• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Or he's a person that signs hundreds of documents or letters per day and just wants to get them off his desk....wait, what were we talking about again? lol

So does McFarlane, Steranko, Zeck and many others who have fantastic signatures. Or even mediocre signatures like Adams, Capullo or Campbell. Hell, even Stan Lee has a better signature!

Edited by jcjames

Just now, jcjames said:

So does McFarlane, Steranko, Zeck and many others who have fantastic signatures. Or even mediocre signatures like Adams, Capullo or Campbell. Hell, even Stan Lee has a better signature!

Some guys have two different signatures, their everyday sig and their "artistic" sig.   Perez does, so does Sam Kieth.

I remember buying a piece of art direct from Barry Windsor-Smith and he asked if I wanted it signed and I asked for both...his full signature and his "BWS" artistic sig. 

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Some guys have two different signatures, their everyday sig and their "artistic" sig.   Perez does, so does Sam Kieth.

I remember buying a piece of art direct from Barry Windsor-Smith and he asked if I wanted it signed and I asked for both...his full signature and his "BWS" artistic sig. 

Yeah that's true. But both Perez' signatures are at least not just scribbles. Same with JRJR.

But a POS signature on a FAN'S collectible says "I don't give a ratsass about your crrappy book so here's a scribble on it. You're welcome, now don't forget to pay me - NEXT!".

Edited by jcjames

Walter Simonson's dinosaur signature is recognised as one of the best, and most inventive.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I wonder what would happen, if anyone asked them to sign a CGC slab already graded CGC 9.8?

What's the complaint about wanting a book in great condition? only flippers? 

Sounds like a stretch....like only flippers tape their books for signing?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Having to be precise.  Taking the time to make a readable signature.

The extra effort to not man handle the book. But the critical factor 

here is, time is money, their money!!!!!

6 minutes ago, StingerMcK said:

Man these creators sure are getting salty to their fans lately.  And fans have the option to walk away from the table.

some may have too if there is no CGC available

19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that's what irritates me the most.  

It could also be someone at the opposite end of the spectrum, like me, who's simply very OCD ; protecting a high grade, perhaps expensive book which I care a lot about from damage, and presenting it to a creator whose work I admire.  That level of consideration could, in other circumstances, be interpreted by them as respect rather than greed.

It's a shame that purist collectors now get tarred with the same brush.

Edited by Ken Aldred

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
46 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that's what irritates me the most.  

It could also be someone at the opposite end of the spectrum, like me, who's simply very OCD ; protecting a high grade, perhaps expensive book which I care a lot about from damage, and presenting it to a creator whose work I admire.  That level of consideration could, in other circumstances, be interpreted by them as respect rather than greed.

It's a shame that purist collectors now get tarred with the same brush

While you are a percentage of that hobby I am quite sure its not your part that is irritating to the creators its the other part that they hate.

I feel for OCD collectors as I have met quite a few, but its looking more and more like they will suffer from this. I feel for those collectors. The other part of SS hobby in line with dozens of books have created this problem.