• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN books -- please help [UPDATED 8/17]

68 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

The detective has subpoenas for eBay, Paypal, etc to get his information and thanks to another user, other relevant information from a purchase he made with this thief. Next step is to get a warrant to search his house (hopefully he's still here!)...

If anyone knows someone who may have bought books from him and still has his shipping details or better yet the packaging, then please contact me (I can give you the detective's contact info). I'd really appreciate it.

BUT please do not contact him via eBay directly -- the detective does not want him getting wind of the investigation or spooked in which case the chance of recovering my books goes down dramatically. 

Thanks everyone for your help and concern!

12 minutes ago, slg343 said:

Did you have a new mutants 98 cgc 9.6?  Guy in Hawaii selling slabs.on Facebook at reduced prices

If so the other large collection that was stolen out of shed along with chain saw the police answered the CL ad and did a sting and recovered the books and prison time for miscreant.  The guy if I remember had to push the cops and keep calling though.

11 hours ago, kav said:

If so the other large collection that was stolen out of shed along with chain saw the police answered the CL ad and did a sting and recovered the books and prison time for miscreant.  The guy if I remember had to push the cops and keep calling though.

Yes, and the chainsaw was the item that garnered the attention from the police, not the comics so much.

Can someone please explain to me how eBay works in this case? 

This was posted a few days ago showing all the thief's completed sales:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/a.estates808/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

Here are the books he/she has sold in the last 15 days.

I printed those pages out and there were 30 listings of my books. BUT, when I went in this morning, just to check if more books were sold, there are only 5 listings! What does that mean? Thanks for any clarity on this!

Edited by MikeinHI

Ps I cannot imagine the nightmare of watching your books getting sold right before your very eyes.  Stay strong.

4 minutes ago, MikeinHI said:

The 30 were not open/new listings... They were "Completed listings"under the Show only filter in the left hand column... Thanks

Oh I see.  Maybe a settings thing?  There is no reason for them to be deleted by ebay.  Can anyone else still see them?

Seems to be a settings issue... Have to click the "15" under his feedback, then "items for sale", then "sold listings" and everything showed up (46 items). Unfortunately, that also meant 15 more books than I had originally thought... :-( 

2 hours ago, MikeinHI said:

Seems to be a settings issue... Have to click the "15" under his feedback, then "items for sale", then "sold listings" and everything showed up (46 items). Unfortunately, that also meant 15 more books than I had originally thought... :-( 

Well if you can't show that to the dectives on the case,or they are not contacting eBay for an address of the seller then I'm seriously questioning the validity of any of this. Your stolen property is being allowed to be sold,for sale,ECT by someone that the police have an ability to confront directly yet you say don't give him wind of this per the police. Something isn't adding up here to be honest. I lived on Oahu and Maui, I understand how it goes there.  My boys would have been beating this guy when the police showed up if it was my stuff and I still lived in Hawaii.  You're on the big island, it's very localized,  get a cop to this guys house,get your remaining books, and handle it. Or drop it. I'll buy a book,send me a link to his listing of your book,I'll get a return address and I'll send some of my local boys to pay a visit to him. Step up or move past it. PERIOD

Edited by KryptoSpidey

29 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Well if you can't show that to the dectives on the case,or they are not contacting eBay for an address of the seller then I'm seriously questioning the validity of any of this. Your stolen property is being allowed to be sold,for sale,ECT by someone that the police have an ability to confront directly yet you say don't give him wind of this per the police. Something isn't adding up here to be honest. I lived on Oahu and Maui, I understand how it goes there.  My boys would have been beating this guy when the police showed up if it was my stuff and I still lived in Hawaii.  You're on the big island, it's very localized,  get a cop to this guys house,get your remaining books, and handle it. Or drop it. I'll buy a book,send me a link to his listing of your book,I'll get a return address and I'll send some of my local boys to pay a visit to him. Step up or move past it. PERIOD

You cant buy a book he currently has none for sale.  Cops typically drag their feet on these cases hell the guy with $120,000 worth of stolen books had to beg and plead with the cops to go after the guy who was selling them on craigslist.   It was only when they learned that a chainsaw had also been stolen that they became interested at all.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

You cant buy a book he currently has none for sale.  Cops typically drag their feet on these cases hell the guy with $120,000 worth of stolen books had to beg and plead with the cops to go after the guy who was selling them on craigslist.   It was only when they learned that a chainsaw had also been stolen that they became interested at all.

Yeah,like I said,when I lived in Hawaii if this was me,it would have been handled by the locals, and the cops would have followed. It's just how things are handled there. You don't steal from the locals or the locals will collect on it .

1 minute ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Yeah,like I said,when I lived in Hawaii if this was me,it would have been handled by the locals, and the cops would have followed. It's just how things are handled there. You don't steal from the locals or the locals will collect on it .

I hear ya and that would have been awesome a sacrifice for Pele