• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a Cap 1 ppp these days ?

114 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

So the book is probably going to sell for about twice what I'd have thought possible. That book in your link wasn't trimmed, huge difference there.

O.o

Trimmed is only mentioned twice, to go along with 2 out of 3 sides trimmed.

Berk copy will certainly close much higher than its current bidding .

cap1.1423a.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

Do people dig the cover?   I've never liked that cover at all, and I've always struggled to kind of get why.    

Taking a good look now, perhaps for the first time, I figure its because:

- the logo distracts from the art - the simpler logo from #2 on is much better

- there's kind of a jarring contrast in the way the figures are drawn.    Looking at it as an adult I am kind of guessing that Simon drew Cap and Bucky and Kirby drew the german soldiers in the background?   Hitler is probably part kirby part simon?     

- the coloring (esp when combined with the logo further distracts).  Blue walls, yellow floor, same shades as logo, gah.    Your eye is drawn all  over the place and not in a good way.     I'm left thinking the OA to the cover would look a lot better than the cover.

Do people like it, hate it?   I like the concept of it with the hitler punch and all that, but I've never liked the execution and I think its because of all the jarring elements above.   To me it hits like a sour note.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Do people dig the cover?   I've never liked that cover at all, and I've always struggled to kind of get why.    

- there's kind of a jarring contrast in the way the figures are drawn.    Looking at it as an adult I am kind of guessing that Simon drew Cap and Bucky and Kirby drew the german soldiers in the background?   Hitler is probably part kirby part simon?     

- the coloring (esp when combined with the logo further distracts).  Blue walls, yellow floor, same shades as logo, gah.    Your eye is drawn all  over the place and not in a good way.     I'm left thinking the OA to the cover would look a lot better than the cover.

Do people like it, hate it?   I like the concept of it with the hitler punch and all that, but I've never liked it and I think its because of all the jarring elements above.   To me it hits like a sour note.

I absolutely love this cover.  The only thing I could do without is Bucky.  I think the colors and header are fantastic and the drawing of CAP & Hitler  is head and shoulders above Cap #2 . Love me some original shield too in the fore front.  Love the ears they gave Hitler too.  This is a mega key that I would have to have the cover to feel my book was complete 

If you like the drawing and the header that's one thing but if you like the coloring then that's just cray cray ;)

Since you mentioned #2, I'd agree its in some ways a weaker drawing and yet I'd argue its the more successful image simply because its cleaner (both drawing and header) and far better colored.   

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If you like the drawing and the header that's one thing but if you like the coloring then that's just cray cray ;)

Since you mentioned #2, I'd agree its in some ways a weaker drawing and yet I'd argue its the more successful image simply because its cleaner (both drawing and header) and far better colored.   

Love me some Star Spangled Cheesy header:acclaim:

And I'm Canadian so I'm just looking at the image.   I get that for many Americans there's probably a lot of patriotism tied up in it and that's all well and good :)

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

O.o

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

O.o

cap1.1423a.jpg

LOL. Total brain fart on my part.

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Pass the ganja.  :insane:

-J.

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Do people like it, hate it?   I like the concept of it with the hitler punch and all that, but I've never liked the execution and I think its because of all the jarring elements above.   To me it hits like a sour note.

My favorite cover of the golden age.  I love the logo too.  The more faded copies look worse as far as colors tho. 

This one looks better than the one above.

I've only heard maybe two people say they don't like the cover most do infact love it, and for many reasons.

IMG_4595.JPG

I think the cover plays a big part in the rise too especially as now classic covers seem to be a really hot market.

It's an incredible cover, one of the best super-hero GA covers if not the best IMO

I personally love the colors, the patriotism, cap punching Hitler, it's also the first ever Hitler cover!

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Meh.

There is nothing I have found to be more fruitless (and pointless) on these boards than going into a dedicated thread for a particular book, for the sole purpose of saying how much I "don't like" it or to whine about what it sells for.  

There should be plenty of other books out there for you to talk about that you either own, make you smile, and/or don't bother you for some peculiar reason.  (thumbsu

-J.

Yes and no.    This is not the Cap 1 owner's club or even fan club.   This is solely a market discussion thread and from that POV comments on the book's strengths and weakness are fair game IMO.    Of course its a great book overall, just wondering about opinions on the cover; I don't quite get the love (for the cover).   That being said I guess you have a point as on a deeper level its probably hard to seperate the price watchers of the book from the fans of the cover when it comes to this type of material.  

Edited by Bronty

I'm now predicting that Berk's copy will close at 40k+. Craziness, but that's the world we live in now. The top keys are out of reach for all but a relative few collectors.

Edited by twmjr1

24 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I personally love the cover, the book, and the history of Cap 1.  Such a classic WWII/Hitler/Cap cover

Imo, one of the most interesting things about Cap 1 from a historical pov is that it was actually on the stands in Dec 1940 -- a full year before the U.S. entered WW II.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Imo, one of the most interesting things about Cap 1 from a historical pov is that it was actually on the stands in Dec 1940 -- a full year before the U.S. entered WW II.

Well, that is a very interesting fun fact of the day!  I didn't know that.  Thanks for sharing!