• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a Cap 1 ppp these days ?

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, twmjr1 said:

Berk Cap 1  7.0 B-3 with all three sides trimmed already over 17k, twelve days from the hammer. Lord. Would not shock me to see it go for 30k plus. The insanity continues.

I am not sure it is insanity.  Cap 1 is a great grail and had been trending for quite a while.  It is the one book, I will never have and always want, no matter the condition, even a coverless copy would be great.  

It may be a surprising result at hammer but the bidding is fierce on JB's collection and Cap decking Schicklegruber on the jaw cover - kind of puts the entire GA in a nice little package, trimmed or not.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Cap 1 left marvel 1 in it's dust sometime ago 

Again, I think Cap 1 could surpass Bat 1 eventually.  I could even see it passing Supes 1 and ending up the #3 book in the hobby at some point.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Thanks. I have not been following Timely prices, but I remember a few years back when there was still a debate whether which one is the bigger book. 

MC1 is still the bigger/more important book, but Cap 1 is more popular and expensive these days. 

3 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Again, I think Cap 1 could surpass Bat 1 eventually.  I could even see it passing Supes 1 and ending up the #3 book in the hobby at some point.

I would like to think so. I certainly think you could make a case for it.  Very popular GA Superhero that is still around today in it's original inception of the character.   Classic Cover.  Origin and first appearance of a classic hero.   Not a reprint of four other stories etc

38 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I would like to think so. I certainly think you could make a case for it.  Very popular GA Superhero that is still around today in it's original inception of the character.   Classic Cover.  Origin and first appearance of a classic hero.   Not a reprint of four other stories etc

I love my Cap 1 but I feel Bat 1 will and should always be worth more. I do think it could one day overtake Superman 1.

4 hours ago, Primetime said:

MC1 is still the bigger/more important book, but Cap 1 is more popular and expensive these days. 

I am in the opposite camp. It is sort of like saying Detective #1 is more important than Action #1 or Tec #27 . MC 1 is the first Timely book, but did not introduce any characters of note. As a result, Cap 1 should be recognized as the bigger/more important book.

2 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I love my Cap 1 but I feel Bat 1 will and should always be worth more. I do think it could one day overtake Superman 1.

Agreed. Batman #1 also introduces a villain that is arguably more popular than Captain America. I don't think it will overtake Supes #1 though, due to supply.

Cap is a great character, but (relative to Supes and Bats) will never have the same international popularity , in my opinion, for obvious reasons.

* note: I am biased and am "talking my book" !

11 hours ago, kimik said:

Agreed. Batman #1 also introduces a villain that is arguably more popular than Captain America. I don't think it will overtake Supes #1 though, due to supply.

No "popularity" argument to make there. The Marvel cinematic universe has destroyed that argument. Also, Cap 1 appears to be no more plentiful than Supes 1.

Edited by twmjr1
mistake

To me, right now, it seems Captain America is more popular than Superman . Here is how I rank the top 5 most popular characters in Marvel and DC:

MARVEL 

1) Spider-Man 

2) Wolverine 

3) Deadpool

4 ) Captain America

5) Iron Man

DC 

1) Batman

2) Flash

3) Harley 

4) Joker

5) Wonder Woman/Green Arrow  (I think in time, WW will take a slight edge)

Edited by Dark Knight

On 5/27/2017 at 9:16 PM, Chicago Boy said:

What's a Cap 1 ppp these days ?

With  restored .5's ( missing pages, trimmed , cover printing errors ) selling between 16-20k  I can't figure out a reasonable price per point. .... 

Private sales and offers are in the $34k-$37k pp for low grade. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, Primetime said:

Private sales and offers are in the $34k-$37k pp for low grade. 

I have a 5.0 M(A) that I bought 6 years ago for $7800. Glad I bought it back then.

Edited by twmjr1
mistake

5 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

No "popularity" argument to make there. The Marvel cinematic universe has destroyed that argument. Also, Cap 1 appears to be no more plentiful than Supes 1.

Very much so, although you wouldn't know it by the relative lack of Cap 1s on the market recently. 

