• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cant believe Neal Adams missing art never surfaced

31 posts in this topic

lol I have to admit, that was pretty much exactly my reaction as well.    Theft is always unfortunate but these are easily replaceable and really not special in any way.    It's a shame for Neal though to have to redo them all however.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/4/2017 at 8:28 PM, zhamlau said:

Yeah, a whole week's worth of sketches lost forever...hopefully Neal can soldier on and knock out 10-15 of each of them before weeks end.

I laughed pretty hard when I read this. They are just sketches that Neal does a lot of.

I enjoy his art, but I wasn't pleased when I finally met him. To sum it up, he didn't want to talk to me unless I was going to drop a significant amount of money on his items.

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I'd be a little upset if someone stole a week's paycheck from me.

same here, but according to Neal he just left them in some cabbies car and then proceeded to hype it out to the media like he lost actual art. I sometimes wonder if it was all just some stunt since it never turned up lol.

14 hours ago, jeBailey said:

No one stole this artwork he left it in a cab and it never showed up. Likely someone didn't realize these had value. They may have kept the portfolio and dropped them in the trash.  

Interesting. I went back to re-read as I just looked at this quickly at first as the drawing looked like one of those criminal sketches

Is that really tens of thousands of dollars in art? I knew Neal charged a lot for his art but that seems high even for him. 

2 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Interesting. I went back to re-read as I just looked at this quickly at first as the drawing looked like one of those criminal sketches

Is that really tens of thousands of dollars in art? I knew Neal charged a lot for his art but that seems high even for him. 

Well, you know, NYX #3 went for over $70k :makepoint:

5 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

How much are they? $500 apiece? 500x43 = $21,500

Listen, all, I think Neal is really great person and a huge champion of comics.  Losing artwork that he created must have felt terrible.  I think if any of us somehow misplaced valuable artwork, we'd try to get it back.  I, for one, don't see the humor in this situation and I also think Neal does great work to get folks interested in comics. 

Neal I once had to spend a week re drawing a comic cover for a writer - 25 different covers in total and I was working for free and the pieces took far more time than quick sketches.

On 6/6/2017 at 3:17 PM, J.Sid said:

How much are they? $500 apiece? 500x43 = $21,500

The Vampirella sketch is on the website now for $3500. Who am I to say that's a tad aspirational.

$3500 ea. x 43 = $150,500 :tieddowngif:

The true loss is the artists time and effort. Poor Neal probably never got over that sick feeling. Unless..... if the vampirella is not reproduced but the original drawing.

Maybe he got them back? I'm not inspired to investigate this, but will gladly read here if anyone had legit info.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:48 AM, grapeape said:

The Vampirella sketch is on the website now for $3500. Who am I to say that's a tad aspirational.

The true loss is the artists time and effort. Poor Neal probably never got over that sick feeling. Unless..... if the vampirella is not reproduced but the original drawing.

Maybe he got them back? I'm not inspired to investigate this, but will gladly read here if anyone had legit info.

I am positive I have seen that Black Canary image with her butt sticking out. On the other hand, he could have simply duplicated an earlier piece.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:48 AM, grapeape said:

It looks too like the Spiderman might have been reproduced as well if that's the case (not sure when the theft occurred) such as the one that had sold on Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/neal-adams-amazing-spider-man-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7054-93559.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 3/29/2024 at 10:58 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I am positive I have seen that Black Canary image with her butt sticking out. On the other hand, he could have simply duplicated an earlier piece.

Edited by BFA1971