• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

I really like the original bizarro story, it's about as good as it gets for DC in this era. It's a shame that they made the bizzaros into a comedy routine. They did a bizzaro of just about everything. 

IMG_0348.JPG

Edited by Silver

Another Superbaby cover. This is the problem with books that have no continuity, they really on gimmicks and such. Another cool beast from Krypton. I find it humorous that they needed to find a Krypto a mate.

IMG_0353.JPG

For whatever reason this was one of the last issues I needed other than number one. It's not rare or anything, I just had a hard time finding a copy. Kinda goofy alien cover, but is neither the first or last goofy aliens cover DC had.

IMG_0354.JPG

Last of the 80's, maybe the best issue. First appearance of Mon-el. Another familiar Superboy wants a brother theme. For anyone whose never read it, it's a good issue and has a cool use of the Phantom Zone. Think about this, Mon-el spent 1000 years in the Phantom Zone. I found this copy around 1990.

IMG_0355.JPG

Edited by Silver

52 minutes ago, Silver said:

Another Superbaby cover. This is the problem with books that have no continuity, they really on gimmicks and such. Another cool beast from Krypton. I find it humorous that they needed to find a Krypto a mate.

IMG_0353.JPG

YOUR FAVORITE !! the DC "still 10 cents" logo !!!

Edited by 1950's war comics

lol yeah, that's been my logo since I joined the boards. I think it's a pretty cool period for DC as they were transitioning from  10 cents to 12. There were really a bunch of great books in 1961/2 DC, probably my favorite time frame.

Alright, let's finish off the 10 cent era!

While a pretty unremarkable issue overall I do like it when the covers have dates on them showing the timeframe. Also, Lana's role and her appearance are about at peak now. Over in Lois Lane Lana became a regular as an adult starting in #7.

IMG_0356.JPG

Well, here we are...then end of the 10 cent era. This is a pretty cool issue I think. Lex and his pup take on the the Supers. I did Alex's dog with the cool Las Vegas Raiders cape lol

By looking back through this thread you can really see how the character of Superboy changed over the 12 years since issue number one. 

IMG_0358.JPG

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

fantastic Dan, a real treat - thank you for the considerable time and effort, just superb  (worship)

The greatest Superboy collector and collection in the modern era.  Thanks for sharing, Dan!

3 minutes ago, SLR5 said:

The greatest Superboy collector and collection in the modern era.  Thanks for sharing, Dan!

Superboy collectors might want to check out some of the great Superboy covers in Adventure Comics.  One of the best and my favorite is Adventure Comics 232.  It took me like forever to find a decent copy.  It's a CGC 8.0 with beautiful Off White PQ.  Check it out and I will post mine tomorrow.  I gotta remember how to scan books as I don't much anymore, though.

Been quite a ride of appreciation viewing all your 10c Superboys, Silver. Loking forward to the 12c issues.

It would be interesting if more collectors showed favorites from their collections with any background information about how they were acquired etc.

Answering a few comments over the last pages. Yes, there is another DC superhero tennis cover. World's Finest #25. Also, the Kryptonite Kid does appear in more issues thanjust 83 and 99. An absolute classic imaginary tale in Superboy 128.

11 hours ago, SLR5 said:

Superboy collectors might want to check out some of the great Superboy covers in Adventure Comics.  One of the best and my favorite is Adventure Comics 232.  It took me like forever to find a decent copy.  It's a CGC 8.0 with beautiful Off White PQ.  Check it out and I will post mine tomorrow.  I gotta remember how to scan books as I don't much anymore, though.

Many of the very best Superboy covers are in Adventure Comics just as many of the best Superman and Batman ones are in Action and Detective. Adventure 232, with its blue sky is one of a number of eye catching covers in the #230s.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:36 AM, Silver said:

Superboy - Complete!

I have collected the silverage Superman titles for over three decades.... Lastly, for years now I only needed Superboy 1 to complete 1-258. 

As of last weeks Heritage auction, that quest is over. 

IMG_0237.JPG

Victory! Very good to hear that you've finally completed your long and noble quest. 

And such a fabulous copy of #1! How long did it take you before you broke it out of the holder and put it with your other Superboy comics?

???