• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

By this point in the run the issues from here on were some of the earliest I acquired in the 1980's when I decided to collect the Superman books. My mentality back then was to get long runs of consecutive issues usually starting at some round number. I never at that time expected to complete Superboy, but 100-up seemed doable.

IMG_0387.JPG

Regarding the last issue, I love thought balloons on animals lol

Speaking of thought, the Thought Monster of Krypton was one of the more imaginative Kryptonian creatures. There could be a whole thread on the stuff DC introduced that made it from Krypton.

IMG_0388.JPG

102 was the las of the box 12's. The 12 cent logo you see now will be on books for several years, this is significant in as pricing and pricing logos changed often after this point. The next significant identifier of age will be when the checker box logos come. 1963-4 were really great years for DC, many good stories came out of those years. 

I have always liked this Curt Swan Black Knight cover.

IMG_0389.JPG

On 6/14/2017 at 7:39 AM, Silver said:

Superboy 98. A real favorite of mine, I.... I love the cover with Superboy and Ultra Boy looking at each other. 

IMG_0378.JPG

Hmmmmm. I don't know about those two. Why weren't they turning their X-ray vision on Lana instead of each other?

???

5 hours ago, Silver said:

Regarding the last issue, I love thought balloons on animals lol

Speaking of thought, the Thought Monster of Krypton was one of the more imaginative Kryptonian creatures. There could be a whole thread on the stuff DC introduced that made it from Krypton.

IMG_0388.JPG

The Thought Monster on this cover looks like a floating balloon.

On 14/06/2017 at 0:39 PM, Silver said:

Superboy 98. A real favorite of mine, I. Ought this copy at. SDCC back in the late 80's. I love the cover with Superboy and Ultra Boy looking at each other. This is Ultra Boys first appearance, another must have issue for any LSH fan. Dig Ultra Boys cool baseball uniform! Also, see the car in the background? Probably early 1930's vintage. This starting causing DC some continuity issues, if Superman was present day, when was his childhood? It floated basically. I guess today his childhood is the mid to late 1990's....he's a millennial!

IMG_0378.JPG

Superboy 98 is not easy to find without some degree of edge discoloration, especially at the top edge.

I'm still kicking myself for not having acted quickly fifteen years ago and snapped up a seemingly perfect white, bright copy that Pendragon Comics of Toronto had for sale at the big Toronto comic show. But Superboy was a lower priority  for me at the time and....

:frown:

6 hours ago, Silver said:

By this point in the run the issues from here on were some of the earliest I acquired in the 1980's when I decided to collect the Superman books. My mentality back then was to get long runs of consecutive issues usually starting at some round number. I never at that time expected to complete Superboy, but 100-up seemed doable.

IMG_0387.JPG

Between this great SA Superboy thread and the Jon Berk GA auction thread these boards are fantastic at this moment !!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Silver said:

Superboy 100! This is my second copy of this landmark issue, I upgraded from a mid grade copy. Although I like to stay away from CR/OW pages when possible, this was a really nice copy. It's got some great extra bonus features in it and yet another LSH appearance!

I'm not aware of another DC anniversary issue packed with so many extras.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Superboy 100 is almost like a giant sized issue !!

22 hours ago, Silver said:

That has been brought up before lol

Yes, but think of poor Lana. Those superhero fellows were such morally upright prigs back in 1962 that a girl couldn't even get them to part with an admiring glance. I mean here she must have been thinking "Look, look! See what you're missing being off superheroing all the time! Geeze, you're all such boring no fun do-gooders. How's a girl ever going to find a husband these days?" 

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat