• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever bought multiple copies of when it came out?
2 2

101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Oooh, I LOVED and STILL LOVE GR 15 with the Glow cover. I buy them whenever I find them in bargain bins, so I've got 15-20 of them now. Maybe the best gimmick cover of them all.

and the gold second print is pretty snazzy!!

18 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Howard the Duck #1.  Lot of newer collectors probably don't remember how hot this title was back in the day.  Was buying them for cover at the drug store and selling for $5 to $10 each the next day - lot of money back then.

I remember, and I think that beats me temporally, as my first multiple copy purchases were OMAC 1-5, the 20 cent version.

Just now, porcupine48 said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I remember, and I think that beats me temporally, as my first multiple copy purchases were OMAC 1-5, the 20 cent version.

Don't you still have some?

I've still got some of many of the issues listed here.

5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

and the gold second print is pretty snazzy!!

yeah, it really is. Of all of the copies I've snagged, I think I've only found 2 (maybe 3) golds in the cheapie bins. I hope to keep growing my hoard. I'd love to, I dunno, wallpaper a room with 'em.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:03 PM, thehumantorch said:

Howard the Duck #1.  Lot of newer collectors probably don't remember how hot this title was back in the day.  Was buying them for cover at the drug store and selling for $5 to $10 each the next day - lot of money back then.

I missed getting that issue possibly because so many people were buying multiples. Never got one-- not sure it was that big of a miss though.

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I missed getting that issue possibly because so many people were buying multiples. Never got one-- not sure it was that big of a miss though.

I remember how common that was in the early 90s. In general - no great loss, now.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 hours ago, Tony S said:

The 1968 Marvel "first issues" were my brother and I's first purchase of multiple copies. 

I remember being at Portland cons in the 1970s, and several dealers had stacks of those.  I don't remember there being any Iron Man # 1s or Cap 100's, but there were fresh stacks of Sub-Mariner #1, Dr.Strange #169, IM/Subby #1.

I also remember a dealer at a Portland con in the late 80s or so that had put together three packs of ASM 100-102 that were minty fresh.  I just bought one set to replace my "kid" ones.  Wish I had bought them all.