23 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

The two biggest hurdles there, IMO, are scarcity and the staying power of Cap's popularity. He's red hot now, and he's always been iconic, but his rise in recent years has been boosted by the success of his portrayal in the MCU. I'm a fan of all 3 Cap films, but I'm not confident that they'll be beloved 10, 20, 30 years from now. They were the first fresh, convincing depictions of the character on the big screen, but I'm not sure they were much more than that.

Superman's popularity has been up and down without question, but his historical impact is immortal. Superman is part of this country's history, not just in the fictional comic book universe, but in the real world. This message board itself wouldn't exist without Superman, I'm pretty sure it would without Captain America.

It's important to note, the significance of Superman #1 being the first comic book dedicated to the exploits of a single superhero character. That was a monumental step, signifying that one character alone could sell a book and that one character's popularity trumped the "variety" provided in anthology titles. Imagine going to a club that only played songs by whoever the most popular musician is these days. People would want variety right? But in this case, Superman could sell himself. Uncharted territory for the superhero genre. 

Superman #1 also features the 1st appearance of the Kents, an expanded origin, the "scientific explanation of Superman's powers" and newly illustrated pages completing the story told in Action Comics #1. If Superman #1 was "just" reprints of Action #1-4, you could knock it on those grounds. But there's nearly as much "new material" in Superman #1 as there is Wonder Woman content in All-Star Comics #8...so you can toss the "reprint" knock out the window.

If I had, say $250,000, set aside to buy the best conditioned copy of either book, for FMV, I'd feel more confident in the age, scarcity and historical significance of Superman #1 than I would in the classic cover, incredible illustrations and red hot wave of Cap #1.

11 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

The two biggest hurdles there, IMO, are scarcity and the staying power of Cap's popularity. He's red hot now, and he's always been iconic, but his rise in recent years has been boosted by the success of his portrayal in the MCU. I'm a fan of all 3 Cap films, but I'm not confident that they'll be beloved 10, 20, 30 years from now. They were the first fresh, convincing depictions of the character on the big screen, but I'm not sure they were much more than that.

Superman's popularity has been up and down without question, but his historical impact is immortal. Superman is part of this country's history, not just in the fictional comic book universe, but in the real world. This message board itself wouldn't exist without Superman, I'm pretty sure it would without Captain America.

It's important to note, the significance of Superman #1 being the first comic book dedicated to the exploits of a single superhero character. That was a monumental step, signifying that one character alone could sell a book and that one character's popularity trumped the "variety" provided in anthology titles. Imagine going to a club that only played songs by whoever the most popular musician is these days. People would want variety right? But in this case, Superman could sell himself. Uncharted territory for the superhero genre. 

Superman #1 also features the 1st appearance of the Kents, an expanded origin, the "scientific explanation of Superman's powers" and newly illustrated pages completing the story told in Action Comics #1. If Superman #1 was "just" reprints of Action #1-4, you could knock it on those grounds. But there's nearly as much "new material" in Superman #1 as there is Wonder Woman content in All-Star Comics #8...so you can toss the "reprint" knock out the window.

If I had, say $250,000, set aside to buy the best conditioned copy of either book, for FMV, I'd feel more confident in the age, scarcity and historical significance of Superman #1 than I would in the classic cover, incredible illustrations and red hot wave of Cap #1.

Solid arguments but there is just far more upside in Cap 1, even accounting for its surge.  

-J.

19 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Solid arguments but there is just far more upside in Cap 1, even accounting for its surge.  

-J.

I think a lot of potential upside in "investable" comics like GA mega keys includes overseas collectors. Not sure they will gravitate towards Cap, whereas superman & batman are global brands with international appeal.

4 minutes ago, jabats said:

I think a lot of potential upside in "investable" comics like GA mega keys includes overseas collectors. Not sure they will gravitate towards Cap, whereas superman & batman are global brands with international appeal.

I was in the Middle East recently and Captain America showed up in Israel .  However, outside of Cap I only saw  Supes, bats, and Spidey.  It would be nice if these elementary school kids wearing all this Cap garb these days would correlate to the newest generation of comic collector