided to start charging for Sigs being slabbed... Then he forgot to get the money from a customer getting the Sigs from him at his own artist table. Isn't this Jim's mistake in the first place?

I know the simplest thing would be  for the CSR at the CGC booth to hand over some cash (how much per Sig anyway?) but Jim forgot to complete the transaction at his own booth. 

Edited by BeachBum

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

And it just got worse...

From the Facebook page of Jim Starlin:

MY FELLOW FREELANCERS, if any of you have ever had trouble with CGC at a convention and want to do something about it, feel free to copy and paste this letter from a lawyer that Spencer Beck provided. Sign your name and send it via certified mail to CGC.

May 16, 2017

CGC
PO Box 4738
Sarasota, FL 34230
Attn: Chief Executive Officer

Dear Sirs:

Effective immediately, please cease and desist from using my name in any marketing, promotional or other materials.  Please also do not use my name to solicit business for your company or in any way to advance your own commercial interests/profits.  My name is valuable to me and I do not authorize you to use it in commerce.

Additionally, I no longer wish to be involved with your “Signature Series” and do not authorize or consent to someone employed, affiliated or related to your company (or an independent contractor working in any manner related to your company) from witnessing my signatures.  I ask that you instruct your employees not to act as a witness and to identify themselves to me as I will not sign items if I understand they are to be verified by CGC or made part of your Signature Series.

I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed.

Thank you for your prompt attention and understanding. 

I wonder if anyone else is going to sign this.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think people would do well to remember that all a creator "owes" us as fans, is the best work they are capable of doing at the time they're doing it. Everything else is gravy 2c

Yeah...And a lot of these creators would prefer to talk about whatever it is that they're working on NOW, as opposed to stuff they did 40 years ago that they may not even be making money from now...

8 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah...And a lot of these creators would prefer to talk about whatever it is that they're working on NOW, as opposed to stuff they did 40 years ago that they may not even be making money from now...

I have not personally experienced this. The biggest charge I've seen artists get when I've brought stuff to get signed ( not slabbed), is when I've brought something of theirs that isn't super common such as fanzine work  or when I've asked for them to personalize the signature to me.

YMMV of course

Someone mentioned Mark Waid responding well and I had a similar experience with him. I loved his pre-Heroes Reborn Captain American run and mentioned a specific scene to him (Cap jumps out of plane without parachute and Waid wrote him twisting and turning from the wind in the fall) and he got that big grin on his face and thanked me for it. Same with Michael Lark when I told him about Gotham Central when Montoya takes it outside with Corrigan and I had the most visceral reaction to a comic ever, heart pounding and feeling light-headed as they fought it out.

I used to collect sketches a lot more than I do now and many guys wouldn't draw but once I bought a book off the table they were happy to add a sig and small sketch. Eddie Campbell and Eric Shanower come immediately to mind.

Treat the creators well, show them why you are there and good things happen.

I recall being #4 in line (out of 10) for a Walt Simonson head sketch. As he drew for guy number one we stood there watching him in silence. Eventually I spoke up and engaged him and Louise in conversation as he drew. He would stop occasionally and respond to me and even took out some photocopies of the Elric book he was working on. The guy getting the sketch  truned to me and this exchange occurred

"what number are you" "4" "EXACTLY"

I shut up. Walt finished and the guy literally ran away to his next oppportunity. When it came my time I apologized to Walt and he and Weezie laughed and said the guy was very rude and that it was talking to the fans that they came for and that they were glad that someone was talking to them instead of everyone standing there watching silently. I see the guys point as it delayed his drawing a bit but was glad that the Simonsons saw that I was just a fan trying to express my love for Walt's work.

Walt now recognizes me. For a while he would say "I'm not drawing for you, you got some already" and that was fine. I expect to have a nice time chatting with him at the Garden State show this summer and may even get a sketch in a hardcover.

29 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

So some artist got in Jim's ear and he decided to start charging for Sigs being slabbed... Then he forgot to get the money from a customer getting the Sigs from him at his own artist table. Isn't this Jim's mistake in the first place?

I know the simplest thing would be  for the CSR at the CGC booth to hand over some cash (how much per Sig anyway?) but Jim forgot to complete the transaction at his own booth. 

+1

---is that simple, he didn't like being told it was his own fault

Next appearance I know of his is in Irving Texas in July, but CGC isn't too be there so maybe it'll spare everyone a hassle. Honestly I can see the next fan asking him about CGC SS who isn't on these boards having a real uncomfortable encounter :( 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Why would they do that? They are in the business of making money.

1000% Very true. CGC would be more than happy to take your money.

Starlin on the other hand doesn't care of the potential revenue he's loosing from CGC fanboys. 

Yet, he's the clown...

36 minutes ago, prez said:

Starlin on the other hand doesn't care of the potential revenue he's loosing from CGC fanboys. 

Yet, he's the clown...

Your on the CGC website calling US cgc clowns? why? because were Fanboys of a service your obviously apart of??? :baiting:

51 minutes ago, prez said:

Yet, he's the clown...

Your right!!! Starlin doesn't care about money sooooooooo much that even when he charges, he doesn't take the money and blames CGC........ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, BeachBum said:

How's that working out for CGC?

It is not CGC responsibility to pay him during SS, every sig I've got I've paid the Artist and then paid CGC, it isn't CGC's fault that he didn't bother to get the money before signing.......!!!  

Could CGC have forgiven his newbness 

Soitenly !!!! But in the end I blame the clown

funny clown.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Well...I would say that... what Starlin did was create some of the coolest comics of the mid to late 70's... books that many people hold very near and dear, for nostalgic reasons... they were special, and it resonated because of it. 

He did it at a time when the money to do it wasn't much, especially for a freelancer... $15-20 a page... adjusted for inflation about $1769 a month on the high end, BEFORE TAXES...

He did it for the love of doing comics, and I think that shows through, especially in that early work.

And I think that was great for comics.

No doubt. But he was paid for that work. He didn't do it for free. He was just doing his job, and, while doing a smashing job of it, didn't really do anything great "for the hobby."

I just re-red SS #34-38, 40-43 (he didn't write #39), and it's STILL as awesome as it was to my 18 year old self the first time I red it.

If, during the course of your work, you create art...that's really cool. But I dunno if I'd say it was "great for the hobby."

Anyways, probably a moot point.