• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever bought multiple copies of when it came out?
2 2

101 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, comics4all said:

Secret Wars #1 1984 bought 3 copies, was sure there were gonna be worth $ 

As a matter of fact I bought multiple copies of almost the whole series.

I will send a No Prize to the first one who can guess which issue of Secret Wars I did not get multiple copies of.....

Has to be 8

On ‎2017‎/‎06‎/‎06 at 9:48 AM, Knightsofold said:

I had to buy x5 of the bagged mcfarlane spiderman regular version to getthe black bagged one I wanted.

I also bought the x4 or 5 dif jim lee xmen 1 regular version to be able to buy the fold out version I wanted.

Soon after this I stopped collecting new books.

The McFarlane Spider-man drove me out of comics. I didn't return until 2004 and I soon after joined these forums.

Growing up, I was always trying to stretch my comic money as far as I could, so if I could afford two books, I'd buy two DIFFERENT books. It wasn't until X-Force 1 and X-Men 1 that I gave in to the hype and bought all of the covers, because I thought I had to, for some reason.

The odd side effect is that to this day, as an adult, if I find either of those books in NM for 50 cents or less, I buy 'em. I doubt they're even worth that much (X-Force Deadpool card notwithstanding) but those adolescent memories drive me to hoard.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Has to be 8

Correct!

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Has to be 8

A No prize will be coming your way! Good job on buying multiples of a comic that was worth something!

49 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Growing up, I was always trying to stretch my comic money as far as I could, so if I could afford two books, I'd buy two DIFFERENT books. It wasn't until X-Force 1 and X-Men 1 that I gave in to the hype and bought all of the covers, because I thought I had to, for some reason.

The odd side effect is that to this day, as an adult, if I find either of those books in NM for 50 cents or less, I buy 'em. I doubt they're even worth that much (X-Force Deadpool card notwithstanding) but those adolescent memories drive me to hoard.

I was the same way. I wanted 2 different books! didn't have the cash for too many multiples

7 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

No. I remember it had to do with the cover. See the balls of white/blue light around Dazzler on the cover? These were various shades of lighter and darker or something like that. Probably just Joe from Joe's Books and Things (my LCS) getten' the kids excited about something. 

As a kid, Spider-Man # 1 (McFarlane). I can't remember of being more excited about a new comic.

In more recent times, Letter 44.  I picked it up and after reading it, was just amazed at how good a first issue it was. At a dollar a piece, I bought like 10.  I thought it was that good.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:30 AM, 1Cool said:

Collecting runs was my sole purpose as a youth so buying multiples seemed like a waste of cash that could be spend filling holes in series.  I can't remember one friend who bought multiples back in the day.

+1

Daredevil #158 in 1979, I was 13 when it came out. Actually originally bought just one...but after taking it home and reading it, I actually had the only real investment foresight I ever had as a kid and went back to Hooks Drugs in Indianapolis and bought 3 more. I guess the Miller artwork really did it for me. So I sold and traded them at a convention about 2 years later...I think I got $30 for one of them which was a FORTUNE at the time for a new book, Miller was just red-hot at the time. 

On the flip side, buying multiple of every #1 that came out from 1979 through about 1984 was a complete waste of money. Well, except for the Wolverine Limited #1 :smile:

I probably bought a few copies of Punisher ongoing #1, Silver Surfer #1, and a couple of other 1980s books, but Wolverine 1988 #1 came top at 50 copies. I tried getting my parents' friends to buy into that one.

12 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

that glow in the dark Ghost Rider cover.Loved it.And Silver Surfer #50

Oooh, I LOVED and STILL LOVE GR 15 with the Glow cover. I buy them whenever I find them in bargain bins, so I've got 15-20 of them now. Maybe the best gimmick cover of them all.