• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics 1 entry price?

234 posts in this topic

FWIW, I'll offer my understanding as someone who dabbles in collecting books, comics, magazines and all kinds of other ephemera.  Marvel Comics #1 (either Oct. or Nov.) is an incredibly rare comic.  I would guess that there are somewhere between 200-300 copies still in existence (although that could be off +/-  200 copies).  This differentiation between the 2 months has been known for some time but everyone still considers either one to be a "first edition".  Conceivably, the November copies are "second printings" of the "first edition".  In any case, both printings are so rare that any delta in the price valuation between the two has traditionally been negligible.  Condition has been a far greater factor in setting the price.  Traditionally.  

However, as someone who has always considered this to be the grail of comic collecting (yes, I'm old school), I'd be overjoyed to own any copy and would probably follow tradition in my own valuation.  Having said that, if I had a choice between 2 copies that were essentially the same grade and the only difference was that one was an October and the other a November, then of course, I'd choose the October- IF the price was the same.  What is that premium worth in dollars to me?  Maybe 10% more.  Probably depends on grade.

I might change my mind if we had more hard facts about how the october and November with overstamp copies were produced but I tend to view it as one print run that was changed for whatever reasons to extend its time on the newsstand until issue #2 arrives. 

So the October dated copies are more of a variant than a separate printing (for me). If I was to consider them as first and second printings then I must consider Batman  #1 to have two seperate printings as well (dot and no dot). Also many issues went back to press with no way of telling so how should I view those since they are "second printings" too even if I can't tell them apart.

I respect anyone's opinion on how they view them though. 

9 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Many collectors call that black "slug" an ink stamp. No 2nd printing. It's October copies with a stamp. Goodman had a squadron of staff stamping those October copies so don't believe everything you read about shifting plates and all that nonsense. There is no November "copy" because the word Oct is right underneath the black stamp that says Nov. If you want to call it Nov/Oct copy, I can dig that. Get in your time machine and prove me wrong.  

While you're at it I'll give you 20 bucks so you can bring me back 200 mint copies.

October or November dates are both fine. (thumbsu

36 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Many collectors call that black "slug" an ink stamp. No 2nd printing. It's October copies with a stamp. Goodman had a squadron of staff stamping those October copies so don't believe everything you read about shifting plates and all that nonsense. There is no November "copy" because the word Oct is right underneath the black stamp that says Nov. If you want to call it Nov/Oct copy, I can dig that. Get in your time machine and prove me wrong.  

Somebody did a gif showing the black slug in the identical spot on every copy.  It was reprinted with the plate in place to cover the October date.  The fact that the ink has faded with time proves nothing.  Knowledge of the printing industry and common sense  is all the "proof" that should be required.  You suggesting that a group of lackies hand stamped each copy is preposterous on its face.  No need for a time machine. (thumbsu 

It's a second printing.  Sorry.   :sorry:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2f2dbaf0-a627-495c-9773-5ed10bdeb11b_zps

6 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

No kidding - the problem here is that a modern myopic viewpoint just doesn't translate well to a printing process done 8 decades ago.

...not to mention self-righteous opinion presented as fact.

Why do I feel like starting a thread about ads in comics being the real first appearances of characters? :devil:

Action comics #1 is not Supermans first appearance...:baiting:

Really. It's not.:makepoint:

Just now, N e r V said:

Why do I feel like starting a thread about ads in comics being the real first appearances of characters? :devil:

Even better, a text story being the first cover appearance! :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

2f2dbaf0-a627-495c-9773-5ed10bdeb11b_zps

...not to mention self-righteous opinion presented as fact.

...says the guy who just quoted himself.  :eyeroll: .....while offering no facts nor understanding of the printing process in spite of what multiple boardies have stated about this matter over the years.

Don't stop believin'.

-J.

2 minutes ago, Ameri said:

whew, just got back. Here it is. Note da key words: "Intro" "1st Timely" = No Reprint, No 2nd printing, NO NUTTIN. Sorry Jay

20160827_104208.jpg

Awesome book.  Congrats on owning a copy at all.  Big time props.  (worship)

-J.

8 minutes ago, Ameri said:

whew, just got back. Here it is. Note da key words: "Intro" "1st Timely" = No Reprint, No 2nd printing, NO NUTTIN. Sorry Jay

20160827_104208.jpg

Boo! Hiss!

crummy second printing! :facepalm:

(hey is that comic in a pantry or kitchen???)

w t f ?

25 minutes ago, Ameri said:

20160827_104208.jpg

That's a crummy 2nd print you have there buddy :)

Edited by Primetime