• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

This issue is kind of special for me. For many, many years it was my earliest issue of Superboy. I bought it from Sparkle City Comics in an ad from the Buyers Guide back in the late 80's. At that time I wasn't even familiar with the covers to each issue, so it wasn't kind of cool when you would get one in and see it for the first time. I would own an earlier issue of this title until the 2000's.

IMG_0295.JPG

I,would,like to get a higher grade copy of this issue, but the one shot I had I came up short in an auction. This Metallo has no relation to the one in Action 252, but is a sought after issue nonetheless.

IMG_0296.JPG

Superboy 50. Got this one from Bob Storms. If you are at all familiar withe the DC 100 Page Super Spectaculars, this is a issue that was reprinted in DC-21. That particular issue is one of my most influential comics and personal favorites as I give it credit for really inspiring collectoritis in my young self. I bought that issue off the rack at a 7-11. A couple of things I remember. The very first Superboy story said something like "Tales of Superman when he was a boy". I had though they were two different people! This issue also had the awesome "Super Moby of Space" reprint from Adventure 332, and...all in the same issue...one of my favorite comics of all time Brave and the Bold 54 with the beginnings of the Teen Titans! If that wasn't enough, the original covers on the back! One of the coolest things to me back then was to find the original issue of a reprinted story.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Edited by Silver

33 minutes ago, Silver said:

This issue is kind of special for me. For many, many years it was my earliest issue of Superboy. I bought it from Sparkle City Comics in an ad from the Buyers Guide back in the late 80's. At that time I wasn't even familiar with the covers to each issue, so it wasn't kind of cool when you would get one in and see it for the first time. I would own an earlier issue of this title until the 2000's.

IMG_0295.JPG

Such a innocent cool cover :angel:  plus extra bonus improve your roller skating  !

53 is the "other" Superman cover. I got this issue with its bone white pages from eBay where it had a really poor scan and not book description for $35. I think I did the happy dance when I opened the package. You know, every once in awhile it happens.

IMG_0302.JPG

I'm in awe of your run so far.  Such great looking books all around.  My collection of Superboy doesn't start in ernest until around issue #57, and then takes a big old vacation around issue #150.  I've also been settling on beater copies of filler issues (unless I see a deal), so looking at the high quality of your run has been really fun.

Superboy 54. Got this copy off of eBay many moons ago. Like the green colors on the book. You realize when you collect an entire series that there are books you don't see very often. I felt that way about this one when I got it.

IMG_0304.JPG

Superboy 56. I love love love this book. Early Krypto issue (could be his 4th appearance but I'm not certain). You can always tell his earliest covers because they drew him with a "fleshy" muzzle. It's just a cutesy kind of cover that really captures the charm of the era and the title. I got this nicer-than-it's-grade copy from Ted at Superworld from an OO collection. I have a couple more issues from that same collection, they are really nice books.

IMG_0306.JPG

Although my Superboy collection pales by comparison to your amazing run I do notice many similarities in the condition of my copies to yours for the books I do have. I also love the early Krypto covers and I was waiting for an upgrade to my #56 when you first showed yours from Superworld. Again, ourcopies are almost identical.

Superboy may well be considered secondary to the adult Superman but just as with Superman and Action series, Superboy and Adventure have a huge and diverse offering of covers and tales. The Superboy issues from #60s onwards also develops Superboy's mythology with the same enthusiasm as his adult version happening at the same time in Action and Superman. Again, also evolving in the Adventure books.

You bring up some great points Ian. I have long thought that Superboy introduced as many or more of the familiar silver age story elements as the Superman titles. Usually if they started in Superboy they would port over to Superman and occasionally the other way around. Let me see if I can name a few. Krypto, red kryptonite, robots, Bizarro all started in Superboy and were then used in Superman. Phantom Zone started in Superman and worked its way back to Superboy. I could probably think of s few more.

by the way, your being modest. You might not have a complete Superboy, but your Adventures are amazing!

Edited by Silver