• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a Cap 1 ppp these days ?

114 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, jabats said:

I think a lot of potential upside in "investable" comics like GA mega keys includes overseas collectors. Not sure they will gravitate towards Cap, whereas superman & batman are global brands with international appeal.

That question (if it was a question) is already answered by Cap's connection to the Avengers and the fact that he is Marvel's only real (or most significant) GA holdover, whereas DC has multiple GA holdovers. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That question (if it was a question) is already answered by Cap's connection to the Avengers and the fact that he is Marvel's only real (or most significant) GA holdover, whereas DC has multiple GA holdovers. 

-J.

Those connections are definitely pluses. The Avengers brand is strong and Cap is easily the most popular Marvel holdover from the GA. Still, The Avengers have not always been as popular as they are now, and even I, a fan of the team and someone who enjoys the films, still don't hold their MCU incarnations in the highest regard. The MCU, IMO, lowers their ceiling to cash in on humor. The result is a collection of enjoyable, fun films that, at least to me, fall short of their potential. In comparison to superhero films of the 1990s, they're a glowing success and you can't argue with the box office numbers, still, I don't see them holding up strong as they age over the next 10-30 years. Will we see other, even better incarnations that only serve to further boost Cap's popularity? It's a definite possibility. But I don't think Cap's staying power is a slam dunk guarantee either. Hard to find a book much better than Cap #1, but for the reasons I stated earlier, I think Superman #1 is one of the very few.

53 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

No argument that the Avengers movies were international hits. 

But it's hard to imagine an American collector shelling out 6 figures for a book titled "Captain England 1" or "Captain Japan 1" or "Captain Iran Comics #1".

A character literally named after a country would seem to have a ceiling on their international appeal, compared to the top globally known characters.

9 minutes ago, jabats said:

No argument that the Avengers movies were international hits. 

But it's hard to imagine an American collector shelling out 6 figures for a book titled "Captain England 1" or "Captain Japan 1" or "Captain Iran Comics #1".

A character literally named after a country would seem to have a ceiling on their international appeal, compared to the top globally known characters.

They're all American creations regardless.  I'm not sure the literal name of these characters has any affect on the "cool factor" on a national or international level, and they all are kind of silly and juvenile sounding when you really think about it. 

Right now, Batman, iron man, Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Deadpool are "cool".  This is what the next gen collectors will chase.    Superman, while iconic, hasn't been "cool" for a very long time. Since Cap is the only GA character from that group that isn't Batman, and Marvel/Disney (a global company) owns the rights without any legal entanglements, it isn't hard to fathom his book catching/ overtaking Superman 1 eventually.  It really just isn't.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I hear what you are saying but one book is 1939 and the other is 1941.    That's arguably as big a supply difference as 1962 and 1964 when talking marvels.    Daredevil 1 (64) probably isn't overtaking hulk 1 (62) or Jim 83 (thor; also 62) no matter how big daredevil ever gets.    yes there's more to it than the date, but..

49 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

They're all American creations regardless.  I'm not sure the literal name of these characters has any affect on the "cool factor" on a national or international level, and they all are kind of silly and juvenile sounding when you really think about it. 

Right now, Batman, iron man, Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Deadpool are "cool".  This is what the next gen collectors will chase.    Superman, while iconic, hasn't been "cool" for a very long time. Since Cap is the only GA character from that group that isn't Batman, and Marvel/Disney (a global company) owns the rights without any legal entanglements, it isn't hard to fathom his book catching/ overtaking Superman 1 eventually.  It really just isn't.  

-J.

I agree it isn't hard to fathom, it could happen.

To some extent it's unpredictable... especially with international audiences, the movies probably have even greater importance to the characters' popularity. Let's see how the next decade or two of box office receipts go.

Anyway all these characters' popularity ebb and flow somewhat; in the 90s (when I started collecting), I thought X-men were the absolute center of the comic universe...

Interesting that the 6.5 that was on comiclink has already been taken down.  

I wonder if something happened with the sale.  Like the seller backing out.... hm  Meanwhile the restored 0.5 that sold a couple months ago is still there.

-J.

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Interesting that the 6.5 that was on comiclink has already been taken down.  

I wonder if something happened with the sale.  Like the seller backing out.... hm

or preference to not have a publicized weak sale of a GA mega key for very long.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

or preference to not have a publicized weak sale of a GA mega key for very long.

Then why post it at all? lol I'm sure they're smart enough to know that was up to $100k under FMV.  

-J.

Sale needs to go on record no matter what. How long is another story ...

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Sale needs to go on record no matter what. How long is another story ...

But did it actually happen?  (shrug)

-J.

My guess would be yes. Not so knowledgeable seller, or someone in a real tight spot for cash needing a super quick sale even if leaving (a ton) money on table. Who knows.

We might see it resurface at an auction block, as a 6.5 or even 7.0, or maybe not. Time will tell.

In the end only ComicLink can have the last word.

Edited by Gotham Kid

There was a boardie who a few years back bought an Action 7 or 10 off eBay for like $400 and auctioned it off for 20K right after. So anything is possible.

One thing is for sure. If seller did in fact pull out, doubt he will be able to list on ComicLink again.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

There was a boardie who bought an Action 7 or 10 off eBay for like $400 and auctioned it off for like 20K right after a few years back. So anything is possible.

True.  Without additional info I might give even odds to the seller backing out (maybe after reading the comments on these boards even) and it closing on comiclink and them immediately removing it (something they don't typically do).

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Without additional info I might give even odds to the seller backing out (maybe after reading the comments on these boards even) and it closing on comiclink and them immediately removing it (something they don't typically do).

Will the buyer ever be PISSED !! :fear:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

What happens when the seller backs out ?  Anarchy ? :tonofbricks:

-J.

Tell me about it. A sale should be final with no backing out. I'm sure CL has some sort of policy about that. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Tell me about it. A sale should be final with no backing out. I'm sure CL has some sort of policy about that. 

They don't have the books in hand for exchange sales usually.   Someone makes the offer the seller accepts then they have to actually send the book to comiclink who then sends it to the buyer.  

What would the recourse be if someone is stricken with seller's remorse and just didn't send the book ?  Maybe comiclink just cancels their account and doesn't take books on the exchange from them anymore...

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

They don't have the books in hand for exchange sales usually.   Someone makes the offer the seller accepts then they have to actually send the book to comiclink who then sends it to the buyer.  

What would the recourse be if someone is stricken with seller's remorse and just didn't send the book ?  Maybe comiclink just cancels their account and doesn't take books on the exchange from them anymore...

-J.

I'd say that's what's gonna happen should the seller back out of the transaction.