• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

I completely agree with the comments  about Adventure Comics. It has some amazing covers. It would also be much more difficult and expensive to complete 103-380 versus Superboy 1-258. I get shivers thinking about try complete the Adventures between 150-200.

Some of the 90's really had some great stories. This one, 93 had a LSH appearance. I couldnt say enough of how much I loved the LSH as a kid and how it influenced me reading Superboy. Many of the stories from this timeframe were reprint between 80-100 page giants later on. This partular issue is the first 12 center and has a little bit different design on the box 12 logo then the issues following it. Once you can tell the difference you can recognize the first 12 center in every DC comic. 

IMG_0359.JPG

This one has another pretty cool,cover and some good stories. Pete Ross showed up regularly around this time frame. Curt Swan was in full swing in the Superman family of comics. I think his best covers were on Superman, but he had some nice covers on Superboy as well.

IMG_0360.JPG

1 hour ago, Silver said:

This one has another pretty cool,cover and some good stories.... Curt Swan was in full swing in the Superman family of comics. I think his best covers were on Superman, but he had some nice covers on Superboy as well.

IMG_0360.JPG

That has to be one of those issues in which Curt Swan had a great idea for a cover and drew the cover before the story was written. Mort Weisinger would have then told one of his writers to spin a tale based on the cover.

Seeing scans of all these great Superboy covers though reinforces my recent thinking that I absolutely, positively need to beef up my collection of Superboy comics over the next two or three decades. While Superboy was never among my favourite titles as a kid, I'd say that it's high time more copies of Superboy found their way into my comic cabinet where I keep my really good stuff.

:headbang:

3 hours ago, Silver said:

Some of the 90's really had some great stories. This one, 93 had a LSH appearance. I couldnt say enough of how much I loved the LSH as a kid and how it influenced me reading Superboy. Many of the stories from this timeframe were reprint between 80-100 page giants later on. This partular issue is the first 12 center and has a little bit different design on the box 12 logo then the issues following it. Once you can tell the difference you can recognize the first 12 center in every DC comic. 

IMG_0359.JPG

So all of the first DC 12 centers all have a box and use a bit smaller font and don't have a line through the ₵, compared to the following issues?

53 minutes ago, FutureFlash said:

So all of the first DC 12 centers all have a box and use a bit smaller font and don't have a line through the ₵, compared to the following issues?

Only the eight that hit the newsstands in the first ten days of October 1961 have those characteristics. See the October 1961 Newsstand in Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=10&year=1961&publisher=dc&sort=date&checklist=null

:)

Edited by Hepcat

I haven't studied every DC cover from late 1961 but the 12 centers I noticed that are different have a December cover date. Mikes site btw is simply amazing. I haven't been there in awhile, but it's quite a website for DC enthusiasts.

Edited by Silver

Superboy 96. I can't emphasize enough how seeing covers on later giant issues influenced me to seek out back issues when I was younger. This one was reprinted in Superboy 156. I simply loved giant sized books and to some extant collected giant size series such as 80-Page Giant, 100 Page Super Spectacular, Limited Collectors Edition, Super DC Giant etc.

These issues from 1962-63 are pretty good reading if you like DC

IMG_0376.JPG

Superboy 98. A real favorite of mine, I. Ought this copy at. SDCC back in the late 80's. I love the cover with Superboy and Ultra Boy looking at each other. This is Ultra Boys first appearance, another must have issue for any LSH fan. Dig Ultra Boys cool baseball uniform! Also, see the car in the background? Probably early 1930's vintage. This starting causing DC some continuity issues, if Superman was present day, when was his childhood? It floated basically. I guess today his childhood is the mid to late 1990's....he's a millennial!

IMG_0378.JPG

Edited by Silver

On 6/13/2017 at 7:35 AM, Silver said:

This one has another pretty cool,cover and some good stories. Pete Ross showed up regularly around this time frame. Curt Swan was in full swing in the Superman family of comics. I think his best covers were on Superman, but he had some nice covers on Superboy as well.

IMG_0360.JPG

Seems like this one is readily available on eBay or maybe its because the cover is so memorable !

Superboy 100! This is my second copy of this landmark issue, I upgraded from a mid grade copy. Although I like to stay away from CR/OW pages when possible, this was a really nice copy. It's got some great extra bonus features in it and yet another LSH appearance!

I'm not aware of another DC anniversary issue packed with so many extras.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Edited by Silver

On 6/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, Hepcat said:

Only the eight that hit the newsstands in the first ten days of October 1961 have those characteristics. See the October 1961 Newsstand in Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=10&year=1961&publisher=dc&sort=date&checklist=null

:)

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

29 minutes ago, Silver said:

Superboy 100! This is my second copy of this landmark issue, I upgraded from a mid grade copy. Although I like to stay away from CR/OW pages when possible, this was a really nice copy. It's got some great extra bonus features in it and yet another LSH appearance!

I'm not aware of another DC anniversary issue packed with so many extras.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

That map of Krypton is cool. Superman is one of my favorite characters and I've been working on a Silver run since getting back into collecting a few years ago, but pretty much nixed the idea of collecting Superboy.  However this thread has me rethinking that position.