• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever bought multiple copies of when it came out?
2 2

101 posts in this topic

Thor 337. I bought every copy I could find. Not only at the LCS(which limited the number you could buy), but I scoured 7-11's, Wawa's, Cumberland Farms', anywhere that sold comics. I traded them all eventually, but I had about 50 copies. Did the same thing with 338, but to a much lesser extent.

Alpha Flight 1 and Thing 1. Not sure which came out first, but I bought off the newsstand and got subscriptions. Not great investment decisions (because there is no way I kept that Thing 1 in 9.8 shape and the one that came in the mail sure wasn't)

was really pizzed when i got the subscription and my local shop made all new 60 cent marvels 3/$1 (even x-men, but maybe not something like the WOlverine mini) in a price war to kill his local competition..the subscription wound up being more expensive

Edited by the blob

Detective Comics 27.

The two nicest copies I could find on the newsstand, which I immediately placed in Mylars with acid-free backing boards and have kept in a climate-controlled room ever since.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Peter Parker the Stupid Spider Man #!.  was sure I was gonna be rich off those.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Peter Parker the Stupid Spider Man #!.  was sure I was gonna be rich off those.

It's one of those cautionary tales, like the speculators who invested in multiple copies of Peter Porker.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

It's one of those cautionary tales, like the speculators who invested in multiple copies of Peter Porker.

I remember reading it and thinking man they really cut corners on this the artwork is awful-that was my first glimmer that maybe I wasn't gonna be rich.

7 hours ago, piper said:

I never have purchased multiple copies of a book off the newsstand....:ohnoez:

Same

Wolverine Limited #1.  Bought about a dozen or so but then got out of comics shortly afterwards to focus on video games.  Gave all of my comics to my brother for his half of the Atari 5200 then continued to make fun of him in high school for collecting comics.  Boy was I wrong!  He got me back in to collecting after 25 years away about 10 years ago when he gave me my first CGC graded comic as a gift.  I've been hooked ever since.

8 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

7 copies of Star Wars #1, all the money I could get my hands on... ?

+1

I was in my 20's so buying 25 copies was only about 7 or 8 bucks. Hung on to them for years and have made some pretty good money on them. Still have half a dozen or so.

I also bought a bunch of Howard the Duck #1 as well.

Edited by Robot Man

Well in the early 80's, anything Byrne was suppose to be a can't miss, speculative title :p.  FF #232, Alpha Flight #1, Hulk #314, Superman Man of Steel #1, etc.  Remember the craze with Simonson's Thor, bought multiple copies every month of these issues. 

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

While it wasn't my first, because misery loves company, I will see your 50 Dazzlers with my 50 Elementals #1. (I think I'm down to eight. You?)

Seriously? You want the truth?  Ok, here goes: in early 00s sold off my entire comic collection including the Dazzelers. Probably sold em for less then pennies. Here's the kicker, about four month ago (after rediscovering the hobby again in July 2016) bought a dazzeler 1 (again) for , I dunno, 8 or 10 bucks or 20 bucks. (It's high grade) You know just to have it cause those 50 copies were a big deal in my comic collecting youth. I worked in a comic shop getting paid in credit and that was the first direct only book, I think. I do remember putting stickers on the bags each book was in and writing down something about the color difference on each book, like there was a variation on the intesitites of color on front cover as if a printing mistake. 

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or was I just a crazy comic collecting kid?

Edited by NoMan